U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:26 PM

33,901 posts, read 42,143,850 times

Advertisements

Raise your hand if you like liver and onions or Spanish Rice, once a week staples at the local Senior Centers, which are still primarily populated by the WW II generation.

I've told my kids and Mrs. NBP to put me down if I ever want to go to the Senior Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:49 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,073,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I have read so many negative posts about senior citizen centers, and also people stating that maybe when they are way older than they are now that they might think about attending, but not now.

I am a "younger" old person and I LOVE the senior citizen center here in pueblo. I enjoy having a reasonably healthy lunch with a group of friends and paying only$2 to do so. the classes are nice, and there is always someone new to talk to and get to know.

I have been spending most mornings putting up drywall, cleaning gutters, batch freeze cooking, gardening,tending chickens, planning a retreat, filming for my channel [but how to upload?] and practicing for a hoola-hoop competition that isn't held until July.

By 11 AM I am ready to take a quick shower, put on a little eye liner, slip into my boots [or some cute footwear] and go on a nice little noon break [date?] with my husband.

utilizing the senior centers offerings do not make me feel older, just freer.
Just freer. I couldn't have said it better.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM

635 posts, read 405,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Raise your hand if you like liver and onions or Spanish Rice, once a week staples at the local Senior Centers, which are still primarily populated by the WW II generation.

I've told my kids and Mrs. NBP to put me down if I ever want to go to the Senior Center.

One, nothing wrong with the WW 2 generation. just as there is nothing wrong with the boomers, Xers, millenials and Zs'. We are all fascinating. I have never seen liver and onions on the menu at our center, but if I did, I would ask for only the fruit and vegetable, just as I do with other foods I don't like.

You seem to perceive senior centers in the same way that I view nursing homes. I believe there should be an "out option" for folks other than a nursing home. but... I do not feel, for me, that the senior citizen center is in any way "the last stop" before the end.

I am just now learning to play pool there, have people to make jewelry with, which I enjoy doing with others more than alone. I am still in the process of trying to put together a basic belly dance class [ probably my schedule will not be clear enough until after summer] There are already many things to do, but anyone [such as my belly dance class] can put together activities that lean towards their personal interests.

I do understand that for many the senior citizen center is not their cup of tea. It just bothers me that so many people look at it as a place to go only when too decrepit and feeble to do anything else. And I do enjoy the WW2 set as well and hope that the Xers enjoy spending time with we boomers when we are the oldest of the old.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 4,584,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my area, many of the public schools offer senior hot lunch. While it is not a traditional "senior center" at the HS where I used to be a sub teacher about 10 seniors meet each day for lunch ($2.10 a day). They eat before the students have lunch and then chat and drink coffee after their meal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
I would love to do this at a school while the kids were eating, I think it could be good for me and the kids to spend time together at a meal! Grade and middle school would be fun as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sounds like an unrealistic dream. I doubt grade and middle school kids are interested in entertaining you. They have their own lives.
Funny...after reading Germaine's post, I (like Oregonbirder) thought it would be fun to have the seniors eat WITH the students. I doubt that middle school students would be interested in dining with seniors, but I'll bet the elementary age kids would love it...especially the younger ones. So many children don't live near their grandparents anymore, and some communities actually have "adopt-a-grandparent" programs. Seniors and schoolchildren eating together could be a pleasant start to some beautiful relationships.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM

6,261 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Funny...after reading Germaine's post, I (like Oregonbirder) thought it would be fun to have the seniors eat WITH the students. I doubt that middle school students would be interested in dining with seniors, but I'll bet the elementary age kids would love it...especially the younger ones. ................

Yup, the younger the better. Nothing past 4th grade.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:28 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
*raises hand* I LOVE liver and onions, and Spanish Rice is pretty good, too. But I'm not a senior yet (except in the AARP's eyes). Too bad.

At least I know I might have something tasty to look forward to when I do finally retire!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
Honestly, the senior center that Vicky3vicky describes in her original post sounds like a place a lot of people who aren't senior might also enjoy. I suspect the only reason a general all-ages "community center" run along those lines wouldn't be a hit is that too many working-age people today lack the leisure time to make use of it.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:42 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,299,478 times
I joined 2 locations of my county senior centers so I could take tai chi classes, and enjoyed them so much I signed up for Zumba too. I have met several friends by taking these classes; some my age (early 60's) but one who is 90. She has become my hero. She is independent, active, in good health, and told me her 60's were her favorite decade, which gave me a whole new perspective on things. I look forward to participating in even more activities as time goes on.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 PM

19,846 posts, read 18,867,840 times
I'd go to a senior center if they offered drawing classes and if the exercise classes weren't at 9 in the morning. I'm retired. I do NOT want to be somewhere at 9 in the morning. (I want to be at home, sipping coffee or tea while I read the news.) I'd like some place to go in the afternoon. I don't really have the mornings free--it's relaxing time, long breakfast time, paperwork and phone calls time.

Ours does have oil or acrylic painting but I gave that up years ago due to the mess and the smell of it. I'd love a plain ordinary drawing class with other people. Charcoal or pencils and paper.

I went to a bead making class at a senior center once and it turned out to be more like kindergarten--instead of teaching us bead work, they threw a pile of beads on the table and gave us about 15 minutes to string them. I felt like a five year old.

I'd love some lectures and interesting talks but maybe they don't have the budget for that. I'd love something like a ping pong table too. Something to do other than bingo, which i don't do and will never do. Some exercise machines but maybe they can't have those either due to liability issues?

I still go there and pick up the schedule but there's never anything of interest to me. Anyone who has a good senior center is lucky. I'd go if we had a good one.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,557,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sounds like an unrealistic dream. I doubt grade and middle school kids are interested in entertaining you. They have their own lives.
I know of a senior center in Green Valley, AZ, that specializes in Inter-Generational Programming. The center is located at Casa de Esperanza, where there is also a children's day care center on the premises. When the seniors who gather for lunch or attend the adult day program (designed to allow caregivers of people with Alzheimer's and other dementia/memory issues some time off), there are often days when they bring the children from Los Ninos de Valle over to share activities.

Many adults would never participate in child-level games, crafts, etc., even if it would help their memory issues, are willing to do it if they think they are helping a child. The young visitors call their elderly friends "the grandparents" and seem to enjoy the regular interactions with adults who are delighted to see them and spend time with them. It's a win-win situation. The children get loving, personal attention and the elders get fun times with cute kids.

The counselors from Casa de Esperanza have been invited by mental health organizations as far away as the East Coast to lecture about their positive experiences with Inter-Generational Programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or