Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:58 AM

613 posts, read 943,770 times

Advertisements

I know there have been a lot of these kinds of threads here, inc. a recent one, but I have a specific question or 2:

I thought that one had to wait until FRA to take (ex)-spousal benefits, but after a couple of conversations with my local SS office, apparently not. The last guy told me that if I started taking S.S. this June (applying in May), I'd get $787 a month for spousal benefits. If I wait until age 66 (in Dec.), I'd get $827 a month. I was surprised he told me that over the phone, but I had my ex's S.S. #, etc.

Both amounts would be more than I'd get under my own earnings record, even if I wait until age 70.

If my math is correct, giving up 6 months of getting $787 a month=$4722. And it would take 9.8 years of getting the extra $40 a month if I wait until age 66 to make that up. I'm thinking it's not worth it to delay & give up the $4722? Can anyone see a clear reason for me to delay until FRA? (unless I live past age 76).

BTW, I was married for just over 10 years, now divorced for over 20. I have certified copies of both the marriage cert., & divorce decree.

Anyone see any flaws in this plan? TIA for any advice......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:03 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I know there have been a lot of these kinds of threads here, inc. a recent one, but I have a specific question or 2:

I thought that one had to wait until FRA to take (ex)-spousal benefits, but after a couple of conversations with my local SS office, apparently not. The last guy told me that if I started taking S.S. this June (applying in May), I'd get $787 a month for spousal benefits. If I wait until age 66 (in Dec.), I'd get $827 a month. I was surprised he told me that over the phone, but I had my ex's S.S. #, etc.

Both amounts would be more than I'd get under my own earnings record, even if I wait until age 70.

If my math is correct, giving up 6 months of getting $787 a month=$4722. And it would take 9.8 years of getting the extra $40 a month if I wait until age 66 to make that up. I'm thinking it's not worth it to delay & give up the $4722? Can anyone see a clear reason for me to delay until FRA? (unless I live past age 76).

BTW, I was married for just over 10 years, now divorced for over 20. I have certified copies of both the marriage cert., & divorce decree.

Anyone see any flaws in this plan? TIA for any advice......
I don't see any flaws. I like you was thinking the same but if the SS office confirms than you should just go ahead. It isn't much of a difference per month and as you said it would take almost 10 years to make up the difference and the other go ahead. I especially agree if the income is needed now.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
I'd take it so that you get paid in January for the whole tax year.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:01 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i confirmed when i went to ss that between fra and 69 if you don't file in january you never recover the delayed credits not included in the years checks . you get adjusted going forward in january at the delayed credit rate but you never get back what was not included over the year in your check

Old 04-16-2016, 03:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post

If my math is correct, giving up 6 months of getting $787 a month=$4722. And it would take 9.8 years of getting the extra $40 a month if I wait until age 66 to make that up. I'm thinking it's not worth it to delay & give up the $4722?
I think the key thing is that your SS benefit is higher than your own earnings record. If it is otherwise (like for me), one should delay collecting SS benefit until FRA then collect own SS with delayed retirement credits at 70. If I collect SS benefit before my full FRA, I can only get my own reduced SS benefit.

If you need the money, you should take it now.

If you don't need the money now, with the 'break even' age at ~76, you will get more if you think your life expectancy will be at the average or longer: $40/month or $480/year or ~ $4800 at 86.6.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

Quote:
A woman turning age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 86.6.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:27 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i confirmed when i went to ss that between fra and 69 if you don't file in january you never recover the delayed credits not included in the years checks . you get adjusted going forward in january at the delayed credit rate but you never get back what was not included over the year in your check
Spousal benefit does not include delayed retirement credits of the spouse.

The OP is planning to receive spousal benefit so it does not matter what month that she collects the benefit.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:31 PM

correct , i agree with the spousal side , i was just mentioning this fact since were discussing it in another thread and i said i would confirm what i believed to be the fact and it was .

Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM

613 posts, read 943,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I think the key thing is that your SS benefit is higher than your own earnings record. If it is otherwise (like for me), one should delay collecting SS benefit until FRA then collect own SS with delayed retirement credits at 70. If I collect SS benefit before my full FRA, I can only get my own reduced SS benefit.

If you need the money, you should take it now.

If you don't need the money now, with the 'break even' age at ~76, you will get more if you think your life expectancy will be at the average or longer: $40/month or $480/year or ~ $4800 at 86.6.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html
My being male, the life expectancy calculator shows a life expectancy, at age 65 and 4 months, of 84.5 years.

So potentially--I could get approx. another $3840--in the future-- by waiting until age 66 to file. It doesn't seem worth it to give up the "extra" $4722 "up front". At best it seems like a "cr*ap shoot"--not clear cut one way or another.

I actually don't "need" the money right now, but getting an extra $4722 this year would be very nice. For instance, I bought a very nice house last year, after living in a "dump" for 30 years. But the backyard here needs backyard landscaping & a new patio, etc. Bulkhead door replacement for the basement. And so on.

I could "blow" the $4700 towards those projects, & enjoy it now, while "I'm still young enough". I'm relentlessly frugal, so maybe I could "loosen up a bit". There's also the psychic benefit of actually benefiting for once from that "marriage".....after the ex got so much......If I keep my appt. at SS on 5/10, & start getting $787/month; I'll be happy. I'm always the kind of person tho who's like, "I'll believe it when I see it".

And thanks for all the feedback.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:03 AM

if a couple there is a 47% chance one of you will be alive at 90. that is almost a coin toss which is very high odds

Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
If you are planning on dyeing before the 9.8 years go for it.
If you can get along with out the SS for 6 months delay and plan on living until 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement