U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
With California's new $15 minimum wage it's going to be all self checkout here.
The data pretty clearly shows that has little or nothing to do with it and in an odd way may even push back a little. The economy improves when the wage increases. Even if they eliminate one job out of ten because of the wage increase, the other 9 all have some discretionary money to spend. Don't let the fear tactics the corporate mouthpieces use sway you; look at real data and you can see wage increases make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 01:10 AM

589 posts, read 537,369 times
Yes, the hermit life is underrated. It's because in a America, any lifestyle that isn't sociable is viewed as inferior.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:17 AM

1,722 posts, read 613,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
The best place to hermit/dropout is a large city. There is much more anonymity in a city than anywhere.
Yes. Specifically, the best of the best for this purpose: New York City.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 AM

746 posts, read 483,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I never saw the movie, but the book it was based on is My Side of the Mountain by Jean George. It is a children's book. I read it when in 5th grade, I think. Bando was sort of a mentor, IIRC. I can't remember the boy's name, though.
One of my absolutely favorite books as a kid...and still. The boys name: Sam Gribley
My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) by Jean Craighead George

Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,171,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
One of my absolutely favorite books as a kid...and still. The boys name: Sam Gribley
My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) by Jean Craighead George
In any case, nobody should be thinking being old makes people more inclined to be hermits. More likely it's a characteristic you're born with. And the older you get, the more opportunities you have to be a hermit, if being a hermit is something you've always wanted to try.

Offhand, I can think of two other movies about young hermits: "Alabama Moon" and "The Cold Lands". And Thoreau was a hermit at age 30. I think the stereotype of old hermits mostly applies to people who always wanted to be a hermit and became one when old because that was a convenient time to try that lifestyle. Such as if you get laid off and divorced and are too old to find a new job, but you have enough money saved up to be able to survive a long time in a cheap place.

By the way, the movie "My Side of the Mountain" doesn't follow the book very closely. It takes place in the Laurentian Mountains in Quebec, while the book took place in upstate New York if I recall correctly. And in the book Sam had permission from his parents, whose NYC apartment was too crowded, but the Sam in the movie had run away from home (in Toronto) and was hiding from his parents. But not following the book very closely is what happens to a lot of movies made from books. Nevertheless it's a great movie.

Last edited by eok; 04-17-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 AM

746 posts, read 483,005 times
Just came across this and thought some might find it interesting: Artist Louise Bourgeois on How Solitude Enriches Creative Work

Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
I think people need to be very careful with their words here.

What most people are describing is someone who is not very sociable and introverted, but IMO, that's significantly different from a "hermit." A hermit is going to be someone who goes to often abnormal lengths to avoid social contact, and someone who has dropped out of society, or only minimally involved.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:15 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times
Half the posts in many of the threads are about terminology. Common usage versus dictionary definition 1 versus 2 versus ...

Language is an inaccurate tool to describe our thoughts. Some people will not understand what I mean by that...

Old 04-17-2016, 06:06 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,171,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think people need to be very careful with their words here.

What most people are describing is someone who is not very sociable and introverted, but IMO, that's significantly different from a "hermit." A hermit is going to be someone who goes to often abnormal lengths to avoid social contact, and someone who has dropped out of society, or only minimally involved.
Actually I think the standard definition of a hermit includes various motivations. Some are motivated by a desire not to talk to people. Some are motivated by a desire to be closer to nature. Some are motivated by phobias, making them not want to be in crowds or not want to be seen. Some are motivated by a desire to live cheap off the land so they don't need a job or a boss. Some hermits welcome visitors, and others shun them. Some may want to work on their art or project without being interrupted. Some may have overly sensitive ears, that feel pain when they hear children playing and using their outdoor voices. Some may be paranoid schizophrenics, and always feel threatened by the presence of neighbors, who might be spies or aliens. Some might love animals so much that they want to always have them around and make friends with them, and can't do that when there are too many people around, because the people scare the animals away. And some might just like to let their yards grow wild and not mow them, because they like the wild look better, but the city was imposing fines for failure to maintain their lawns, so they moved away from the city. But I think the one thing common to all hermits, which is a key part of the definition, is that they live alone, either single or divorced, and don't consider other people to be a significant aspect of their lives.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:38 AM

21,474 posts, read 14,382,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
The best place to hermit/dropout is a large city. There is much more anonymity in a city than anywhere.
Yup.
Every city has lots of hermits. Some are OK and are nothing more than solitaries who have always lived by themselves and never socialized. Others become shut-ins to various degrees.

There are always people who are single all their lives and only socialized with their family. If the family breaks up for any number of reasons, they have no other friends and end up being hermits.

Lots of them are alcoholics. My first serious girlfriend, from 50 years in my past, became one a few years after we broke up. She was married for a while, but spent the next 40 years drinking more than anything else, and by the end, was a complete solitary. Her older sister was her only real contact with other people, and her sis found her dead in 2007, in a small apartment that she left only when she ran out of booze.

By then, no one she once knew hadn't seen her in many years. I tired for a long time to track her down, and had no luck until her sis came back to town for a 50 year class reunion. I only found her through sheer accident on the internet shortly before the reunion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement