U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:39 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,932,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
A relative worked for 35 years at same company
worked last 10 "working from home", within a team of people working from home around the country.
Off-site Boss called one day and gave the "You have done a fantastic job but we want you to go" speech, and they retired him.

Had to ship his laptop and company docs back ASAP.
No warning, just "see ya"

then 2 weeks later corporate called him and said, being he was there 35 years, he was eligible for a 35 year anniversary party.
He could invite whoever he wanted, budget was $2000

He invited all his non-company friends, relatives and family and had a huge party on them. spent every bit of the $2000

Sounds like he made the best out of an otherwise rather sad ending to a 35 year career!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 AM

10,487 posts, read 9,453,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm kind of surprised nobody ran out the door on the last day, threw off their tie or uniform or bra and yelled, I'm free, I'm free, Thank God almighty I'm free at last". Boy, old people sure are dull. lol Nobody even gave a little jab or pushed back a little against a boss or coworker that was PIA. I would have thought someone would have walked past a former coworkers desk and said, "bye A**hole" .
That would have been fun but I'm a believer of 'never burning one's bridges'. I certainly never want to go back to work but if my financial situation required it, I would do it. Leaving dirty tracks may come back to haunt you.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 PM

1,197 posts, read 951,158 times
I agree. No need to leave an impression you were a jerk. If they want to they want to throw a little celebration on company time, attend the party. When it's time to go, thank them and walk away with a smile.

Be the bigger person.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,643,653 times
These stories are great! I, too, did not want a retirement party and was assured it would be low key. Ha! It was a huge bash but I have to say I was flattered that they went to so much trouble. I'd been there 25 years.

The following Monday, when I would have normally gotten ready to go to work, I set the alarm so I could cheerfully ignore it. I called my teen granddaughter and we walked around and poked into small shops in our historic downtown and ate lunch on a rooftop patio. It was a good day! And every day since then has been full of possibilities. So I'd say do something that appeals to you!

Old 04-15-2016, 03:27 PM

34,027 posts, read 42,403,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
...............Heck, most of us stopped even wearing watches once we retired. I can't even imagine someone wanting a wildly expensive, gold watch when they were 65 years old.

I couldn't survive without a watch. The only reasons I agreed to start school was so I could learn how to read a watch and read.

As far as a "gold watch" goes, my oldest son would scarf that up from me so fast it would make your head spin. I bought a few new watches a couple years ago and he was somewhat miffed that I didn't consult him first because, "After all Dad, I'll likely get them in a few years anyway".

He and his older sister buy me stuff for Christmas and birthdays that they like then ask to borrow it. His younger sister and brother don't do that. Yet. Although the younger son has begun to give me "suggestions" in case, "You know, you're due to buy a new shotgun".

Oh, for my retirement, there was no party even though I was senior teacher in the building. I did get some sort of acrylic paperweight thing with my named misspelled and a pre-printed certificate. I didn't bother picking them up since I was on sick leave. I was called about a month later to be told I needed to come get them since they were taking up space in the office.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 PM

14,308 posts, read 24,104,446 times
I had a great party with 60 people at one of the local restaurants after work.

And my parting gift was a Microsoft Surface which has come in really handy.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:49 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,341,433 times
I put in 40 years and 40 days in uniform. After my last shift was over, I changed into civvies, cleared out my locker, and drove the HQ. Went to HR, turned in my badge, cap piece, and ID. Then I went home.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:17 AM

56,634 posts, read 55,009,752 times
I didn't want the usual party with the speeches and the big dinner. I worked in the public sector, so the parties have to be paid for by the attendees, and they can run around $75 a head in the NYC area. That would be a hardship for most of the people I liked where I worked.

A long-time coworker who was in a different department was retiring a couple of weeks before me, and he didn't want the big shindig either. We knew a lot of the same people, so we joined forces and held a joint party at a pub with two hours open bar and appetizers. It was great. We had about 30 people.

The day I left my department had a cake for me and a gift.

Then several weeks later, a close friend who I'd met at work 30+ years earlier but who had left long ago asked me to come over and hang out. When I got there, it turned out to be a surprise retirement party, but the 8 attendees were all people I worked with at the original WTC and who had left or retired. That was a great time, catching up with everyone and remembering some of the fun we had long ago.

The next Monday, I let my alarm go off at the usual 5:15 for the last time, then shut it off and rolled over and went back to sleep.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I put in 40 years and 40 days in uniform. After my last shift was over, I changed into civvies, cleared out my locker, and drove the HQ. Went to HR, turned in my badge, cap piece, and ID. Then I went home.
What did you do for a living, Patrolman?

Just kidding.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You can decline the retirement get-together at work. There is nothing wrong with saying you do not want a get-together at work pertaining to your retirement.
Especially if, as you state, you can take it or leave it.

If one is never going to see in retirement the people one has worked with, a get-together makes even less sense.
People did that where I worked. One guy was adamant about not having a party. He slipped out the door on his last day without saying anything to anyone.

A guy in another department hated his manager so much he didn't even notify him that he was retiring. You technically only have to file with the retirement system and then let HR know/fill out your health benefit papers.

His wife called his manager and said, "Bob retired effective today. His ID card and Blackberry are in his desk drawer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement