U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:12 AM

341 posts, read 171,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coasting View Post
Checking in. We built a new home on 8.87 acres in Northern/Middle TN and have been living in our new home for 2.5 months. Very rural and just what we were looking for. Having a real cold spell right now that has the wife locked down inside lol....

I do not miss California save the weather. However, it did provide me and my family well over the 37 years we lived there

The one thing I have learned about retirement is... when we are working, and in the heat of all the BS that comes with it, it is easy to identify the reasons you want to retire. Now that I have been retired a little over 6 months, what I have come to find is I have almost forgotten everything I disliked about my job. You start forgetting why you retired and that now everyday feels like 'Saturday'. It takes some effort for me to reflect on my working days. And then, the past comes back into the light and I am glad we decided to not only to leave my job, but California all together.

WC
Congratulations on your new house and retirement!

Tennessee has so much to offer for beauty, low COL and southern hospitality. Funny that so many on here stereotype southerners and the South but that will never change. My best friend moved from New York to Tennessee, bought a horse and said she would never move back. Our next door neighbors are from New York and moved here 5 years ago. They built a pool and added a hot tub and love it here. Just like most areas of the country there are good places to live in a state and bad places. The people who move here from California talk about how green it is here. Glad to know there are still open minded people who see the positives of living in Tennessee.

To each their own but I have not found one person tell me they are moving to California or up North to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 12:34 PM

8,114 posts, read 12,685,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
My plan is similar but at 54 with about 23 months to go. I can't wait and will just figure it out with a part-time role if needed.
My state pension is undreduced after 30 years at which point I'll be 52. I have a local pension that will provide an additional 25% of my highest three years' avg salary, but that is reduced until age 55.

Based on my current highest three years' avg the difference between age 52 and 55 in the local pension is ~$400/mo ($1765 vs $2162).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or