U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:43 PM

7,116 posts, read 8,158,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
... I own enough land to create my own neighborhood.... My immediate neighbors are coyotes, bear,antelope, mule deer, elk, rabbits, muntain lion, and probably wolves. I've seen all but the last two on my place. The song of the coyotes beats that of any human
I agree! Out my way, I see deer and moose tracks in the yard frequently. When out fishing on the lake, I am serenaded by loons. A bobcat recently tried to raid my chicken pens. My other neighbors are the wind whistling through the pine forest, and the black bear hiding out from hunters.

You either like and feel comfortable with Nature, or you don't. The city slickers here who live near a hospital won't see things the way we do. They need protection from 'wild animals'. You and I define 'wild animals' differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I would much rather live near children than near coyotes, bear, mountain lions, and wolves....What's so good about the song of coyotes?
It's sublime, that's what's so good about it. You ought to have a listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 01:47 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
I can only speak from my experience having lived in this neighborhood for 22 years. I have seen a huge turn over in the ages of people and with it - a huge change in "personalities".

The older neighbors (my age and older) stay in their houses or back yards and speak to no one - they've done this for a long time.

The newer - younger people walk by the house and stop and chat - about their kids, gardens, neighborhood "Nextdoor.com" issues etc... Very friendly and I love having them here. They also usually ask "What's wrong with these people?" - pointing to the houses on each side of me. I smile and leave it alone.

The old ones can go and the younger ones can stay. Now, what do you think my feelings about a 55+ neighborhood are? My opinion is based on life experience.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:47 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,147,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When I retired three years ago, I really thought that I was going to be really bored to death. For years, i had worked 50-60 hours a week plus six hours of commuting each week.

NOTHING could be further from the truth.

While most of my neighbors are older (some much older), there is always something going on. Yesterday, there was a UA string quartet concert. Tomorrow is a movie. Thursday and Friday are bocce. Then of course, there is a lecture on Wednesday on the "Unsolved Mysteries of Arizona." And the local governing council on Thursday.

While I am doing that, my wife is swimming or doing water aerobics 5-7 days a week, tai chi three times a week and taking all kinds of photography classes.

And that does not include all of the stuff that is going on in Tucson this week like the start of the Tucson International Film Festival and the International Mariachi Festival.

I must also say that many of my 80+ year old neighbors have blown away my stereotype that people over 80 are just waiting to die. My 85 year old walking partner occasionally has to slow down to let me catch up. No kidding.
My winter home is a couple of miles from your home and that has also been my experience. Way more to do than you can ever imagine. If you're bored, the problem is you.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:50 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I don't quite get the point of this thread. Why should anyone care if someone else wants to live with others of the same age? It personally is not for me, but I don't have a problem with the idea.

Our decision to live in our own house has nothing to do with being surrounded with death or lack of kids in the community, but the fact that we really really enjoy working on our own place. We have 2 acres and love gardening and tending to our small orchard. We do all the work around here ourselves. It keeps us young. We are 65 and 70.
I really don't get it either but it's brought up time and time again. Often someone will innocently post a question asking for advice on where to find these places or asking those who live there to share their experiences and they will get responses from the gloom and doomers or the snooty-patooties who declare they would never live in one of those places.

It kind of reminds me of the kind of people who will post on the TV forum that they would never have a TV in their house in response to those who begin discussions that were specifically aimed only toward those who watch TV.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:12 PM

9,585 posts, read 10,930,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I really don't get it either but it's brought up time and time again. Often someone will innocently post a question asking for advice on where to find these places or asking those who live there to share their experiences and they will get responses from the gloom and doomers or the snooty-patooties who declare they would never live in one of those places.

It kind of reminds me of the kind of people who will post on the TV forum that they would never have a TV in their house in response to those who begin discussions that were specifically aimed only toward those who watch TV.
I'm a snooty patooty and proud of it. However, if I had to live in close proximity to neighbors, I'd want them to be old. I don't wish to hear the happy voices of children. The fact of the matter is that a snooty patooty very likely shares the same opinions as lesser creatures.

Sorry, Minervah. I know that you're a very nice person, but I just couldn't resist.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:08 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,935,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't hear any ''salsa'' music or any other music where I live. It's not only because of my land but because my neighbors are educated and prosperous. The dregs of society are the noisy...
My father is far from the dregs of society but he is close to deaf without his hearing aids. Which he doesn't wear at home. When I call him on the phone - I can hear his TV on my phone at the other end of my house . I am glad I don't live in the townhouse next to his.

Quote:
...My immediate neighbors are coyotes, bear,antelope, mule deer, elk, rabbits, mountain lion, and probably wolves. I've seen all but the last two on my place. The song of the coyotes beats that of any human...
Like when you're trying to sleep? We have a fair amount of critters on our property. And - this time of year - the birds wake me up shortly before sunrise (about 6 am) with all their chattering. Wish the birds would keep the hours I keep . Robyn

Old 04-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I would much rather live near children than near coyotes, bear, mountain lions, and wolves. And I would much rather hear the sound of children singing Christmas carols than the sound of a very cold blasting wind on Christmas Eve. On the other hand, I like the idea of living in a Wyoming city such as Cheyenne or Casper, because of the relatively low taxes and crime rate, compared to states with big cities. And I could probably get used to the cold wind.

What's so good about the song of coyotes?

Do you have good internet access? Most places as isolated as yours, anywhere in the USA, don't have good internet access.
So where do kids go around singing Christmas carols these days? Not that I would prefer coyotes.

FWIW - we see tons of kids on our block on Halloween. Often 200-300+. Can't say it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Robyn

Old 04-17-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I agree! Out my way, I see deer and moose tracks in the yard frequently. When out fishing on the lake, I am serenaded by loons. A bobcat recently tried to raid my chicken pens. My other neighbors are the wind whistling through the pine forest, and the black bear hiding out from hunters.

You either like and feel comfortable with Nature, or you don't. The city slickers here who live near a hospital won't see things the way we do. They need protection from 'wild animals'. You and I define 'wild animals' differently...
I have it both ways . I am 10-15 minutes away from Mayo JAX and have lots of critters in my yard. Including some big ones - like deer (and - judging from hoof prints - feral pigs). Lots of smaller ones too. Snakes - armadillos - raccoons - field rats - turtles - 25+ species of birds - tidal crabs - whatever. Dislike the deer - because they like to chomp on everything and can be kind of aggressive. But can live with everything else. Sometimes I think I ought to get some kind of environmental tax credit for operating a nature preserve .

FWIW - some of my neighbors here have had Florida black bears and gators in their yards. I have been lucky to have escaped visits by large relatively dangerous animals like that (if I saw one - I would just go inside until the animal decided to go elsewhere). Robyn

Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM

The one thing people here don't know or don't mention (enough) is that 55+ communities vary a lot. We have a new 55+ Del Webb "active community" in my neck of the woods. Where you buy your own house - and - except for landscaping - take care of everything yourself. Where most of the buyers are probably < 65. My father lives in a Brookdale 55+ facility with independent living and assisted living. But even the independent living comes with things like communal dining (so you don't have to cook your own meals) and housecleaning services and similar things. The average age in my father's place now is about 85 (and he is 97). There's a pretty big difference between 60 and 85 (duh). So why talk about places in general - when so many are so different? Robyn

Old 04-17-2016, 05:50 PM

5,034 posts, read 3,218,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Lots of people love the seniors only idea and others don't. I opted out of it just because I didn't like the idea of living in a place where there were only old people. I don't mind hearing the neighbor's salsa music while he works on his car or seeing all the kids ride their bikes and play hopscotch in the street.

Remember my SO's cousin, Dave? He has now been in senior housing for almost a year. He has a beautiful apartment and everything he needs. But one thing I hadn't really considered about his lifestyle is that he is surrounded by death all the time. Almost every week, someone he knows dies. He spends an inordinate amount of time going to funerals and memorials. I find this depressing and I am doubly glad I did not choose to live in an age restricted community. I also think all this death probably has a negative effect on everyone there. Especially their own health and outlook on life.

Seems like every time we talk to him someone has died or had a heart attack or a stroke. Very sad! Just something to consider about developments for seniors only.
I wouldn't like living in an area where kids ride their bikes in the street while I'm driving through as they haven't learned to "Look first" plus they grow up to be mouthy teenagers and then vandalize property....King City (Tigard OR) had a rash of that...Punks...

Oh and hopscotch...Do they do that on the roadway? Kids in the 60's did it on the sidewalk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or