U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:03 PM

13,884 posts, read 25,306,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There are endless opportunities. First employers are not supposed to discriminate based on age. We might guess that is not always the case but it turns out that many employers would gladly hire an older worker. Jobs that do not require college or a lot of experience would include receptionists. Many of not well paid but are paid well above the current minimum wage. State and local governments are also a good choice. They typically hire by the numbers and an older worker might indeed have an advantage based on previous experience. I have a friend over 60 who just got a job in admissions at the local community college. She is somewhere between a receptionist and a counselor. Her work experience was pretty minimal but she still got a job paying about $20-25/hr.

Age discrimination is rampant. I have 3 degrees and 30+ years of experience. Best I have done since retirement is about $13 per hour. Part time, no benefits. I also write articles for literally pennies. I am pleased for your friend but I believe more people have had my experience than hers.

There are tons of jobs out there but the vast majority of them pay nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:13 PM

536 posts, read 631,272 times
I live in SE Florida and many retirees work here. They may well be cut off from full benefits by working just under full time, but they have medicare. At Publix (a grocery story in the SE) employees are paid well, treated well, and have access I think (I could be wrong) to profit sharing. True story: I work at a university and a former Dean was a bagger for a while at Publix. He wanted the stock and found he hated retirement. (I always liked that guy!)

Working brings in grocery money. I don't think anyone is thinking about a second career as top gun with a salary that is a wealth builder.

The service sector pays for the groceries, and those kinds of jobs are plentiful where I live. When I suggested retraining I was thinking of medical transcriptionist, or classroom aide, things like that that are helping jobs but would still add a little to the income. ETA: To me, $13 per hour would come in handy if I needed to pay a bill or two.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:18 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Long-term smoking often comes back to strike you even after you quit 20 or 25 or 30 years earlier.

Think ABC journalist Peter Jennings who had quit smoking 15 yrs earlier, contracted lung cancer, died at 67 within 3 months. (he had picked it up again after 9/11)

Happened to my Mom who had smoked for 40 years, quit for the last 20 years of her life, but then lung cancer claimed her at the end.

Smoking also causes rampant heart disease, pulmonary disease, and circulatory disease.
Yes, smoking doesn't have to cause you lung cancer to hurt your quality of life. A lot of smokers have COPD which can really limit their physical activity and make things like pneumonia more common and deadly.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
A lot of smokers (and non-smokers) do not realize that smoking often causes heart disease. (in addition to COPD, & pulmonary/respiratory diseases including emphysema)

Old 04-16-2016, 06:09 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There are endless opportunities. First employers are not supposed to discriminate based on age. We might guess that is not always the case but it turns out that many employers would gladly hire an older worker. Jobs that do not require college or a lot of experience would include receptionists. Many of not well paid but are paid well above the current minimum wage. State and local governments are also a good choice. They typically hire by the numbers and an older worker might indeed have an advantage based on previous experience. I have a friend over 60 who just got a job in admissions at the local community college. She is somewhere between a receptionist and a counselor. Her work experience was pretty minimal but she still got a job paying about $20-25/hr.
Do tell? Employers aren't supposed to? Well by golly, somebody just needs to let them know! I'll get right on that.

The fact that they don't ALWAYS discriminate does not mean that they don't.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM

8,389 posts, read 9,134,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do tell? Employers aren't supposed to? Well by golly, somebody just needs to let them know! I'll get right on that.

The fact that they don't ALWAYS discriminate does not mean that they don't.
Laws don't prevent discrimination. Laws only provide recourse. Would you want to work for someone who didn't want to hire you in the first place?

So boss is forced to hire you. Enjoy your new work environment!

Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 AM

1,202 posts, read 705,254 times
There are so many way it's good for you to stop smoking it makes me wonder if I should have started so I could quit.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:02 AM

210 posts, read 150,564 times
I don't understand the obsession on longevity past the financial stuff. I figure that, with a family history of one in ten living to see 70, I am doing pretty good to see 67. I MAY not have many years left but I intend to see that I enjoy those years as much as possible even if I give up 5 miserable years for 3 marvelous years. At my age, I guess my choice is to eat the food and commit the sins against fads and science de jour that I want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I just can't obsess on denial just to forestall the inevitable. It's a bit late for me to go on a regiment of healthy, safe living. Bacon and ice cream before the orgy anyone?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:17 AM

7,110 posts, read 8,147,355 times
COMPRESSION OF MORBIDITY

I think we would all agree that quality of life (health) is more important than quantity (years) of life.

Although this is not a new concept, I have just become familiar with it: "Compression of morbidity" means, in essence, a healthy life with a relatively rapid terminal decline. Or, to put it another way, take 2 relatively active, healthy 70-y-o's, both of whom will live to be 80. In one case, the subject becomes ill or disabled ("morbidity") at age 73, and spends 7 long years in this condition, unable to enjoy life, with each day just a struggle to get through. Not appealing!

In the case of the other subject, health is maintained until a few months before the 80th birthday, after which he dies following a brief illness. This person had 10 good years to enjoy life.

Compression of Morbidity

Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Finally, your concern about inflation should be lessoned because your FERS pension (as well as your SS benefit) is indexed to the CPI, so your income won't be ravaged should inflation skyrocket as you fear.

The bottom line is that although for many people, taking retirement at 60 is thought of as "early" and could be considered risky, as a federal retiree, you've actually worked 4 years past the minimum retirement age and would seem to be in fine financial shape (especially if you have a healthy TSP balance).
Thank you for chiming in MMoB, I did not realize this. Maybe I heard it at a retirement brief but it didn't stick. Not sure what a healthy TSP balance is but I feel better.

Compression of Morbidity - wow, new term, love it. Yes most people, regardless of when they die, prefer to be more or less healthy or at least independent till it happens, quickly.

Smoking, yes I quit 15 years ago. Yes I'm still at a higher risk of smoking related diseases. Yes I'm trying not to worry too much about waiting till August and my next CT scan. And subsequent ones after that I suppose. Yes I still miss smoking almost every day. I loved it.

The articles are interesting. I would love it if someone got down to the benefits of what's in tobacco without the addiction and put it in a patch or some other delivery mechanism. My brain and I felt so much better on ciggies.
ALL drugs have side effects many of them quite serious, I guess nicotine has some even if delivered via patch, vaso constriction?. My Dr. is constantly trying to put me on anti anxiety or anti depressants mainly because I can't sleep. I do think I have shortfalls in the dopamine/serotonin depts. but I have side effects with really minimal improvement that make it just not worth it. Sometimes I weigh the benefits of a nicotine patch and wonder.

Healthy 4 Life: Can nicotine help chemobrain? - WSMV Channel 4

Apparently one of the initial things they do with lung cancer along with chemo is prescribe an anti depressant. That wouldn't work for me.

Is nicotine getting a bad rap? - New Zealand Listener

Anyway, statistics and actuarial tables and family history are complicated and there is no calculation that ends with a 100% answer of mortality. But I think its worth considering. I mean its all a wild ass guess, everything we do is trying to make a smarter WAG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or