U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 03:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
The best place to hermit/dropout is a large city. There is much more anonymity in a city than anywhere.
I spent the entire day today in downtown St Petersburg FL and I think I talked to two people in 8 hrs. One was the Walmart cashier (on the way home) and the other an artist at the local outdoor annual art show on the STP waterfront. I see so many single people who just keep to themselves. I'm not sure if they want to or that's just how things go - many have a dog to walk to keep them company. I really think there are more keep-to-themselves people than we really know. And often in the bigger city it is easy to blend in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 03:18 PM

747 posts, read 484,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
At the time, we were working, so the last thing I wanted after required human interactions for five days was to put in more of same during our free time.
Exactly! Unfortunately, many people don't understand this and get offended if you don't come to their parties.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM

7,118 posts, read 8,163,742 times
My wife is a social butterfly. She wasn't always like this; when younger she was actually a little shy. Did not hang out with other moms when our kids were small. But since about middle age, she has become more and more involved with other people, and likes a lot of activity.

I have become the reverse. I love animals, and feel most comfortable with our dogs and the poultry we raise. I spend most of the summer out on the lake, fishing. Very peaceful out there, and I love the sights and sounds of nature. It's been a great change in my life, since I was running a business 3 years ago. I didn't mind it then, but would not want to go back to that.

I love spending time with my grandkids. I don't consider children to be exactly like "people"!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't use self service checkout as a protest. They take jobs.

Can you please explain how self checkout takes jobs? People keep saying this but I don't see how.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:20 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,608,648 times
I'm not exactly a loner but was never a "joiner" either. Never married and am content with my 3 dogs in a quiet neighborhood. I do enjoy chatting with strangers (can't help it; get that from my late Mom), and I do attend church, enjoy a rich, expository bible study, but again...don't take part in any of the groups.

This house is getting to be too much for me, yet I cringe at the thought of a 55+ community Don't know what the future holds - it is a bit frightening at times.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,175,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I have an older brother who happily lives on the side of a mountain above a tiny town.
Speaking of a side of a mountain, you don't have to be old to be a natural-born hermit. Does anyone remember this song or the movie it's from? The actor who sang it in the movie died last summer at age 91. The character he played in the movie was named Bando. But the hermit, who was the main character of the movie, was much younger than him.

Begone begone to warm and distant shores
Who knows if we shall meet under the sun?
Will I escape the wrath of men
And you the hunter's gun?
Fly away little blackbird fly away
Spread your wings and fly away
If I should live to see another spring
Then we shall meet another day
And when you are safe from winter's chilly air
Where rivers flow in gentler pace
Think of my side of the mountain turning bare
And of dead leaves giving chase

Old 04-16-2016, 08:28 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Can you please explain how self checkout takes jobs? People keep saying this but I don't see how.
At my local 24 hour grocery store, they eliminated one employee for every shift except graveyard when they never had a dedicated cashier to begin with (the person stocking end caps and checkout lanes ran a register). One of the managers told me this when I was there very early one morning. He came over because an item wasn't scanning. Before 7 AM, there is no regular register anymore. They just help people who can't check themselves out.

EDIT TO ADD - Not sure if you saw my earlier comments, but I am for automation. I think we just need to deal with the reality that if we take full advantage of it then there will not be enough jobs to go around.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:15 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,858,594 times
No life as a hermit is my goal! lol and i'm only 38. I am looking for land in the country to build a small house on. Ive been a renter all my life and sick of having to walk past my neighbors to take out the trash or going to my car. I just want to do my thing without feeling forced to say hi because if i dont they will think "whats wrong with himmm?" I for once like to go out in the yard and tinker around on my truck or other hobbies without a neighbor watching me. I also have to always keep my head up walking out my door because you have to walk around bushes out to the driveway and someone ALWAYS happens to be coming out the same exact time.

CAn't wait for my piece of peace out in the country where only the birds are watching me when i'm outside

Old 04-16-2016, 09:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 2,548,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
With California's new $15 minimum wage it's going to be all self checkout here.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:50 PM

5,458 posts, read 2,843,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Speaking of a side of a mountain, you don't have to be old to be a natural-born hermit. Does anyone remember this song or the movie it's from? The actor who sang it in the movie died last summer at age 91. The character he played in the movie was named Bando. But the hermit, who was the main character of the movie, was much younger than him.

Begone begone to warm and distant shores
Who knows if we shall meet under the sun?
Will I escape the wrath of men
And you the hunter's gun?
Fly away little blackbird fly away
Spread your wings and fly away
If I should live to see another spring
Then we shall meet another day
And when you are safe from winter's chilly air
Where rivers flow in gentler pace
Think of my side of the mountain turning bare
And of dead leaves giving chase

I never saw the movie, but the book it was based on is My Side of the Mountain by Jean George. It is a children's book. I read it when in 5th grade, I think. Bando was sort of a mentor, IIRC. I can't remember the boy's name, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement