U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This isn't retirement in the traditional sense at all though.

I could save up $30k-$40k and take off for a year. These days, I'd be more worried about how an employer would view that than the difficulty of saving up the cash.
That's why I mentioned their career fields. They are highly in demand in their eventual landing place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 AM

2,241 posts, read 990,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
One supposes that some people were just born retired....

My cunning plan is entirely the reverse: to keep working full-time at my office job, but to "retire" from everything else: domestic chores, cooking, managing investments. I'm quite content with a 60+ hour workweek, provided that outside of work, everything is done by hired-help, or by other means.
I have a friend in Ohio that did the same thing. When his wife got pregnant I asked him whether he had outsourced that as well.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,289,708 times
Quote:
Retirement is mostly dependent on how much you want to spend. Living in a box and eating from garbage takes about $0 a month...
Hey…there's a personal finance thread that asks about the benefits of being homeless.

I will say that this thread once again touches on the various ways one can define "retirement."

Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,851,233 times
Except for those who simply inherit grandma's money, anyone who by their own merit is able to "not work" from their 20's-on, probably has too many 'smarts' and too much ambition --- to simply sit around and watch TV. "Retirement" for someone in their 20's is, otherwise, somewhat of a misnomer (retire from what?).

Granted, there are probably some super-wealthy athletes and pop-stars who are financially able to "retire", but, even there, the self-discipline, ambition and drive that earned them their fortune, will likely not allow them to 'idle' their life away doing nothing.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:11 AM

33,905 posts, read 42,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Yeah I am working on digging some oil wells in my backyard. So far just night crawlers and no oil

I'm doing that, too, even though oil drilling is illegal in Maryland is banned. I figure if I bring a well in the law will be changed for me for the tax revenue.

All I've hit is water (high water table) at 2 feet.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM

13,686 posts, read 8,589,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I know it sounds nonsense but i'm hearing about this stuff.

And i saw this blog post.

How To Retire in Your 20s

Has anyone done something like this??

It seems difficult and ambitious but not impossible.

One has to be frugal of course.

Saving from an early age(possibly before 18) and getting no or little college debt seems like key points.

After couple of years work and aggressive savings it seems doable.

But you need good stock returns which are not possible at the moment.

Retiring at 25-28 sounds nice
I don't know the exact age, but we have people who do that around here.

They just announce to a public health official that they feel like buying an AK 47 and mowing people down. And, BANG!, they are on disability for the rest of their lives.

Welfare, disability, some other programs - they all create people who will never work again. All you need to do, IMO, is check your pride at the front door and they'll let you in.
Oddly enough, admission seems to be permanent. I've never seen anyone come back out.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:29 AM

23,609 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Except for those who simply inherit grandma's money, anyone who by their own merit is able to "not work" from their 20's-on, probably has too many 'smarts' and too much ambition --- to simply sit around and watch TV. "Retirement" for someone in their 20's is, otherwise, somewhat of a misnomer (retire from what?).

Granted, there are probably some super-wealthy athletes and pop-stars who are financially able to "retire", but, even there, the self-discipline, ambition and drive that earned them their fortune, will likely not allow them to 'idle' their life away doing nothing.
Like you said, I doubt the people able to retire in their 20s just whittle the days away. Many probably have some other passion that keeps them engaged and doing things, even if it's not traditional employment.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
If I EVER mention that I want a TV in retirement... Just send over the Lawerence Welk tapes... That will do.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM

7,802 posts, read 4,395,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

They just announce to a public health official that they feel like buying an AK 47 and mowing people down. And, BANG!, they are on disability for the rest of their lives.

Welfare, disability, some other programs - they all create people who will never work again. All you need to do, IMO, is check your pride at the front door and they'll let you in.
Oddly enough, admission seems to be permanent. I've never seen anyone come back out.
Exactly; I've noticed that most of the featured hoarders on those shows claim "early retirement"; no doubt it's a disability check for one thing or another. That also doesn't count, in my book.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,073,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Well said and so true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement