U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:49 AM

5,441 posts, read 2,013,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There is a false assumption in this thread. Time doesn't cause a car to break down. The average car is built to last about 200k miles with regular maintenance.
Not exactly true, time does take its toll. Even if a car is garaged and very lightly driven, after a number of years rubber and plastic parts get brittle, dried out, and cracked. Tires should never be used beyond age 6 to 10 years regardless of remaining tread thickness. Gaskets and seals are prone to leaking due to brittleness and cracking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:38 AM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Not exactly true, time does take its toll. Even if a car is garaged and very lightly driven, after a number of years rubber and plastic parts get brittle, dried out, and cracked. Tires should never be used beyond age 6 to 10 years regardless of remaining tread thickness. Gaskets and seals are prone to leaking due to brittleness and cracking.
The people in this thread are too afraid to even keep a car for 10 years to do a MINOR repair like having the tires changed. Gaskets would take even longer to break down. Even then, regular maintenance would alleviate most of this. Like I said, it's their money to waste.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:08 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Great point Elliott. Not a lot of folks think about tire age. My cars never wear their shoes longer than 2 years but that is because I drive 25k per year.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM

6,995 posts, read 6,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh we totally get this and even those of us critical of the lease idea agree that for you this is the right move. Hell if I could afford it I'd do the same thing. Good luck. What kind of car are you considering?
We are just starting to consider car selection. We will look at Subaru Impreza 2.0i, Toyota Avalon, Honda Accord LXS, Hyundai Sonata and Hyundai Elantra, in no particular order.

Do you have opinions on any of these?

Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Great point Elliott. Not a lot of folks think about tire age. My cars never wear their shoes longer than 2 years but that is because I drive 25k per year.
I learned my lesson on that with my utility trailer. The tires rotted and one blew out and I doubt they had 5,000 miles on them. But they were over 10 years old and had been outside (under a deck in the shade when parked, but outside just the same) the whole time. They kept pressure amazingly well, which is one factor that fooled me into thinking they were still in good shape.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We are just starting to consider car selection. We will look at Subaru Impreza 2.0i, Toyota Avalon, Honda Accord LXS, Hyundai Sonata and Hyundai Elantra, in no particular order.

Do you have opinions on any of these?
My dad and his wife have 2 Avalons. I thought they were more expensive than the other cars on your list. I am surprised to see the Avalon on this list; it is a ringer among cars of this class IMO but I think you may find it is the highest priced car on your list.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 PM

6,995 posts, read 6,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
My dad and his wife have 2 Avalons. I thought they were more expensive than the other cars on your list. I am surprised to see the Avalon on this list; it is a ringer among cars of this class IMO but I think you may find it is the highest priced car on your list.
Didn't know that. 2 friends have them and both very happy, so I planned to look at it. My price is flexible to some extent.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:55 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There is a false assumption in this thread. Time doesn't cause a car to break down. The average car is built to last about 200k miles with regular maintenance.

That is not true. When my grandfather died, he left us an eight year old car with 10k miles on it. It is what my brother and I always refer to as a "garage queen." Before he could use it as his daily drive, he had to replace:

1) All four dry-rotted tires.
2) All rubber hoses and belts as all were showing signs of cracking.
3) Replace and flush all fluids including the transmission.
4) replace several other gaskets.

As he managed a auto repair shop, he could do much of the work himself. However, if not, it would have been a lot of money.

Age and mileage can both take its toll on vehicles, especially if the vehicle is not garages.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:10 PM

890 posts, read 677,224 times
I have a history of keeping cars for a long time. Had a "plain Jane" 1988 Volvo 240DL and kept it for over 300,000 miles and gave it to a charity thinking they would sell it for cash but actually they kept if for a while and used if for an operating vehicle. Darn I wish I still had that car.

Spent money for sure for maintenance all done at a dealer which is more expensive. Every time I did the math about whether to keep or dispose, I always went with keep. Even though maintenance costs are always there, it always seemed less to me than buying a new car, even paying cash.

I think the trick to keeping an old car is to invest in maintenance as opposed to a repair. In my mind, a repair is what you incur when you don't do the maintenance.

Had a Honda Accord (I've owned several) that got to almost 260,000 miles before son totaled it. Now driving a Honda Accord that I bought from the estate of a deceased client. Got it at 83,000 miles and now have about 135,000 miles with, hopefully, another 115,000 miles minimum to go.

Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or