U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 PM

6,309 posts, read 4,757,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seriously, the odds of finding a job in your sixties that pays more than minimum wage? .....

There are endless opportunities. First employers are not supposed to discriminate based on age. We might guess that is not always the case but it turns out that many employers would gladly hire an older worker. Jobs that do not require college or a lot of experience would include receptionists. Many of not well paid but are paid well above the current minimum wage. State and local governments are also a good choice. They typically hire by the numbers and an older worker might indeed have an advantage based on previous experience. I have a friend over 60 who just got a job in admissions at the local community college. She is somewhere between a receptionist and a counselor. Her work experience was pretty minimal but she still got a job paying about $20-25/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 01:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 3,687,027 times
Living alone is a little healthier as no one will hit me with a rolling pin or put something in my coffee but I might fall in the goldfish pond, trip over the cat or have an accident when by myself -- or die from curiosity. I recently had a young grocery clerk tell me how to take a frozen pizza, add more toppings, bake it enough to melt the cheese and make it hot, then roll it into a big burrito and eat it that way. I'm curious but haven't tried that yet. It might be my last meal.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:29 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
Long-term smoking often comes back to strike you even after you quit 20 or 25 or 30 years earlier.

Think ABC journalist Peter Jennings who had quit smoking 15 yrs earlier, contracted lung cancer, died at 67 within 3 months. (he had picked it up again after 9/11)

Happened to my Mom who had smoked for 40 years, quit for the last 20 years of her life, but then lung cancer claimed her at the end.

Smoking also causes rampant heart disease, pulmonary disease, and circulatory disease.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:34 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am always amazed at the number of people who had decades of unhealthy living and then try to reverse everything in their old age. I wonder how much difference any of that can make.
Even if I don't live longer, I can feel the difference with even moderate amounts of exercise.
jrkliny,

You provided the answer to your own question.

It is never too late to try living healthier.

1. Quit smoking

Why Quit Tobacco - Reasons to Stop Smoking - Partnership For A Tobacco-Free Maine

Quote:
It’s not too late to reverse the effects of smoking...If you quit at around age 50, you reduce the risk of dying prematurely by 50% compared with those who continue to smoke. Even those who quit at around age 60 or older live longer than those who continue to smoke.
2. Losing weight

Older Adults and Obesity ? Is Dieting the Answer?

Quote:
Older adults who are obese or overweight have many (if not more) of the same health risks as the rest of the population. In fact, obese elders have an increased risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease.
It’s definitely a quality-of-life issue,” says Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD, LDN, a nutrition educator, clinical associate professor at Boston University, and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the Academy). “Those who are obese may have problems with their hips, or that extra weight can become a burden on the knees. Walking for an extended period of time becomes problematic, and that begins to impact daily living. Becoming less physically active also is problematic in managing blood glucose. So weight can really become a burden.”
That’s why losing weight has significant benefits. “With weight loss, they might be able to reduce medications, such as hypertension medication, and they may become more mobile,
Quitting smoking or losing weight at later ages may not raise your longevity significantly but will certainly raise life quality.

If I slack off from exercising or not paying attention to my diet even for a few days, my blood sugar goes up and I feel much less energetic. The same goes with weight lifting, in order to maintain my strength, I have to lift at least twice a week. If I stop weight lifting for 2-3 weeks, I have to reduce the amount of weights for every single routine!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,303,645 times
Any one that wants some reality, just read the obits and take notice of their age at death. I'm 62 and on any give day anywhere from 35% to 50% of the people that just died are my age or younger. Very few are in the 80's or older. Yes there is a demographic twist to this but the pherchentage changes should be enough to through the numbers too much.

If you ever smoked
If you have diabetes
If you have any chronic diseases
If you don't get vaccinated
If you don't have a family history of early or death in the 60's or 70's
If you handle your food correctly
If you don't live mental problems
If you don't fall or have an accident that causes broken bones after age 60
And if you don't have 50 other problems that can contribute to early death then maybe you can live to 100.

Note; Death is never caused by just one thing but multiple issues that compound in an elderly person to finally give that person more then they can handle.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Garthur, statistics for your particular geographic area in Nebraska might be skewed and not representative of other geographic areas. (are you in a small town?)

When I read obituaries there are many many people who die in their 80's.....which is opposite from what you said.

Also when I read obituaries, there are many people who die in their mid-70's which always surprises me since so many people live to 85 these days. (some early 70's)

Old 04-16-2016, 02:02 PM

4,686 posts, read 3,256,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This reminds me of an old George Burns joke:

To George, who at that time was 96:

"George, you chase women, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars. What does your doctor say about that?"

George: "My doctor is dead."

Thank you for posting this. I've heard it before and always thought it was funny.

My attitude toward life is to try to enjoy most of it as much as I can. I don't have lots of money, I don't always eat right, I like desserts, etc. Never a smoker tho tried it when younger to see what it was like (awful); not a big drinker (saw that and the destruction it can cause for many years); etc.

Had a tax man tell me a long time ago not to worry so much..... that none of us were going to get out alive.

So why are we reading articles about living longer or dying sooner? What is that going to do for us?

I say forget about it. Any day could be our last day alive; learn to enjoy today!

Old 04-16-2016, 02:57 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,351,824 times
This is an exercise akin to predicting the weather for April, 16, 2017. You will never get it all right no matter how much you study up on your predictions.

I say do what you really want to do and LIVE until you die. Retire when you want to. If you run out of money before you die, that just means you have to relocate to low income senior housing. And by that time you will probably be too old and infirm to be missing out on much. The early 'good' years of retirement are the expensive ones. As you age you will do less.

I would urge you not to think about quitting and picking up another job. You can do it easily and another job is easy to get but it won't pay enough to make it worth showing up for. Probably part time and no bennies either. No one wants to hire and pay us when there are so many younger folks without decent jobs.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:59 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,883,191 times
I know thing the single most important thing you have to in order to to live to 90.
Spoiler
Live to 89.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:41 PM

Some people like to ponder the larger questions and happenings of life & death. It does not mean they are not enjoying life and enjoying each day.

And reading articles about how to achieve longevity & health are very interesting, helpful, and can be crucial.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-16-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or