U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Me too, but I think it's just too much time on the computer.
My hand pain could be too much posting and swiping on my ipad. I do lots of genealogy research and stay up late at night swiping away at records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM

18,835 posts, read 4,945,539 times
Young people walking around me, I don't notice I'm not walking as fast as others
until they pass by me.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,638,622 times
I feel great: no aches or pains (knocking on wood here), nothing to remind me I'm 68-almost-69 years old. Until I look in the mirror. It startles me every time, and I think, "Who the **** is that!?" That's when I feel old.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 PM

11,092 posts, read 12,478,899 times
Well at 64 1/2 after I cut, split and stack a few cords of firewood my back hurts and makes me feel old. But then, I felt the same when I was 28 and cutting firewood. Other than that, I'm good.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,810 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Whether it's a project like bathroom remodel, building a new greenhouse on the weekend, or just spending a day with my very active grandson I find myself very tired and sore at the end of the day . . .and the next day. Using muscles extensively that I don't normally can always make one a bit stiff, but at 63 it's a lot worse and lasts a lot longer.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,086,149 times
My passion is gardening, just like my mom and her mom. We always had big flower gardens and lots of work outside.

Lately, I realize I cannot do all of it anymore. Today I have a real bad backache after pulling weeds and bending over in the yard. I have also been hauling buckets of rock from one side of the yard to the other, where a tree is now gone. One day last week, I tried to cut the front lawn and had to come inside 3 times to rest.

It's a sign of worse things to come, I fear. Early 70s feels like 80s today.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 PM

7,116 posts, read 8,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Last night, I started mentally reviewing the last ten years and how things have changed for me as I've gone from 20 to 30.
At your age, you're not getting older...you're getting better!

In many ways, no matter what our ages, we are still getting better, if only with experience. At age 68, I don't feel that I am any the worse for wear. My grandkids still think I know it all!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:56 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
In my 20's I developed what became a very serious version of ulcerative colitus. It wasn't diagnosed for three years and then the never ending 'episodes' were a mystery for the 'doctor'. Next doctor concluded it was not the episodic type. But in the meantime I had a lot of damage. When I had surgery, it made me feel much better. But I lost way more than you normally do. From that I have certain differences than others. I don't absorb b12 from food, have to use a pill that goes into the blood stream or shots. My ability to absorb a lot of things is compromized. I've gotten tired easy since then, and that any pill I take may work all at once, not at all or anything between befuddles doctors who just don't get it.

I've felt 'older' since then. But I know my limits, and quit when its time. And I haven't gotten appreciably worse since then. Maybe that's why I feel like I slid into my 60's without much notice. Sometimes I think about how I could have gone after disability back then, certainly when my ex convinced me not to. There are so many roads not taken you wonder about.

So maybe I've been 'older' for a long time. At twenty something you usually don't think a lot about those roads. But I did. It doesn't feel much different thinking about them now.

The biggest road I decided to follow was moving away from where home and family used to be. Mom and dad and all the grandparents and aunts and uncles, all gone. I didn't want to see those places again, just remember them as I did as a kid. Moving to a whole different state was a wonderful choice. Its a brand new road to travel, leaving a lot of ghosts behind.

I think there is a moment when we stop seeing 'now' as the whole world, and how we got there and where we go from there as a new way to look at life, and that is when we reach the road to peace. I've been told I have an 'old soul', and maybe that's part of there too.

But life is about changes and dealing with them as they come the very best and with the most wisdom that you can, and for some it comes young and for some it never does. And for most it catches up with someone cared for is lost and you realize that time is real.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,523,738 times
What makes me feel just plain old?

Doing manual labor today that I used to be able to do all day long on an empty stomach.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,301,174 times
When I have flash backs to the 50's when my Grand Father drove an American Motors Rambler and the neighbor purchased a new 57 Chevy and when I made phone calls on the dial phone with a cord attached to the wall and then I had to talk to an operator to get through. Or when I would by a block of ice to put in the refrigerator to keep it cold. Or when a dime would buy a large Baby Ruth candy bar at the movie theater and then I watched 3 different movies in a row all day Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or