Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:54 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times

Advertisements

I have read so many negative posts about senior citizen centers, and also people stating that maybe when they are way older than they are now that they might think about attending, but not now.

I am a "younger" old person and I LOVE the senior citizen center here in pueblo. I enjoy having a reasonably healthy lunch with a group of friends and paying only$2 to do so. the classes are nice, and there is always someone new to talk to and get to know.

I have been spending most mornings putting up drywall, cleaning gutters, batch freeze cooking, gardening,tending chickens, planning a retreat, filming for my channel [but how to upload?] and practicing for a hoola-hoop competition that isn't held until July.

By 11 AM I am ready to take a quick shower, put on a little eye liner, slip into my boots [or some cute footwear] and go on a nice little noon break [date?] with my husband.

utilizing the senior centers offerings do not make me feel older, just freer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
That's great that you've found the activities at your senior center to be to your liking, OP. But we are all different, and all senior centers are different too.

I live within easy walking distance of a senior center and if there comes a time in my life when I lack thinkgs to do, I'll check it out. You have a busy life outside of your senior center, but it still remains a "fit" for you. I just haven;t yet felt the need or the inclination.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Consider yourself lucky...or you planned well in selecting a retirement location.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the local resources. There is a senior center about 20-30 minutes of driving from me. Driving in rush hours could put that about 45 minutes, each way. The activities are largely cards and games. They offer nutritional counseling. I could pay for Yoga. That is about it. No lunches, no food. There is a separate community center about 10 minutes away. More cards and games, but only in the evenings.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
In my area, many of the public schools offer senior hot lunch. While it is not a traditional "senior center" at the HS where I used to be a sub teacher about 10 seniors meet each day for lunch ($2.10 a day). They eat before the students have lunch and then chat and drink coffee after their meal.

There are also numerous senior classes or senior activities at various churches or at other sites through the local recreation departments. These are in addition to things at actual brick & motor "senior centers".

Check it out in your area.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
We also have a beautiful senior center in the Blue Ridge Mountains!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I also love my senior center. We have great yoga and tai chi classes as well as a very large and well attended exercise class. Lots of card games. Great drawing class and several language classes. I am going to the book club this week that just started.

Having said all of that, I go because I enjoy the people. I rarely take classes or eat lunch. It is a cheerful place and I like the crew who run the place. It's just one of the places I go when I want to be around people.

I also like to help support the center because I believe it fills a need for many that is not met elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:50 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
I belong to a senior center. I go maybe three times a year. Mostly for trips or lectures.

The people there are very lively. I'm probably the youngest one there and I feel comfortable around them. I've always hung out with older people, even in high school, so maybe that is why!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my area, many of the public schools offer senior hot lunch. While it is not a traditional "senior center" at the HS where I used to be a sub teacher about 10 seniors meet each day for lunch ($2.10 a day). They eat before the students have lunch and then chat and drink coffee after their meal.

There are also numerous senior classes or senior activities at various churches or at other sites through the local recreation departments. These are in addition to things at actual brick & motor "senior centers".

I would love to do this at a school while the kids were eating, I think it could be good for me and the kids to spend time together at a meal! Grade and middle school would be fun as well

Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
I would love to do this at a school while the kids were eating, I think it could be good for me and the kids to spend time together at a meal! Grade and middle school would be fun as well
Sounds like an unrealistic dream. I doubt grade and middle school kids are interested in entertaining you. They have their own lives.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
If you sign up in advance (that morning) you can actually get the senior price for a hot lunch at any school in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement