U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:05 AM

10,465 posts, read 5,935,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Stopped reading after this. It's a lot easier when your way of making money is just taking it from everyone else at an unjustifiably higher rate than the plebs can attain without state extortion.
Wait what? Living near DC I know a lot about government workers and it's common knowledge that government jobs pay less than private sector, a lot less depending on the field. They trade in a lower paycheck for benefits down the road. Nothing wrong with that at all. I get tired of people bashing our government workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:34 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
Thanks Dave. I was a little surprised by that comment too. Clearly uninformed on government salaries and their private sector equivalents. Great benefits, but you also have to remember that your ability to move and live where you want is also restricted when you must stay with one employer for 25-35 years.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:12 PM

923 posts, read 722,896 times
I sort of get the same feeling when someone talks about teachers and their lovely summers and pay. Hilarious. Remember, for any job you discuss in negative terms, you are more than happy to apply.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Nice life --- you teachers have it made. And you know it, but most of you won't admit it.
Don't get me started. All you hear about is how underpaid they are. Great pension. Great working conditions. Work about 180 days a year or less if you include all the in services, etc. And you only need to be average academically.

There, I got that off my chest.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wait what? Living near DC I know a lot about government workers and it's common knowledge that government jobs pay less than private sector, a lot less depending on the field. They trade in a lower paycheck for benefits down the road. Nothing wrong with that at all. I get tired of people bashing our government workers.
For the record, I"m a "retired government worker." It used to be true that govt workers made less, but with the advent of unions, that's not true anymore in most cases. There's nothing quite like a government job including teaching, Fed, state and local, and special districts, etc... particularly when you add i benefits and rich retirement payouts.

There, I said it.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM

This is getting away from the OP, so I'll hold my tongue. However, you do not have even close to the facts of actual teaching (elementary school). You have knowledge based on your history or incorrect news reports. You can't generalize "teachers" as one group that works 180 days per year. Classic!

Old 04-11-2016, 02:47 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
This is getting away from the OP, so I'll hold my tongue. However, you do not have even close to the facts of actual teaching (elementary school). You have knowledge based on your history or incorrect news reports. You can't generalize "teachers" as one group that works 180 days per year. Classic!
Right. It wasn't even close. I think a lot of people think we don't contribute to our retirement and have healthcare costs covered.

Nothing like shorting a contract length by 20 days.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM

Last week, I took a student to an EyeGlass Factory. His eyesight is really bad and I noticed it this year. I had it tested. His mom could not get him to the doctor so I did. She is attending city college to earn a degree to better her life, but classes are all day. I took him there, got him all set, had it paid, and had time to hang at Trader Joe's and get some water. This was not part of my "day" but is the part of teaching that I never question. It just has to happen for kids like this. Otherwise, they drop out and end up in my area not doing well and that's not good for anyone.

He's a great kid and was struggling to see the board from the front row! Now, he says, "You were right Mr. Regan! I can see the mountains and numbers on the homes. I can see the math problems!"

Now, I get to leave my room and coach the track team, which I also do Thursday mornings at 7:45. We have a big relay against a private school and nothing is better than beating a private school in track!

Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,268,333 times
Teaching is far more exhaustive than non teachers could ever imagine. Ignorant commenters seem to think that their teachers only worked for the 55 minutes they taught them. DW taught SPED for 25 years at middle school, the first 15 as a single mother, with a Masters, and the last 6 years all she could do was head straight to bed after school for at least 2 hours to recover her nerves and strength. How would you like to have your eating and bodily functions regulated by a bell?
When she wondered when she could retire from teaching, I told her, "Anytime you want to." No one teaches for the money, that's for sure.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:04 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,015,939 times
sounds good.

What will happen to CA when everyone else decides to move to the south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or