U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 PM

2,873 posts, read 6,426,183 times

Advertisements

I was going too post my video but Robyn beat me to it (the top one she posted). That second video was awesome. I had not seen that one.

Read my posts in this thread:
Moving from ct to florida

It is older but much still applies. A lot of people found it helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:27 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,987,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I was going too post my video but Robyn beat me to it (the top one she posted). That second video was awesome. I had not seen that one.

Read my posts in this thread:
Moving from ct to florida

It is older but much still applies. A lot of people found it helpful.
Excellent post. I think the people who uploaded the 2010 Florida youtube that I linked used your 2009 post as the basis for their script . BTW - I think that the job market is better now than in 2009 - but only in the sense that there are more jobs. They aren't necessarily easily accessible or better paying jobs. For example - there are more construction jobs now than at the depths of the housing bust. But - up here in NE Florida - a lot of those jobs involve working for large national builders (many small builders went out of business in the housing bust). And many of the crews are 100% Mexican (legal or illegal? - I don't know). They are non-union jobs - and the pay is low.

As for working in a place like Publix (which is a great place to work in Florida) - the stores here are very much local employers. Kids often start working there in high school as baggers (minimum wage). And will often continue working their way up at Publix when they're in college. Some stay after college and work their way into management. For many people - it's more of a career path than a job.

OTOH - Publix is very much an equal opportunity employer that doesn't discriminate. Our local Publix has a 96 year old employee (who is still sharp). She's a "food demo" lady. She says she doesn't need the money - but needs something to keep her busy. So - if you're an older person who moves here and wants to work part-time - well there are much worse places in terms of finding employment.

In terms of being a server in a good restaurant (ones with good tips) - a lot of them here are college students. So there is tons of competition. Same when it comes to landing a good sales job - like at Best Buy.

Finally - it seems that the OP has decided not to move to Florida at this point:

My fiancé just proved himself as a real man...

Which makes sense for a variety of reasons. Should she think about moving down here in the future - there are many issues that she hasn't yet explored. Like medical care/insurance. Both for an unmarried woman with a young child - like her - and a pre-Medicare relatively low income senior (her fiance). It's a pretty complicated area that covers a lot of ground - from Medicaid to ACA coverage/subsidies. Note that the availability of ACA companies/policies can vary a lot from one county/zip code to another. There seem to be lots of options in some parts of the state (Miami comes to mind) - very few in others (like where I live). So the OP has her homework cut out for her. Robyn

Old 04-28-2016, 03:13 PM

708 posts, read 506,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I too am always surprised at the number of people on C-D that move to Florida only to suddenly realize the weather can be hot & humid???????????? That's like living in New England and suddenly realizing we get ice & snow in the winter.

That is doing no home work or they just do not think it could be that bad. Great thing about Florida
is for us snowbirds. We get tired of crappy weather up north in the winter we can just go to Florida. Some may not like snowbirds but we all spend money and most of us are not interested in working and taking someone's job because we are done working

Old 04-29-2016, 02:10 PM

8,248 posts, read 11,962,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Here are 2 snarky you tubes about people who want to move to Florida/Miami. The point of view they express is perhaps one reason why many posters on the Florida boards are snarky too (too many people come here with totally unrealistic expectations)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I prefer videos such as this one about living in North Beach...or this one about living in downtown Miami....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Reckon you're not a family of 3 with a young kid trying to live on $31k/year either .

Reckon you didn't notice that the OP never once mentioned moving to Miami; you're the one who brought it to the conversation. My post was in direct response to you posting a snarky video specifically about Miami; it had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's financial and family situation.

Other than that, great comeback!

Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,987,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Reckon you didn't notice that the OP never once mentioned moving to Miami; you're the one who brought it to the conversation. My post was in direct response to you posting a snarky video specifically about Miami; it had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's financial and family situation.

Other than that, great comeback!
The OP said "Florida". Which - like I stated in this and other threads - covers a whole lot of ground (in many ways). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or