U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:13 PM

33,876 posts, read 42,076,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
You had to **** on your own time!!!!?????

Teacher. Which was no different than working in a factory. Two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch was time for the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,853,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Teacher. Which was no different than working in a factory. Two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch was time for the bathroom.
LOL- so when did you have time for your PB&J and milk? I never thought that retirement might mean the freedom to**** at your leisure, but ya know...... you're right!

Old 04-13-2016, 03:28 PM

7,894 posts, read 5,024,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I think that many people don't feel like they have to earn free time to enjoy it. We were born into childhood (the fruit of someone else's labor ) and frankly leisure pretty much goes downhill from there in both quantity and quality, at least IMO. I do like to feel I am needed and have a purpose but I don't feel like I need to achieve some goal before I would enjoy setting my own schedule.
One of the dispositive burdens of life is the burden of exceeding our parents' achievements. This becomes quite clear relatively early in childhood. I felt it no later than around age 11 or 12. My father was an engineer, as am I. It would be ludicrous and irresponsible to conclude my engineering-career before I've published more technical papers than he published, before I give more talks at more conferences, before I am involved in more engineering-designs and so forth. Were I to have had a son, presumably he'd be born with the same congenital burden (and reluctance to levy this upon another human being is one of many reasons that I'm adamantly child-free).

One thing that boggles me about American culture is why it is that young people don't approach their education and career with ferocious intensity, with concerted plan to attenuate their efforts and dedication as they age. Indeed, more common is to be dissolute and lax in one's teens and twenties, accelerating in one's 30s and becoming a workaholic during middle-age. I prefer the reverse, of vehemently straining myself while still young, slowing down now in my 40s, and coasting on a pleasant workplace perch in my 50s and beyond, to the point where distinction between retirement and non-retirement is blurred. Some people work hard throughout life. My point is that it's so rare to find people who front-load the balance of labor in their lives, except perhaps for professional athletes/entertainers and the like.

Now regarding the "idle" rich. There are two prerequisites, as I see it, assuming that one is already rich, or somehow became that way. The first is maintaining a good rate or return. Were I to have been a billionaire, I'd still not feel comfortable and contented with my money, for in the present climate of low-returns, no amount of capital is sufficient, no matter how large. Second, idleness must be earned, at least according my reckoning. Thus to join the "idle rich" one must have the good fortune of living in prosperous economic times, where decent rates of return on capital are possible, and one must have labored sufficiently in one's own life, to merit the reward of idleness.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:30 PM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
Actually, today we have the "idle poor." It's the wealthy people who are out laboring to support them.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:53 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, today we have the "idle poor." It's the wealthy people who are out laboring to support them.
It's a mix at both ends. Some of of the wealthy are heirs and there hasn't been any labor in generations (pushing the stacks of money around to buy and sell properties/businesses I don't count as labor); others put in a lot of hard work. But great wealth has become the modern equivalent of royalty. The world's 100 richest families have more combined wealth than the poorest 1,000,000,000 families combined wealth. At the other end of the spectrum, 75% of welfare recipients in the US have jobs; they just don't pay enough to make ends meet. They did a study on that at Berkley:

The High Public Cost of Low Wages | Center for Labor Research and Education

And it turns put that who is really being subsidized is the corporations and in turn the wealthy because these programs enable them to employ people for less than a living wage and then the taxpayers will pick up the difference.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM

Um, a lot of Welfare recipients earn money under the table and fail to report it, if that's what you mean. But I doubt if it's 75% nationwide. And most wealthy people didn't get that way by being "idle."

Old 04-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Um, a lot of Welfare recipients earn money under the table and fail to report it, if that's what you mean. But I doubt if it's 75% nationwide. And most wealthy people didn't get that way by being "idle."
I think you are right; some welfare recipients actually make enough where maybe they could barely squeak by without help; not many but some. Your last statement is laughably untrue though.

The ‘Self-Made’ Myth: Our Hallucinating Rich

That's a link. It provides some substance so I don't come off as just making this up or believing unsubstantiated claims due to party affilliation (I don't have one, BTW) or life circumstance.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 PM

Most of the world's billionaires made their own fortunes - Business Insider

Dave "Debt-free" Ramsey holds regular millionaire call-in shows; not one so far inherited it. I'm worth 1/2 mil, and I certainly didn't inherit (nor steal) it. You're either smart with money or you're not. I've heard that you could divide the wealth equally -- everyone's dream these days -- tomorrow and, one year from now, the poor would be poor again and the rich would be rich again. And I firmly believe it. It's not how much you have; it's what you do with it. Or, more importantly, what you DON'T do with it.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Most of the world's billionaires made their own fortunes - Business Insider

Dave Ramsey holds regular "millionaire" call-in shows; not one so far inherited it. I'm worth 1/2 mil, and I certainly didn't inherit (nor steal) it. You're either smart with money or not...
I almost feel guilty. You obviously didn't have time to follow and read my link. It exposes some flaws (rips apart the basic premise) of the info that those articles are based on.

Oh yeah, Dave Ramsey claim? here are a couple of calls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGTgbxCtsdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC_DDFmyWBA

I get it. You really want to believe that. You probably still do even in the face of contradictory evidence. But here is the thing, even if you were right, is that really the right way for us as a society? To have winners who make millions of times as much as the losers? Life of luxury? Yes, absolutely, I think that's more than fair if you are really innovative or hard working. But the scale of economic difference is mind boggling; way beyond what I think anyone can logically defend.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 04-15-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
[I've heard that you could divide the wealth equally -- everyone's dream these days -- tomorrow and, one year from now, the poor would be poor again and the rich would be rich again. And I firmly believe it. It's not how much you have; it's what you do with it. Or, more importantly, what you DON'T do with it.
Dividing the wealth equally is the dream of everyone? I have not heard this from anyone except the far right misquoting liberals. Another source would be nice, maybe one I haven't debunked in a previous post this time if that isn't too much to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement