Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:07 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You're confused about the terms. An age restricted community does mean 55+ whether they market it as Active Adult Community or not.

It MUST BE deeded that way because it's a federal and state government term that has laws and regulations to be 55+. "Senior Housing". For example there's an 80/20 rule whereby 20% of the community is "permitted" to be under 55 to give the association some leeway ie if someone under 55 might be an heir.

OTHERWISE it would be called discrimination.

The OP is just making up facts that don't exist. Even in some Assisted Living communities the place is buzzing and busy all the time.
I just saw an ad for a senior living complex the other day and it did say that 20% of the population could be under the age of 55. It also mentioned that a spouse over 55 could live in the complex with a younger-than-55 spouse. I saw another ad for a senior complex stating that caregivers would be allowed to live with the people they were caring for only if they were over 35. I don't know if this is something that is decided at a federal level, a state level, or just something the senior park can decide on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The one thing people here don't know or don't mention (enough) is that 55+ communities vary a lot. We have a new 55+ Del Webb "active community" in my neck of the woods. Where you buy your own house - and - except for landscaping - take care of everything yourself. Where most of the buyers are probably < 65. My father lives in a Brookdale 55+ facility with independent living and assisted living. But even the independent living comes with things like communal dining (so you don't have to cook your own meals) and housecleaning services and similar things. The average age in my father's place now is about 85 (and he is 97). There's a pretty big difference between 60 and 85 (duh). So why talk about places in general - when so many are so different? Robyn

In my 55+ community I have to take care of everything, including the landscaping. Like most others, I hire it out.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I just saw an ad for a senior living complex the other day and it did say that 20% of the population could be under the age of 55. It also mentioned that a spouse over 55 could live in the complex with a younger-than-55 spouse. I saw another ad for a senior complex stating that caregivers would be allowed to live with the people they were caring for only if they were over 35. I don't know if this is something that is decided at a federal level, a state level, or just something the senior park can decide on.

The feds allow it and the states usually make the laws, which I believe is the case in Arizona. My Alaska house is in a subdivision that was originally age restricted, but was opened up to all a few years ago, before we moved in. I'm guessing that was a local or HOA decision as Alaska has minimal laws and very little in the way of 55+ communities.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Sorry, but I think a 55+ type community would be great. I really don't care for kids playing in the area or young kids blasting their music. I'd prefer mostly quiet folk like myself that keep their property up, and maybe have time to visit and have something in common to talk about. Death and dying doesn't get me down. Its a reality we all have to face. I'd rather look at it as helping others who need some friendship and are looking for a little fun in life.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
That's a very nice way to view it, augiedogie.....as helping others who need some friendship!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Fortunately there are as many 55+ housing options as all of us...
From excellent rural / lakes / golf to urban centric, some with continuing care, others kick you out as soon as you need a walker.

We each have our own tastes.

I don't mind the death and dying routines; I enjoy doing hospice care, it is a nice way to close a chapter / book, and help others

Ymmv

Friends in a del webb, always take us out for 'wildlife safari's around and inside their community. Here is a pic for their back porch.... 10' from the breakfast table. http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...bcat-2611.html

Since I study IC's... There have often been issues in the USA 'mixed age' communities. Older folks seem to take offense that younger couples often have their dogs eat at the table, and encourage their screaming kids to eat off the floor.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:00 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Here we go. Go back to law school.

No you weren't "just kidding". You were being snarky. And wrong.

I wasn't writing a legal dissertation since obviously there's not even a fundamental understanding of these communities or ANY senior communities for the most part.

The 20% MINIMUM STANDARD is designed to allow the Association to PERMIT EXCEPTIONS when appropriate. It depends on the community covenants and the exceptions may be narrowly defined perfectly legally. HOPA does not care how the association deals with the 20%.

But thanks for proving the ORIGINAL POSTER wrong. Even if you had to use wrong legal interpretations and reductio ad absurdum math.

HUD HOPA RULE

"There continues to be confusion concerning what is often referred to as the 80/20 split. HOPA states that the minimum standard to obtain housing for persons who are 55 years of age or older status is that “at least 80%” of the occupied units be occupied by persons 55 years or older. There is no requirement that the remaining 20% of the occupied units be occupied by persons under the age of 55, nor is there a requirement that those units be used only for persons where at least one member of the household is 55 years of age or older. Communities may decline to permit any persons under the age of 55, may require that 100% of the units have at least one occupant who is 55 years of age or older, may permit up to 20% of the occupied units to be occupied by persons who are younger than 55 years of age, or set whatever requirements they wish, as long as “at least 80%” of the occupied units are occupied by one person 55 years of age or older, and so long as such requirements are not inconsistent with the overall intent to be housing for older persons".

