Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,994 times

Advertisements

Eligibility requirements for Divorced Spouses to receive "Spousal" benefits (from SS website):
1. your ex must be eligible for SS retirement benefits (she is- age 65 April this yr)
2. your marriage lasted 10 yrs. (it did)
3. you are unmarried (I am unmarried)
4. you're at least 62 yrs young (I am, 66 May this yr)
and
{this is the kicker}
5. the benefit you're entitled to on your own record is less than the benefit you'd receive on your ex's record

I supposedly do not qualify on this, #5,

as my current benefit, were I to be taking it, of about $1400/mo, is not less than the benefit I'd receive on my ex's record. Her current benefit, were she taking it, would be over $2000/mo but not $2800/mo -- 50% of $2000 is $1000. Even though it might be higher than that, I know it isn't higher than $1400 ish

I am not planning to take my benefit until age 70, but such isn't immediately relevant to this question as I understand it. My ex, also, is not planning to take hers until then, I believe. She is remarried, but again, this is not relevant to my question.

Last edited by nowisbest; 04-14-2016 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: to attempt to get the title into bold letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
What's your question?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
If born in 1950, did you miss this Note at https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

"Note: If you were born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the divorced spouse’s benefit and delay receiving your retirement benefit until a later date. If your birthday is January 2, 1954 or later, the option to take only one benefit at full retirement age no longer exists. If you file for one benefit, you will be effectively filing for all retirement or spousal benefits."

You didn't say how long you've been divorced:
"If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years."

Old 04-14-2016, 03:54 PM

My question is:
Does anyone have experience/knowledge that is counter to this?
I think I'm right in thinking I am not eligible for ex-spousal benefits,
but, just in case I'm not right, I ask this question.
In other words, everyone talks about the other requirements, but I had not heard of this one (*5) until
I spoke to SS a week ago, and was quite surprised!!!
To reiterate, I qualify on the first 4 requirements, but not on the 5th.

And, btw, we've been divorced for more than 2 yrs.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:13 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisbest View Post
My question is:
In other words, everyone talks about the other requirements, but I had not heard of this one (*5) until

Reed303 answered your question. You are eligible to claim your ex-spouse's benefit (the 5th requirement does not apply to you) because 1) you were born before Jan 2 1954 and 2) you have reached full retirement age.

The SSA rep was wrong.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisbest View Post
My question is:

Unfortunately, if we all had a dollar each time the good folks at the SSA 800# were wrong , we could all retire in fine style.

You may want to go to an SSA office, and take a copy of that Note, and have it explained in person.

Good Luck..........

Old 04-14-2016, 06:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
reed303, I went to the link you provided. Thanks for that. Now I'm confused.

What if I've been receiving Social Security on my own record for 6 years....can I still switch to the benefits of my ex-spouse?

I was born before 1954. And I reached my full retirement age 2 years ago. In reading the page you provided at the link, I cannot quite figure this out.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
reed303, I went to the link you provided. Thanks for that. Now I'm confused.

What if I've been receiving Social Security on my own record for 6 years....can I still switch to the benefits of my ex-spouse?

I was born before 1954. And I reached my full retirement age 2 years ago. In reading the page you provided at the link, I cannot quite figure this out.
If you hurry, you might be able to do this. The rules are changing at the end of this month (April 30)
Read all of (especially the Note near the end) of this SSA webpage.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html

Old 04-15-2016, 04:29 PM

Default Yes !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Reed303 answered your question. You are eligible to claim your ex-spouse's benefit (the 5th requirement does not apply to you) because 1) you were born before Jan 2 1954 and 2) you have reached full retirement age.

The SSA rep was wrong.
You were right, lenora and Reed303!!! But you knew that!!! Had my appointment at SS this afternoon, and, although the final official benefit letter may take 30 days (or more), the guy told me I'm probably due to receive over $1100 starting in May (June). This is very welcome news since I had prepared myself for no benefit for now. (Although I knew I would keep the scheduled appt today.)
Appreciation for websites like this and the various people who reply and contribute!

Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
You should file a "Restricted Application" on your ex spouse. You will get 1/2 of his and can defer your until 70. This was recently eliminated, but you are grandfathered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement