U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:36 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times

Advertisements

We talk often about retirement planning and everyone has a favorite tool or calculator that has for the most part given them what they think is their best plan or plan outcome. Some come from the internet as free and unbound. While others are ones their investment companies provide. They all are used to help determine if you are on the right path and if you need to make adjustments.

I found this article that asks the question are these tools doing more harm than good? It has a few interesting points and the piece is relatively short. You all can read it for yourselves but I wonder how people would react if there were no planning tools free or otherwise. Would we just use our financial calculators that we bought our kids for school? You know the ones. The ones that have amortizations and interest calculations.

Anyway for those that are wondering here is a small quote from the article.

Quote:

Is bad retirement advice better than none?

There is no question that all of the variables listed above can have an important impact on retirement planning. However, the sheer number of variables raises the question of whether it is possible to make an accurate projection of retirement needs and funding adequacy.

After all, doing so would require not just a retirement planning tool detailed enough to comprise all those variables, but it would also require remarkable insight in order to get the inputs for those variables right.

That complexity supports the paper's position that relying on a single answer from any financial planning tool is dangerous - usually, when you expect a simple answer to a complex problem, you will be disappointed.

Do retirement planning tools do more harm than good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 07:37 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
depends which ones . some are nothing more then reverse amortization calculators and can be way off base .

the better ones are based on the most horrible outcomes which have so bad they happened once in 146 years .

once those numbers are quantified you have a benchmark where mathematically you know what you need to survive .

so using the calculators like firecalc or fidelity's planner are like building a house to with stand the strongest storms ever , for us it would be sandy . it does not mean we can't ever get blown away but at least you know to date we have never seen anything stronger then sandy so odds are as good as they get facing the unknown

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-16-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 08:26 AM

3,714 posts, read 3,120,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
We talk often about retirement planning and everyone has a favorite tool or calculator that has for the most part given them what they think is their best plan or plan outcome. Some come from the internet as free and unbound. While others are ones their investment companies provide. They all are used to help determine if you are on the right path and if you need to make adjustments.

I found this article that asks the question are these tools doing more harm than good? It has a few interesting points and the piece is relatively short. You all can read it for yourselves but I wonder how people would react if there were no planning tools free or otherwise. Would we just use our financial calculators that we bought our kids for school? You know the ones. The ones that have amortizations and interest calculations.

Anyway for those that are wondering here is a small quote from the article.

Do retirement planning tools do more harm than good?
Excellent subject. I think it's safe to say, for most, regardless the tool/intuition or whatever one uses to project retirement scenarios, the future will be more expensive than planned.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:29 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
The author had a nice catchy title to the article but otherwise had nothing of value to say.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:38 AM

4,834 posts, read 4,949,965 times
A common theme to all those tools: You should have saved more.

Therefore, continue working, adding to your savings and leave the balance with our firm so we can benefit from the fees.

Work until the day you drop.

Then have your estate pay more fees to a law firm to distribute the remains of your estate to your heirs.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:45 AM

the problem is not the information the calculators give you but the fact that folks have no clue what that data represents or how to use it . the data has zero to do with keeping the money with our firm as you stated .

it is strictly based on math and odds . what you do with it and how you interpret it is up to you ..

the numbers do not include any human spending patterns and for good reason , we are all different so it is just simple match based on either actual historical data or monte carlo data based on the same time frames , only they try to improve the odds by finding even greater poor scenario's and protect against the math that caused them .

Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM

14,023 posts, read 20,336,588 times
The very shallow article referenced:
The Efficacy of Publicly-Available Retirement Planning Tools
The Efficacy of Publicly-Available Retirement Planning Tools
33 pages of reading fun.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 AM

13,218 posts, read 6,320,879 times
I never trust these tools. But I run to have an idea. I know my brother ran one of these tools, but he forgot to tell me he put in 6-7% investment return. I never do, I put in 2%. I rather be conservative.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:59 AM

if you are entering a predicted return , run from that calculator , the information and protection will be wrong or non existant .

good calculators do not use a fixed return . nor do they assume any particular return . that makes no sense when spending down as sequence risk is the dominating factor .

the same return but different sequences's of gains and losses vary's by 15 years of money.

if you were building a house it would be like you building to construction standards based on average wind speed over decades .

that has no bearing on how you have to build to sustain the highest wind speeds your area already sustained .every hurricane already may be above that average .
it would be very risky building for average wind speeds .

see the difference ?

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-16-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 09:00 AM

5,394 posts, read 21,390,738 times
Regardless of the quality of planning tools the fact remains that the majority of Americans need to recognize:

- There is a need for a plan long before retirement age.
- Basic math will point out the scale of resources required to live 15+ years.

I find just getting people to recognize the need to budget for the future is the biggest issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or