Wow, who peed in your Cheerios yesterday morning?

I realize that sometimes intent can be a little difficult to discern when reading posts on the web, which is why I not only specifically wrote that I was just kidding, I even used not one, but two, friendly emojis to emphasize the point that I was just being humorous. Oh well.

As for the rest of your frothing-at-the-mouth rant...I have no idea what you're complaining about. With all the steam coming out of your ears, and your eyes red with fury as you pounded away on your keyboard, you somehow missed the fact that my post was supporting your position against the OP. The only thing I did was correct your statement that the federal law permits only 20% of the residents to be under 55. You just made a common mistake of confusing residents with units. Nowhere in my post did I say that communities had to allow anyone to be under 55. The law sets a bar as to how lenient communities can be in allowing under 55 residents and still qualify as a 55+ community. If a community doesn't want to permit anyone to be under 55, that's perfectly fine.

Again, you just made the common mistake of writing that the federal bar was set at 80% of residents, when in point of fact, there is no bar at all for number of residents. It is simply the minimum number of units that must have a person 55 or older in order for the community to qualify as a 55+ community. You'll notice that I not only emphasized the word units for you, I also pointed out that we're discussing the minimum qualification to be covered by the law, not the maximum.

To put it in succinct terms: You misspoke, miswrote, misunderstood, or misapplied the law. (I'm not picky; choose any one or more of the appropriate "mis" words to describe your error.)

I'm sorry that my correction of your misinterpretation (hey, there's another "mis" word for you to choose!) of federal law upset you so. Next time you make a mistake (one more for you), I'll just allow you to continue in your ignorance.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fortunately there are as many 55+ housing options as all of us...
From excellent rural / lakes / golf to urban centric, some with continuing care, others kick you out as soon as you need a walker.

We each have our own tastes.

I don't mind the death and dying routines; I enjoy doing hospice care, it is a nice way to close a chapter / book, and help others

Ymmv

Friends in a del webb, always take us out for 'wildlife safari's around and inside their community. Here is a pic for their back porch.... 10' from the breakfast table. http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...bcat-2611.html

Since I study IC's... There have often been issues in the USA 'mixed age' communities. Older folks seem to take offense that younger couples often have their dogs eat at the table, and encourage their screaming kids to eat off the floor.
You bring up an excellent point. I spent some time in a hospice when my friend was staying there. She had Cancer and had signed up under the Assisted Suicide Act to end her life when she chose. As she lingered, I got to not only stay with her a bit but also meet the wonderful people who took care of her and the other people in the facility.

I certainly don't see it this way but if some people want to look at 55+ communities only as places where people go to wait to die, maybe they should also see them as places to which people go to have a heck of a good time before they go.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm a snooty patooty and proud of it. However, if I had to live in close proximity to neighbors, I'd want them to be old. I don't wish to hear the happy voices of children. The fact of the matter is that a snooty patooty very likely shares the same opinions as lesser creatures.

Sorry, Minervah. I know that you're a very nice person, but I just couldn't resist.
Oh that's okay, by snooty-patooty I was referring to those who bad mouth the decision of others who choose to live in 55+ communities, not those who make that choice for themselves. I was responding to someone who was asking what difference did it make to those who didn't chose to live in 55+ communities if others did. My point was there are some people who are snobbish about them. The ones who look down their noses at these places and the people living in them. I don't believe you would do that.

I don't want to be around the happy voices of children either but since some people do, I felt the need to point out that even in 55+ communities they can sometimes be heard. I do like the idea of my neighbors being around my age but also that I can socialize at my own pace which is pretty slow.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
You're confused about the terms. An age restricted community does mean 55+ whether they market it as Active Adult Community or not.

It MUST BE deeded that way because it's a federal and state government term that has laws and regulations to be 55+. "Senior Housing". For example there's an 80/20 rule whereby 20% of the community is "permitted" to be under 55 to give the association some leeway ie if someone under 55 might be an heir.

OTHERWISE it would be called discrimination.

The OP is just making up facts that don't exist. Even in some Assisted Living communities the place is buzzing and busy all the time.
This is very true and I'm noticing it is abused by community owners. Where I am at the percentage seems to be pushing 50 50. Many residents have given up their homes for various reasons. The park then can't seem to attack enough retired people. They then either sell or give the homes to younger people. This is done to keep homes occupied and lot rent being paid. The park now seems more of a family park. Sadly these younger residents seem to be people with problems. It is obvious that each year the percentage of older retired home owners will decrease. The writing is on the wall. It should not be this way, and is very unfair to the over 55 home owner. Not all retired people can just pack up and move, when something like this scenario occurs. Your kind of stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement