U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:27 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,219,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisbest View Post
You were right, lenora and Reed303!!! But you knew that!!! Had my appointment at SS this afternoon, and, although the final official benefit letter may take 30 days (or more), the guy told me I'm probably due to receive over $1100 starting in May (June). This is very welcome news since I had prepared myself for no benefit for now. (Although I knew I would keep the scheduled appt today.)
Appreciation for websites like this and the various people who reply and contribute!
Congratulations! I'm sure you walked out the door with a smile on your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:34 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,409,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisbest View Post
You were right, lenora and Reed303!!! But you knew that!!! Had my appointment at SS this afternoon, and, although the final official benefit letter may take 30 days (or more), the guy told me I'm probably due to receive over $1100 starting in May (June). This is very welcome news since I had prepared myself for no benefit for now. (Although I knew I would keep the scheduled appt today.)
Appreciation for websites like this and the various people who reply and contribute!
Great news.
Thanks for the followup. That's 1 down and a jillion to go.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
thank you, reed303 and organic_donna!! pertaining to restricted application.

I did call SS help line today, and did not get very far. And it's interesting how I've received 3 different answers on the phone.

It appears the only way to reconcile the accuracy and inaccuracies is to go into the local Social Security office.

Since I'm full retirement age (2 years past FRA), have been receiving SS on my own benefits for 6 years, but now reading at your links provided above that I can perhaps suspend now and receive half of my ex-spouse's benefit amount for the next 2 years, and then go back to my own benefits at age 70 after my amount has increased 8 percent each year.....

before I thought I had to accept my own benefit amount because it was more than what half of what my ex-spouse's amount was....

but that was before I reached FRA 6 years ago....

but in reading the two links you provided above in this thread, in the two special NOTES you directed me to, it now appears that I could get half of ex-spouse's amount for next 2 years no matter what my own benefit amount is.....

quite confusing. we don't need to dwell on this strange example of mine.....too complicated, I think.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-15-2016 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 05:16 AM

71,643 posts, read 71,777,271 times
If you were born on or before January 1, 1954 and you wait until full retirement age to file, you have the option to file a restricted application so that you only receive the ex-spousal benefit while letting your own benefit amount continue to accumulate delayed retirement credits from your full retirement age to your age 70. Then when you reach 70 you can switch over to your own benefit amount. This restricted application option is not available if you file before your full retirement age and, due to new Social Security laws, it is not available if you were born on or after January 2, 1954.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:10 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It appears the only way to reconcile the accuracy and inaccuracies is to go into the local Social Security office.
Since I'm full retirement age (2 years past FRA), have been receiving SS on my own benefits for 6 years, but now reading at your links provided above that I can perhaps suspend now and receive half of my ex-spouse's benefit amount for the next 2 years, and then go back to my own benefits at age 70 after my amount has increased 8 percent each year.....

before I thought I had to accept my own benefit amount because it was more than what half of what my ex-spouse's amount was....

but that was before I reached FRA 6 years ago..
matisse12,

I went to SS office with a friend of mine who was trying to do exactly what you are thinking of doing.

She collected SS early at 62 and accepted her own benefit amount because it was more than half of her husband.

When she learned that I planned to collect spousal benefit at 66 and let my own grows until I am 70, she thought that she could do the same.

We went to the SS office and was told that she could suspend at 68 to let the benefit grows and resume at 70. HOWEVER, she could not collect spousal benefit.

So the bottom line is that if one collects SS before FRA, one has to accept the higher benefit amount be it spousal SS or one own and this is not changeable. You can suspend your own benefit and let it grows but can not collect spousal benefit in the meantime.

This is called "The DeemingTrap When Claiming Early Social Security Benefits"

http://www.aegisadvisory.com/2015/06...fit-at-66.html

Old 05-09-2016, 12:55 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Thank you BellaDL. I somehow did not see your 4-16-2016 post to me until right now on 5-9-2016. Thank you for the information!

Last edited by matisse12; 05-09-2016 at 01:54 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 AM

10,300 posts, read 4,875,305 times
I have a question for those of you who seem to know these things. I have been receiving Social Security Disability for fibromyalgia and a few other things for the last 10 years. When my husband died in 2010 I was only given $95 a month from his SS despite the fact that I worked 30 years and he also worked including 20 years in the Air Force. When I asked how come I was only getting $95 I was told it was because I was receiving disability.

Could it be because I get his military pension? But what does his military pension (which he paid into) have to do with his Social Security? What does one have to do with the other? Isn't disability something we pay into if we work? Why does me being on disability mean I only get $95 of his SS? This makes no sense to me.

Does anybody here know? Should I make an appointment with SS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or