U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:23 PM

5,942 posts, read 5,300,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have been seeing a change in myself. As I get older, I seem to actually become more social. I have been joining more groups and doing activities with others. That still has not changed my aversion to crowds. Nor do I like waiting in lines.

I think partly I just have more opportunities than when I worked. I could not socialize in the workplace and had little time left over after working and commuting long hours.
Same with me. Moving to a 55+ was a big part of it. Always something to do. Meet new people all the time with people moving in. Very sociable neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Same with me. Moving to a 55+ was a big part of it. Always something to do. Meet new people all the time with people moving in. Very sociable neighbors.
That's encouraging. I am in the process of doing that now. It looks like a great place. The problem is it's partially government funded and just to get on the waiting list takes mounds of paperwork. So I sit and wait.

I love the idea of being able to pick and choose a few activities and friends close by because I can't get around too well any longer.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:47 PM

116 posts, read 79,210 times
Default I've lived not totally removed, but quite remote

Not having any fixed plan in life, I followed the path that opened and just seemed right. Having lived quite far out of town (about 50 miles), it has its rewards like: starry nights, not city lights, four-legged neighbors, hunting/fishing nearby... It's a lifestyle few will ever know, as more and more folks are living in urban areas. It does on the other hand, become quite inconvenient when I need goods or services. I do like keeping my distance from that flow of mainstream living I became discouraged with earlier in life. If you need a change, follow your own inclinations and listen to that inner voice. Best to not totally isolate oneself, in my opinion. Simply find a balance in between.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:59 PM

21,457 posts, read 14,373,173 times
I've met a couple of genuine dropout hermits over the years here in Idaho. This is a state that makes it easy for them to completely leave society to live off the grid in wilderness.

Both of them were crazier than peach orchard boars. But both actually loved seeing another human after months (or years) of living completely alone. One desperately wanted tobacco, and the other wanted whiskey. Both times, I was with a group of wilderness trail horse riders, and I was real glad I never met either alone.

They both lived in junk piles; one took to digging into a cliff side, and was more troglodyte than human, and the other one had lived in his spot forever- I could see that earlier on, he had built a pretty good little shack, a garden, etc., but he was old and it was all a completely run-down mess. His shack was literally falling apart and offered very little shelter any more.

So ya got hermits, and ya got hermits. I've always had solitary pursuits, so nowadays, I often don't get out of the house very much for a few days at a time, but when I do, I make it a point to socialize. And while I'm working at home, I get a lot of phone calls from friends and relatives that keeps me in contact with others. They all think I'm a hermit.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:05 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've all read stories or known people that turned into hermits later in life. I have an uncle who was an electrical engineer for GM for years. He worked on the Apollo program and helped develop the onboard computers for that, or at least that's what I was told. A lot of his work was military as he could never talk about it. He'd had it kind of rough. Had a wife and three kids when he was young, but she was a classic gold digger and dumped him for another guy after she had the kids. So he got stuck with the check.

He was the classic quiet egg head nurd type guy. Never remarried. Then when he retired, he moved to the north woods of Wis. We didn't hear too much from him after that. Getting close to that retirement age myself now, I'm getting less tolerant of people, our materialistic society and its screwed up lifestyles. Withdrawing from society has a lot more appeal than it used to. Becoming a hermit is more understandable. Anyone else considered this or done it?
You don't have to move into the woods, really, to do be less social.

A lot of people get an RV and boondock and get away from people this way. I spend a lot of time in my small RV when I want to get away.

I believe these people (like myself) were introvert all the time and this isn't something that just happens with age.

Here's an example.
rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more

Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,170,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"We should start a forum for would-be hermits."

I tried that; titled it "The Hermitage." No one came!
Maybe they thought they would have to pay $20 cash.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:36 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
There are a lot of people who mostly just keep to themselves, without living any type of extreme lifestyle. Just ordinary people who do not socialize much or mostly stay at home or rarely go out or have solitary pursuits.

It can easily happen to older people whose options become less.

Prompted by this thread I was reading online about all ages of people who live somewhat solitary lives.

Also not everyone drives or has money for an RV or could even handle an RV on roads.

Hermit is probably not the best term because it conjures up more extreme lifestyle choices, when actually being somewhat solitary as an older person is not that out of the ordinary.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:39 PM

3,982 posts, read 2,540,487 times
PBS TV had a program a few years ago about a guy who built a log cabin in remote Alaska. A plane flew in supplies from time to time. He was a nature guy and excellent photographer. He photographed him building his cabin, lots of wildlife, how he lived, what he did, he knew how to live like this. 40 degrees was warm to him. He went years without seeing people.
But he wasn't a nut, he liked what he did, and he was a naturalist.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM

12,571 posts, read 16,662,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've all read stories or known people that turned into hermits later in life. I have an uncle who was an electrical engineer for GM for years. He worked on the Apollo program and helped develop the onboard computers for that, or at least that's what I was told.

...Snip ...
My family has a few hermits that I have known personally in Texas. One was an great uncle who spent his life going from one family to another where he would stay a few days and spend his time fishing at the nearest fishing hole. He never married. Another was a 1st cousin, an extremely intelligent ex-marine, who once built a remote-controlled lawnmower as well as an exotic racing car that made the local news but lived his later years sort of hermit-style. Sometimes I wonder if I am headed in that direction since I admired both of these men and since I plan now to never again have a neighbor close by.

Recently I lost an elderly friend who lived in a small town northwest of Lubbock. Although he lived in town, he sort of lived as a hermit in a tiny disheveled house with a badly leaking roof. I was never sure what it was that caused me to like this fellow as he seemed to have very few friends, if any, in that small town. Age had slurred his speech and his walking gate was slowed and painful to watch. However, he could play guitar and he and I enjoyed many music jam sessions. I also thoroughly enjoyed his stories of the 1950 music days in the Lubbock area. Whether or not he actually played rhythm guitar for Billy Walker at Ralls or played studio sessions with some other names, I will never know.

I believe that many times it is society that isolates an older person to live as a hermit but maybe that's a problem that will force me further in that direction.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:47 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
V8 Vega, while an example, it's still an example of an extreme lifestyle choice, living very remotely and not seeing people for years, whereas ordinary people would be of interest in this thread to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement