U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:36 PM

593 posts, read 786,806 times

Advertisements

57 here and I know I'm getting old when I get nostalgic about being able to pee quickly and easily and being able to sleep 8 hours straight. The eyesight is getting weaker, especially for reading but I still resist bifocals. Otherwise, I'm in decent shape.

At 5'10" and 173 lbs, still lean and firm. I lift weights regularly, with the heaviest weights I can without straining myself. I have no wrinkles or liver spots anywhere on my face, neck or arms. The hairline has receded and thinned out but still have a decent head of hair that's mostly black with a little gray sprinkled here and there.

I don't kid myself though, I'm still old although perception varies among ages. To a 75 year old, I'm a young fella. To a 35 year old, I'm a senior citizen. To a 25 year old, I'm an old coot. To a 15 year old, I'm grandpa.

To most females under the age of 40, I'm the invisible man. Just another old person they don't see. That can be tough because the part of me that admires youthful beauty hasn't changed.

At the risk of sounding pervy, I was at a health club the other day and happened to be walking behind 2 female lifeguards who couldn't have been older than 20. I couldn't help but glance at the shapely rear ends peeking from their swimsuits. Yes, it was a beautiful sight. Just another reminder that although a lot of things do change as you age, some things never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 06:14 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
I was at a party recently. There were three generations there. The youngest were some kids who'd accompanied their parents. The parents of the kids were older Millennials. Then, there were us old farts. While we don't have kids, we were most obviously in affinity with the grandparents in attendance.

Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh!

Maybe I'll skip the 40th HS reunion early next decade.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:26 PM

20,204 posts, read 11,199,738 times
Going to the 45th high school graduation reunion...and recognizing classmates only because they brought their children with them...IOW, recognizing their children.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM

7,725 posts, read 4,750,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This really hits a nerve. I feel old because my knees hurt. And my legs around my knees hurt. I can't move like I think I should be able to. I've been working out--walking and doing exercises on Nautulis machines. But nothing really gives me lasting improvement.
The muscles that support your knees can get tight and tweak your patella out of position, creating pain. Working out won't fix that. Two things help me and greatly lessen my knee pain:

1. Taking a seated full-body stretch from head to toe several times a day. I do this just before I get up from the sofa.

2. Using a foam roller for myofascial release. I use one on my IT band. Or you can use a tennis ball and roll it firmly on the muscle areas just above and below your knees. Don't use it on bony places.

A trainer can show you how to do this properly.

We stiffen up as we age and sometimes we need help getting and staying flexible. For me, feeling not-old is being physically active without pain.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:52 PM

21,944 posts, read 14,428,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The muscles that support your knees can get tight and tweak your patella out of position, creating pain. Working out won't fix that. Two things help me and greatly lessen my knee pain:

1. Taking a seated full-body stretch from head to toe several times a day. I do this just before I get up from the sofa.

2. Using a foam roller for myofascial release. I use one on my IT band. Or you can use a tennis ball and roll it firmly on the muscle areas just above and below your knees. Don't use it on bony places.

A trainer can show you how to do this properly.

We stiffen up as we age and sometimes we need help getting and staying flexible. For me, feeling not-old is being physically active without pain.
I think my knee pains is probably chondromalacia because of flat, pronating feet. I do appreciate your advice but I don't really understand it. If you had links with diagrams, that might be helpful. I can't even imagine what foam roller I would use for "myofascial release". Or what an IT band is.

I don't have a trainer.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 AM

6,334 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Just realized that I am wearing sneakers more often.

I always refused to wear sneakers with jeans or anything else unless it was for exercise. Now eeeekkkkk - here I am with five new pairs in vibrant colors and wearing them almost daily.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
My beard has been completely white for several years, so the option of growing one is off the table.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:14 AM

25,091 posts, read 23,977,576 times
Something always hurts. My body remembers every injury and insult it's ever received.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:20 AM

20,204 posts, read 11,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Something always hurts. My body remembers every injury and insult it's ever received.
Yes, they start coming back on you in your fifties.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 AM

5,806 posts, read 4,854,199 times
When I catch myself starting to say "When I was younger..." and I realize that my experiences are not really relevant to today's youth. And I'm only 57.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or