U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2016, 03:15 PM
 
29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Reputation: 11705

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Providing an example with actual numbers showing that leasing can be a better deal that buying still won't make a damn bit of difference to the anti-lease zealots. They're sure of their position and no amount of evidence to the contrary will ever get them to change their minds.

Leasing = bad
Buying = good

That's all that their minds will process regardless of the situation or circumstance.
My BIL bought a Cadillac a few years ago and after a couple of years wanted to trade it in and took a beating. The owner of the dealership was a friend of his and showed him the numbers for leasing v own on his next vehicle and he took the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Durham NC
1,189 posts, read 1,296,908 times
Reputation: 921
I bought a 2014 Camry 2 years ago nothing down financed 60 months 0% interest. Recently retired I plan to drive the car 15-20 years. Makes no sense under those circumstances to lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 10:18 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,914 posts, read 8,748,070 times
Reputation: 14182
Leasing only makes sense if you don't intend to keep it after a certain period. The longer you drive the more expensive leasing becomes.

There's nothing wrong with buying used cars that are in good shape and well maintained. My Toyota bought at 120k has zero problem and only standard maintenance work done. Well worth the money compare to lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,696 posts, read 2,546,087 times
Reputation: 9137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Driving only 5,000 miles/year makes it nuts to lease a car. As you said a Camry is so reliable they should be worry free up to 80,000 miles easlily, I drive them way longer but I'm not an older woman.
Hey, hey now. No dissing older women.

My grandmother drove 80mph when she was 79; steered straight as an arrow, even reaching into the back seat for something with her eyes still straight ahead. Granted she lived out in the boonies and this was a straight road she knew well and there was no traffic. But no question, she was a great driver. I'll never forget that...or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Reputation: 16156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Providing an example with actual numbers showing that leasing can be a better deal that buying still won't make a damn bit of difference to the anti-lease zealots. They're sure of their position and no amount of evidence to the contrary will ever get them to change their minds.

Leasing = bad
Buying = good

That's all that their minds will process regardless of the situation or circumstance.

Again trotting out examples of high end cars such as a Lexus in the post you were quoting here or your $85,000 example does nothing to disprove the contention that as a general rule leasing does not make financial sense. As a general rule people buy $25,000- $30,000 cars, not $85,000 cars. I honestly have no idea why this is so hard for you to understand. And yes as a general rule someone buying a $25,000 Camry and selling it after the average ownership length of 4-5 years is better off buying then leasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
Reputation: 17303
The answer depends on your needs and relative affluence:

If you need lowest Cost: Buy a super reliable car and drive it for many years. This is my choice. I keep cars for 18 years.

If you value mostly reliability, security, having the newest safety features and prefer driving a new car every 2-3 years, Lease. It is more expensive but some things are more important than lowest cost for people of means.

You choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 AM
 
8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Reputation: 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Again trotting out examples of high end cars such as a Lexus in the post you were quoting here or your $85,000 example does nothing to disprove the contention that as a general rule leasing does not make financial sense. As a general rule people buy $25,000- $30,000 cars, not $85,000 cars. I honestly have no idea why this is so hard for you to understand. And yes as a general rule someone buying a $25,000 Camry and selling it after the average ownership length of 4-5 years is better off buying then leasing.
And I have no idea why it's so hard for you to understand that there is no definitive right-or-wrong answer when it comes to the buy vs. lease question. But then again, it is always the anti-lease types that insist that leasing is always a worse choice than buying, regardless of individual circumstance.

You keep focusing on my three-year-old post where I used my own experience in leasing an $85k car. Just forget about that and try to stay in the present. You have been given three other examples in this thread where people have stated that leasing was better, but then again, I'm sure you'll dismiss them all because they are so-called high-end cars. Yet the Lexus lease vs. buy example you so derisively dismiss, had an MSRP of $51,650. I'm not sure when the last time you went car shopping was, but $50k is not outrageously expensive for a new car anymore. Even your prized Camry can cost $35-$40k these days. In fact, here's one that's more than $40k:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3662/overview/

Is there really so much difference between a $40k Camry and a $50k Lexus for you to dismiss the notion that leasing may actually make financial sense for someone, depending upon their circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 AM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Reputation: 6291
I am not anti-lease; I have leased a couple of vehicles in the past and neither was a bad experience. One was fairly recent. I kinda get what Dave is saying though. I think if you took 100 cases of people acquiring vehicles, you would probably find more cases where buying clearly made more sense than leasing but you would find some of each. But I think most of them would be somewhere in the middle where it will likely be a wash or where the factors that might make you realize in retrospect that one would have been better than the other were not known at the time of purchase.

