U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,001,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I rarely run balances over $2,000 and they're usually paid off in a few months, maximum. Virtually everything goes on those cards - rent, cell phone bills, etc. That gets me a lot of cash back and at least one card is paid off monthly.
Get to the point where you pay all of them off monthly.

Is that scolding - or shaming - or just plain sound advice . Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 03:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 21,454,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
In "every" case? Cite, please, for the bolded part.

People fail to take care of themselves for many reasons. Many (most?) are beyond the control of those who are 'failing'. The obvious examples are physical and/or mental disability. There's also institutionalized disadvantage resulting in societal disability.

I confess that I don't have cites either, but I read/hear more often than not that government aid to those in need results in savings to society in general rather than costs.
'and in every case it costs the rest of us either in taxes or a reduction in some other area.'

Just simple math... there is a finite amount of resources and to divert some of them to address those individuals in need less is spent elsewhere or more is collected.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:11 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,570,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
'and in every case it costs the rest of us either in taxes or a reduction in some other area.'

Just simple math... there is a finite amount of resources and to divert some of them to address those individuals in need less is spent elsewhere or more is collected.
It's not that simple. Aid offered early often results in less damage to the people receiving the aid, thus lessening future needs and dependence on public aid.

For example, here a grant was used to provide housing and related assistance - no questions asked - to the twenty or thirty people who had cost the most in public assistance. It's early in the experiment, but so far those people are requiring assistance at a much lower rate than before. Net savings of money for the public, and dignity for those helped.

Now the question arises, will the powers-that-be realize this is a good program and continue to fund it, or will they be short-sighted and cut off funding?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:27 PM

9,797 posts, read 7,096,611 times
Quote:
I don't think scolding and shaming anyone is going to do good without actionable advice.
I also think that scolding and trying to shame anyone who's not inclined to save for retirement is going to change their minds about doing so. They can always come up with many reasons/excuses for not saving money, some legitimate, some otherwise, and I think the scolding will just antagonize most folks.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,280,527 times
No One is advocating scolding as the only method. Thats silly. In fact, to answer the original question, I don't even think it's the best method. But if one group ignores it, the public as a whole has lost nothing, as the net result is still the same. But for another group that it IS effective on, and it is for many, the public as a whole HAS gained. Net win everywhere.

Scolding or shame is rarely instantly effective. If one is shamed, fhe first instinct is often antagonizaton and rebellion. Later, after one is calmed down, if the mind realizes the effectiveness and positive aspect of the message, vs the negative response of the message,which is typical, then the effect is net positive. If one is the type to cut off their nose to spite their face,then they are rarely intelligent enough to understand smart for dumb anyway.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 AM

17,478 posts, read 21,350,544 times
Quote:
I think what'll get many people to save for retirement (who otherwise wouldn't) is to make it automatic. If someone wants to 'opt out' they need to make their case.
Perhaps those that are skeptical of the idea of saving for retirement have spent too much time reading Obituary columns?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 AM

23,847 posts, read 17,764,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I also think that scolding and trying to shame anyone who's not inclined to save for retirement is going to change their minds about doing so. They can always come up with many reasons/excuses for not saving money, some legitimate, some otherwise, and I think the scolding will just antagonize most folks.
If anything, the rude attitude is likely to harden their position.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,731,679 times
Quote:
I think what'll get many people to save for retirement (who otherwise wouldn't) is to make it automatic. If someone wants to 'opt out' they need to make their case.

Isn't that what 401k accounts are for? Automatic savings? Unfortunately not all jobs come with a 401k option. In all my years of working the job I have now is the only one that has ever offered a 401k plan.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,731,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People don't need 401k plans to save. They can just put the money aside. Sure, they lose the pre-tax advantage, but at least they have money saved.

But WILL they save it up on their own? People can always find 'other things' to spend that money on and do.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,280,527 times
Quote:
If anything, the rude attitude is likely to harden their position.
As I said, anyone not smart enough not embrace the smarter move, because they didn't like the way the message was delivered, is likely a lost cause anyway. They've made up their mind as to what is "right for them" regardless. No net loss. The world is full of such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or