U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times

Advertisements

During one of the NBA playoff games last night, I saw an ad for OurTime.com - Online Dating Site for Men & Women Over 50. This is a dating site targeting those 55+ or so and really pushed that the people there were not looking for "games" like those in their 20s/30s and how it targeted a more mature and sophisticated dating pool than other websites. I thought the ad was turning its nose up at other sites and other demographics, but it was at least interesting.

As an older person, would you consider online dating if you were to become single? If you are single, do you use it? If you use it/do not, what's your reasoning, and would you consider doing so in the future?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,241,646 times
A lady at work (age 57-58) used the OurTime site. She met a nice man and they went out for close to a year. Then he told her he was not sexually attracted to her at all. So much for "the people there were not looking for "games" like those in their 20s/30s "

Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
See my post in the Men being irrelevant thread.

I was abandoned at age 55 by my ex, met a man online who was a good friend to me during the divorce, but turned out eventually to be a selfish creep, and then I turned my sights to men overseas in the UK. I had some really pleasant online and in person encounters with UK men and eventually married one.

My sister, in her late 50s has finally found he perfect man--online. He's about 63. She had to move to the deep south due to her ex's job and once they divorced she could never find anyone compatible. But this new guy is totally in love with her and their plans are set in stone for at least until October when she will attend his college reunion. Funny thing--he's from the north too--upper NY state. Seems they both needed another northerner.

I don't know what dating site they used, probably one of the free ones but it wasn't the one mentioned above.

I also have a close male friend whom I met online years ago but I wasn't romantically interested. He still dates online but I don't think he's interested in marriage. He enjoys the dating scene and he's an extremely nice, kind guy. I think he uses OK Cupid and some other site. Senior Friend Finder was good too.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 AM

8,387 posts, read 9,131,891 times
This was a few years ago. One 60 year old coworker met this guy online. Things worked out and they are still happily married. It was one of those Christian dating sites. Harmony, l think.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:20 AM

19,775 posts, read 19,875,860 times
I've tried a few different ones. One was geared for 55 and up.
They all can be ego building to ego busting, fun and amusing to frustrating.
If all a woman is looking for is casual sex, it's a gold mine. Anything else, you either get lucky or have to spend quite a bit of time filtering.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 AM

365 posts, read 305,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
During one of the NBA playoff games last night, I saw an ad for OurTime.com - Online Dating Site for Men & Women Over 50. This is a dating site targeting those 55+ or so and really pushed that the people there were not looking for "games" like those in their 20s/30s and how it targeted a more mature and sophisticated dating pool than other websites. I thought the ad was turning its nose up at other sites and other demographics, but it was at least interesting.

As an older person, would you consider online dating if you were to become single? If you are single, do you use it? If you use it/do not, what's your reasoning, and would you consider doing so in the future?
Hell no! Time to throw away the smart phone and trash the computer if the only way a person can meet a mate is through the keyboard. No wonder why our society is dying.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:07 AM

4,652 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Yes, I have tried many sites. With absolutely no luck. There seems to be someone for every appetite you could have except developing a serious monogamous relationship. It seems many men want sex on the first or second date. I don't know if that is to decide if his partner is "good" in bed or not. Since I don't read the women's ads (not looking for a woman), this same thing could be true for them, too.
I've gone the route of giving in too soon only to regret it later since what I wanted was never mutual. I have told at least one guy on one of the sites that he is looking in the wrong place, to search for sex sites as I am willing to bet there are a few. For cheaters, too.
I'm not judging anybody. I just know what I want and it does not appear to be available.
So I will plan my life around me and if someone I can relate to happens to come along, then I'll make adjustments.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 AM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This was a few years ago. One 60 year old coworker met this guy online. Things worked out and they are still happily married. It was one of those Christian dating sites. Harmony, l think.
Lol. I tried eHarmony years ago after my divorce. Paid for 6 months. Did not get one match. They wanted me to re-up, and I said no--I got nothing from you. They said they would look at my profile to determine what the problem was. Came back with "you are too tall for most men's preferences" (I am 6'1".) No sh**, Sherlock, I've known that since i was 14. Then, inexplicably, they asked if I wanted to change my profile and buy another 6 months. Change it how, exactly; LIE about my height? Don't you think someone is gonna notice the discrepancy when we meet in person? I declined, of course. In a way it was good because although their money-grubbing was sleazy, I did realize I have to face reality and stop hoping like a foolish girl and just proceed with life as a single person.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-20-2016 at 08:17 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 AM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Yes, I have tried many sites. With absolutely no luck. There seems to be someone for every appetite you could have except developing a serious monogamous relationship. It seems many men want sex on the first or second date. I don't know if that is to decide if his partner is "good" in bed or not. Since I don't read the women's ads (not looking for a woman), this same thing could be true for them, too.
I've gone the route of giving in too soon only to regret it later since what I wanted was never mutual. I have told at least one guy on one of the sites that he is looking in the wrong place, to search for sex sites as I am willing to bet there are a few. For cheaters, too.
I'm not judging anybody. I just know what I want and it does not appear to be available.
So I will plan my life around me and if someone I can relate to happens to come along, then I'll make adjustments.
Good for you, NYgal2NC for being true to yourself. Although we all want someone to share life with, we have to accept sometimes that it just may not happen but that we can still live a full life. "There's someone for everyone/a lid for every pot" is simply not true and invariably said smugly by someone already in a solid relationship.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 AM

781 posts, read 892,352 times
I had a lot of luck (or is it got lucky) from these sites about 20 years ago when I was still single. Actually met my current wife of 11 years from a popular dating site. She convinced me to leave NYC and move to Paradise, where I now have two son's (11 and 1) and have never been happier! (Richer,yes-Happier,no). I found it much more productive than picking up women in bars or on the street. With the internet you can find an attractive women,start a conversation,determine if the personality is compatible and not have to worry about chewing your arm off the next morning to get out of bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or