U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:39 AM

108 posts, read 81,504 times

Advertisements

My 62-year-old fiancé, me (44), and our 3-year-old son want to move to Florida. My fiancé is retired and makes $31,000 a year with his pension and Social Security. We plan on using $15K in savings to move down here. I plan on getting a job there. We want to live no more than 20 miles from the beach. Any tips or advice would be welcome (no rudeness, please). Also would like to hear from those retirees who moved to Florida...would like your feedback, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 11:44 AM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
From age 6 thru 19, I was raised both outside Garrett, Indiana and on a hog farm outside Churubusco, Indiana.

Anyway, what part of Florida? Wife and I are in our later 60's and live in northeastern Florida. Been here since January '09. We really, thought we'd like it here, but it's turns out to be "not our cup of tea" anymore. After moving here, we learned very quickly, just how humid it can get. I thought Indiana was humid in the summer, nothing compared to Florida. Florida isn't necessarily the "retirement state" it use to be, however, certain parts are. We are into power boating, but like boating on lakes back in Colorado (south of Denver) much more. We lived there for 5 1/2 years and are planning on returning. By then, we will both be retired and not have to face "Old Man Winter" nearly as much (as in going to work and back home). Two other things to get use to here, the little Geico lizards running all over the place (houses, condo's and apartment complexes) and bugs. Yes, bugs and Florida is well known for bugs. As far as gators go, other than at the zoo, we've seen one small one since living here.

Well, hope this helps some. Basically, the only place we haven't been in Florida is in the panhandle. There are a lot of people here that see Florida as their "Dream Home", but that's not us.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:10 PM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
I live around Indianapolis, and though I'm not retired, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it from the limited time I've spent in FL.

Indiana is just too gloomy in the winter and we had snow on the ground this morning. Considering there's just not a lot of reason for me to live here (scenery or personally), I'd love moving to FL.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:25 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
What is going to happen in a year or so when you get tired of the weather? Most people will tire of all of the hot and humid weather.

And what about the schools? I am surprised that a 3 year old that that does not play into the decision.

Everybody loves certain states due to lower taxes and the good weather. Then they make the move and find out all of the things that they had in Indiana.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:04 PM

4,358 posts, read 3,692,049 times
I would suggest renting so it is easy to move if you do not like the place.

The climate is different between the lower part of the state and the top. I know a lot of people who are moving from the bottom of the state to the middle section. The middle section will have a few days of frost.

In general I think you will find wages lower in FL, but then the cost of living is a little lower.

Why no more than 20 miles from the shore? My guess is that this area could be a higher cost of living area and if you only go to the shore a few times a year you might find the middle of the state better. You would probably be 50 miles from the shore. Also remember hurricanes. The middle of the state could be a better choice.

I would start my search by trying to find the better school districts. Say find the top 10 or 20 and then start working on which one offers you the best location.

The type of work you want to do could also be important as it might be easier to get a job in your occupation in a metropolitan area as opposed to a rural.

I think you will find most retirement communities will not permit children.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:14 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
$15K sounds like a lot for moving expenses. We moved back to FL from Arizona for less than half that, a 2000 mile move.

Florida spreads out to different weather and lifestyles. Northeast FL is noticeably cooler in winter, inland Orlando tends to be warmer in summer. Miami has a large latino population. Schools vary with the community.

You have much research to do.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:20 PM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
I don't understand the anti-Florida bias on C-D.

FL is a much, much more populous state and far more diverse than anywhere in Indiana. FL has several major metros: Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville. Indiana has one - Indianapolis. FL also has numerous secondary metros to correspond to metros the size of Fort Wayne and Evansville. There's simply way more of everything in FL, and the Hispanic culture adds something not found in Indiana.

IN has state plus county level income taxes. In some counties, that local income tax rate is ~3%. Add the flat ~3.5% state income tax on top of that, and you're looking at 5%-6% in state and county level income taxes that simply won't exist in FL. FL has a lower sales tax than IN, and comparable property tax rates in the nicer jurisdictions. The OP didn't say what part of IN they were in, and yes, the COL is going to be cheaper in small town Indiana than it will be in the major FL metros. I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis, and the place is nice, but not cheap. Insurance is going to be more in FL, but your tax savings should way more than make up for that. Who knows - wages in most FL metros may be lower than Indianapolis, but I can't imagine you'd make much less going from some podunk town in IN to a large FL metro.

It's silly to compare schools on a state to state basis. Within each state, there are jurisdictions with great schools, and jurisdictions with lousy ones. They need to zero in on certain communities in FL they want to live in, and check schools there, or research the best schools, then build off that. There are plenty of small town, Indy public schools, and rural school districts in IN that aren't worth a darn compared to the affluent schools where I'm at. The same can be said in FL.

I'm not trying to dump on Indiana - I'm doing fairly well here and live a comfortable, but living in the most affluent city in the state is not representative of how most people in Indiana live. I'm not from Indiana, but I think Indianapolis is a boring city for its size, and there simply isn't much to do in this state. Still, when you contrast the high taxes in IN, the long winters (today in Indy it's ~40 with straight line winds - Tallahassee is 75), and the lack of scenery/outdoors things to do, to me, FL is a superior place to live.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:57 PM

9,185 posts, read 8,281,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
My 62-year-old fiancé, me (44), and our 3-year-old son want to move to Florida. My fiancé is retired and makes $31,000 a year with his pension and Social Security. We plan on using $15K in savings to move down here. I plan on getting a job there. We want to live no more than 20 miles from the beach. Any tips or advice would be welcome (no rudeness, please). Also would like to hear from those retirees who moved to Florida...would like your feedback, too.
My suggestion would be to go for the job first and then move.

Good paying jobs are difficult to find unless you have a specialization such as medicine, healthcare, etc and not in an entry level position.

Publix is the only company that I can think of that starts its employees out with a living wage and they promote from within.

In some areas (South Florida, Sarasota), $31,000 a year will not support a family of three.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:07 PM

536 posts, read 631,272 times
It depends on what kind of job you intend to have.

Service jobs are low paid but plentiful in 20 miles of the ocean. Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando will have more plentiful jobs, but Orlando is more inland.

Research the schools in those metro areas. JAX and Miami are near the ocean. Crunch the numbers on taxes--Fl has no state tax--but remember that cities set their own sales tax (mine is 7%) and that if you are buying a house you have to consider property tax and also storm (well over a thousand) and home insurance (over a thousand for me). Very expensive. Car insurance (for me in SE FL, in the 1500 range and I have never had an accident and have discounts). SE Fl is not cheap. And some parts of FL I have seen for me would not be liveable.

Take a long road trip (up and down and criss-cross) around the state and see what it's like. It will tell you so much. Some of FL is like the Heart of Darkness. Other parts are OK, but even those might not be good for a public school.

Mainly, as other posters have said, compare schools because FL is inferior to Indiana in the general quality (ie funding) of its schools.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 04-09-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,085,728 times
You can buy a decent condo for under $60,000 in our gated complex near Tampa. Although only 2 miles from the Gulf, good beaches are about 15 miles away. Condo fees are about $238/month. Great pool, 2/3 of the complex is 55+ (your finance qualifies, so the family does) the other 1/3 is open, so other kids are around. Very well maintained, with lots of snowbirds (like me). Schools are close by and have a reasonable rating.

6338 Spring Flower Dr UNIT 26, New Port Richey, FL 34653 | MLS #T2806323 | Zillow

P.S. This is the most expensive right now, a number are in the mid $40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or