The dealer structures both deals to make money but if it is a desirable car with good resale, knowing there is demand for CPO cars helps them justify leases that are better short-term deals than buying in some circumstances (that was the case with our last lease).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM
 
10,215 posts, read 12,253,961 times
Reputation: 14108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Again trotting out examples of high end cars such as a Lexus in the post you were quoting here or your $85,000 example does nothing to disprove the contention that as a general rule leasing does not make financial sense. As a general rule people buy $25,000- $30,000 cars, not $85,000 cars. I honestly have no idea why this is so hard for you to understand. And yes as a general rule someone buying a $25,000 Camry and selling it after the average ownership length of 4-5 years is better off buying then leasing.
Dave,

A car depreciates whether you buy new or lease it. Leasing just guarantees the depreciation "UP FRONT" and only bases your payments on the depreciation and interest. When you buy you pay more and are essentially gambling on how much the car will cost you.

There are certainly oddball cars that lose less than leasing usually reflects, the Camry could be one of them but I honestly have no idea what they lease for but honestly the buyer who plans on dumping the car at the 4 yr mark is someone who should consider leasing. The buyer that keeps a car 5-10-15 years is not a leasing candidate (even though the link I posted showed in the case of the Lexus RX showed it is a close race up to the 9 yr comparison).

I have done both buying/leasing. Had winners in most of the leases, though I ended up over miles in a couple but the damage wasn't terrible. On my "buy" cars, I usually intend to keep them a long time/100K+ miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Reputation: 16156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And I have no idea why it's so hard for you to understand that there is no definitive right-or-wrong answer when it comes to the buy vs. lease question. But then again, it is always the anti-lease types that insist that leasing is always a worse choice than buying, regardless of individual circumstance.

You keep focusing on my three-year-old post where I used my own experience in leasing an $85k car. Just forget about that and try to stay in the present. You have been given three other examples in this thread where people have stated that leasing was better, but then again, I'm sure you'll dismiss them all because they are so-called high-end cars. Yet the Lexus lease vs. buy example you so derisively dismiss, had an MSRP of $51,650. I'm not sure when the last time you went car shopping was, but $50k is not outrageously expensive for a new car anymore. Even your prized Camry can cost $35-$40k these days. In fact, here's one that's more than $40k:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3662/overview/

Is there really so much difference between a $40k Camry and a $50k Lexus for you to dismiss the notion that leasing may actually make financial sense for someone, depending upon their circumstances?
Yes but you appear to be cherry picking the most expensive Camry you could find and comparing that to the low end Lexus used in the article.

I did a search of the top end Camry, the XSE, and Kelly Blue Book says the MSRP is $27,145 Not sure where that seller was trying to get $40,000 for his, maybe it had crushed diamond door locks? Here is the link, I'm not sure if the search results will show: http://www.kbb.com/toyota/camry/2016...y-new&options=

Next I checked into that Lexus RS, which is their lowest end model, and found the MSRP to be $42,850 on the same site. The top end RX 450h F had a MSRP of $57,995 or twice as much as the top end Camry.

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/rx/2016/rx-...y-new&options=


Can we stop now with this thought that there is not much difference in price between a Camry and a Lexus or a Cadillac when comparable models are used? It's simply not true.

Again if you are going to buy a Cadillac or a Lexus every few years I totally agree with you. But the opening poster clearly said he/she would purchase a $25,000 car, which the majority of car buyers spend, and again the majority of car owners keep their car for close to 60 months or 5 years.

So again in general it makes more sense to purchase. There are exceptions, the examples you are using are the exceptions, but this is not the general rule as I have said over and over.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 04-14-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top