U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,613 posts, read 39,986,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the aca subsidy requirements intentionally did not make net worth part of the equation . it is strictly taxable income driven by design .

some folks just are smarter and more knowledgeable in their planning .
And it helps to live in urban areas that swing votes. Bonus subsidy if you vote democr. (I found that interesting, but maybe heavy democr areas just happen to have lower cost of care )

Rural prices are really high in A(?)CA pricing. (Sometimes 10x) Especially the remote areas in western USA. Hours away from care = bonus premiums pay now & pay later

Very ez to plan that into your retirement,,,
1) sell generations old ranch and move to town for HC. Sounds so simple

No need for fine and fancy Drs. For us...

1).Get sick
2) mortgage the farm for future generations to pay for HC
3) Spend all the farm assets
4) die
5) leave spouse broke and homeless

In reality, that is how it works for many.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-13-2016 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 PM

71,663 posts, read 71,801,099 times
we purposely retired in nyc and not pa as we planned just because we have some of the best doctors and finest facility's in all areas .

Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Meanwhile Bernie Sanders is looking for a job at age 74. And Trump wants to keep working at age 69.

Trading So Cal for TN is suicidal. No one could pay me to live in TN.

Are you sure?
Just keep on thinkin' that way. We don't need our secret to get out.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,921,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coasting View Post
California is cost prohibitive relative to excessive state income tax. Plus the state is run by complete liberal loons who prefer the nanny state. Liberal policies suppress my civil liberties.

Cali wont have the chance to steal my money anymore

I promise not to respond to any other political questions in this thread

-WC

So you want to trade in the so-called liberal loons in California for the loons in the Tennessee Senate who just passed a bill to make the bible the official state book? Even the Republican Governor thought that was too crazy even for the bible-belt conservatives who run that state, but his veto may still be overridden by the loons who have no concept of what the First Amendment is all about.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 AM

He just said he won't respond to political questions, so you quote that, and then ask a political question....

Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
He just said he won't respond to political questions, so you quote that, and then ask a political question....
TheShadow,

MMoB's question is a rhetorical one.

WC's statement was very political which deserves a political response.

It is my vain hope that people would not bring their political views to non political forums or discussions. However, when a poster starts it up, it's appropriate for others to provide their POV.

I think the moderators have been doing a good jobs in the retirement forum in preventing thread diversions especially when the personal insult or mud slinging starts.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:07 AM

9,893 posts, read 3,279,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
. Lots of people make the mistake of doing dental restoration when they come into money without realizing they have to keep doing it over and over every ten years potentially.
I have 3 implants and 1 cap. The implants were the result of an accident and the cap a broken tooth. All of them were many years ago. The maintenance is non existent, each year the dentist taps them , takes and image and they are all fine.

Best money I ever spent in my life. I went from a mouth full of plastic and inflammation to biting apples like a teenager. 20 years and counting.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM

71,663 posts, read 71,801,099 times
i had 6 implants done 7-8 years ago , 25k . hidden diabetes had me rejecting 3 of them .

just had 4 more put in for 17k this year . now my wife needs one too .

last year my wife did have to have a lot of caps replaced that she had cosmetic work on about 10 years ago . a few ended up having bacteria sneak in and needed root canals under the caps so they had to be replaced .

Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
TheShadow,

MMoB's question is a rhetorical one.
I realize that. Just thought that the inflammatory political comments regarding TN and it's legislature were not really helpful or germaine to the topic of this thread.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 293,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Meanwhile Bernie Sanders is looking for a job at age 74. And Trump wants to keep working at age 69.

Trading So Cal for TN is suicidal. No one could pay me to live in TN.

Are you sure?
Suicidal? hardly. I would take TN over SoCal in a second. That's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or