U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM

30,108 posts, read 47,344,680 times

Advertisements

I mentioned that each new year's premium notice with the boilerplate info that you have 60 days to appeal the amount SS/Medicare has set as your premium...
IF you have one of the qualifying events at any time during the year, THAT is the date for the qualifying event appeal...

So if you are 65+ and still working but have started your Medicare coverage (like our initial situation) and you retire or have another event after coverage/premiums have started which will make a difference in your income such as to lower your tax bracket, you can file appeal within 60 days of the qualifying event...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 AM

13,915 posts, read 7,411,228 times
I went to the Social Security office yesterday with the 2014 tax return I just filed for my mother to appeal her Social Security premium. Turns out she didn't file for Medicare until age 76 and she has a 100% penalty. I had no way of knowing that and my mother has dementia so I have no clue WTF happened that something so basic in life wasn't done. Sigh. $1,300 per year in extra premiums.

Note to self: Don't screw up registering for Medicare when I'm approaching 65.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:35 AM

13,232 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I went to the Social Security office yesterday with the 2014 tax return I just filed for my mother to appeal her Social Security premium. Turns out she didn't file for Medicare until age 76 and she has a 100% penalty. I had no way of knowing that and my mother has dementia so I have no clue WTF happened that something so basic in life wasn't done. Sigh. $1,300 per year in extra premiums.

Note to self: Don't screw up registering for Medicare when I'm approaching 65.
Is this for part B? I thought part A is free.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:20 PM

71,595 posts, read 71,751,865 times
PART A is typically free but if you do not have enough work credits you have to buy it or you get charged if you do not file for it when you are supposed to . there is a penalty per year you should have and didn't .. wow 1300 penalty on top of the regular premium

Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 PM

Was your mother on any other private insurance like husband's pension/company benefits?

My sister has female friend who has no work history...she was entitled to Medicare through her divorced husband (married 10 yrs+) who died several months b4 she turned 65... So while I don't know about her spousal SS, I know she gets her Medicare eligibility via divorced spouse.....
I didn't even know that was option...

How did your mother have ins coverage prior to 76?

I remember my mother would not let my father have Medicare premiums taken out of his checks decades ago when program started because he made little money but was entitled to full VA medical benefits as WWII vet...although he had to drive about an hour to hospital in San Antonio TX from where we lived...

Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Was your mother on any other private insurance like husband's pension/company benefits?

My sister has female friend who has no work history...she was entitled to Medicare through her divorced husband (married 10 yrs+) who died several months b4 she turned 65... So while I don't know about her spousal SS, I know she gets her Medicare eligibility via divorced spouse.....
I didn't even know that was option...

How did your mother have ins coverage prior to 76?

I remember my mother would not let my father have Medicare premiums taken out of his checks decades ago when program started because he made little money but was entitled to full VA medical benefits as WWII vet...although he had to drive about an hour to hospital in San Antonio TX from where we lived...
My mom is a retired state college prof in a Social Security opt-out state. Today, she has Medicare and the state retiree group plan provides supplemental with the supplemental premiums deducted from her state pension. I know her husband was on her state supplemental Medicare policy since I was the one who sent them the death notice to take him off. I have no clue where their health insurance was coming from between ages 65 and 76. They certainly had it. That information is lost forever.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM

I am retired high school teacher and we had health ins through my state's retired teachers' plan from time I retired at 55 until started Medicare...and use that ins as our secondary policies...so I have first hand experience with what you refer too...
Don't you think she was using the state's plan for all insurance prior to 76 and maybe the state's policy changed...
We are concerned that my state --TX--has been so delinquent in funding its share of the TRS insurance program that we will be forced out of using it by higher premium costs or changes in drug program that we will be better off with 3rd party plans...but it will take some really higher premiums for that to be a cost-effective option...

If you have power of attorney for your mom I Would think her doctors' billing offices could give you history on any insurance was filed...if it matters...
I was just concerned that with her condition she might have just forgotten premium payments and you have have some options...but guess not by this time...

Old 04-22-2016, 07:38 AM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
PART A is typically free but if you do not have enough work credits you have to buy it or you get charged if you do not file for it when you are supposed to . there is a penalty per year you should have and didn't .. wow 1300 penalty on top of the regular premium

How would you know if you don't have enough work credits for free Part A? My wife's SS statement said something like "you have earned enough credits to be eligible for Medicare".

Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 AM

71,595 posts, read 71,751,865 times
run through the questions here

https://www.medicare.gov/eligibility...ookieSupport=1

Old 04-22-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Don't you think she was using the state's plan for all insurance prior to 76 and maybe the state's policy changed...

If you have power of attorney for your mom I Would think her doctors' billing offices could give you history on any insurance was filed...if it matters...
I was just concerned that with her condition she might have just forgotten premium payments and you have have some options...but guess not by this time...
That's certainly a possibility. The state could have killed off a retiree health benefit program and pushed everyone to Medicare. The state of things when I engaged was that they were both on Medicare and the supplemental came through a state sponsored retiree group plan. They were using something other than Medicare until 8 years ago. It might have been her retiree coverage from the state. It might have been some corporate exec coverage he had that vaporized. The state retiree coverage is certainly the most likely thing.

I kind of doubt her physician has records of how they billed 8 years ago. At this point, it kind of doesn't matter. She's paying a 100% penalty on her Medicare premium. It's being paid by a Social Security survivor benefit I didn't think she qualified for under the double-dip law so it's free money as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or