U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:38 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,143,320 times

Advertisements

Looking in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:41 PM

294 posts, read 236,831 times
Bills definitely make me feel old.

Best childhood memory is not having them!

Just kidding, it's having a nanny who does everything for me :P

Old 04-19-2016, 02:46 PM

825 posts, read 564,997 times
My grandparents were all gone before I was 5 years old, so I never really knew them. My parents were both gone by the time I was in my early 50s. I come from a short-lived line and have only two relatives who are older. I'm only in my mid-50s now. So thinking about relatives doesn't make me feel older.

I'm also very active at work and at home, so physically I don't feel my age, with one exception: vision. I could always read the tiniest print, but not anymore. Anything as small as the small print on a driver's license or smaller requires reading glasses, which is incredibly annoying after never needing glasses at all for half a century. I also find my vision darker when I'm driving at night, which my eye doctor tells me is completely normal. I can still drive at night, but I notice it doesn't seem as brightly lit as before.

Apart from that, I felt ancient when a POTUS was elected who was younger than I was. That was a real milestone for me. Also reading the obituary page, where birth dates of some of the deceased are getting uncomfortably close to where I am.

Last edited by josie13; 04-19-2016 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: POTUS younger, not older!

Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post

I'm also very active at work and at home, so physically I don't feel my age, with one exception: vision. I could always read the tiniest print, but not anymore.
Same here. If it wasn't for my vision, I feel as good or better than when I was at the OP's age. I think being active is the key to feel young.

Note to OP: How about trying to cut back on computer usage on your free time to give your hands/fingers a rest and become more physically active ? No, this is not a shaming or scolding post, just a friendly suggestion ;-)

Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Same here. If it wasn't for my vision, I feel as good or better than when I was at the OP's age. I think being active is the key to feel young.

Note to OP: How about trying to cut back on computer usage on your free time to give your hands/fingers a rest and become more physically active ? No, this is not a shaming or scolding post, just a friendly suggestion ;-)
I've cut back on screen time at home. I feel more sedentary than ever. I usually try to walk at least one mile over lunch and get more exercise in the evening. I walked four miles each yesterday and Saturday.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:08 PM

598 posts, read 697,451 times
Well, 3 things....

(1) A few years ago I broke my leg in a household accident and ended up in hospital and rehab for 6 weeks and with limited mobility for months afterwards. It was the worst experience of my life, and the thing that made it most horrifying was that I realized it was only a preview of things to come when I get older.... :-(

(2) Over the past few years, I've started hearing about several people around my own age who have died from natural causes (folks I went to college with, their spouses, etc).

(3) I've recently been told I have a potentially fatal disease myself, and while my symptoms are under control for now, I could drop dead suddenly at any time.

I'm in my mid-50s, FWIW.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I feel more sedentary than ever. I usually try to walk at least one mile over lunch and get more exercise in the evening. I walked four miles each yesterday and Saturday.
SC,

My husband and I walked with the dog daily for 3-4 miles. Today, I used google map to find a walking path to the polling station (partly through the wood) so we walked instead of driving. It only took about 3.5 miles RT.

When I was working, I walked even more (6-8 miles/day). I walked 30-45 minutes during lunch hour and squeezed 5 minutes walk every hour. I joined my husband and the dog for their walk when I came home.

Try to use the computer while standing up as often as you can.

There are also many exercises you can do at your desk like stretching, squat exercise, tricep dip, bicep exercise, wrist squeezer etc.

Once you can start doing these things, they become a habit before long. You will feel energetic and young.

You are only 30 years old, your best days are ahead of you.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:41 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,873,071 times
When the 20-something clerk at the grocery store says "Do you need help out with your bags, Sir?"

Old 04-19-2016, 03:53 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,058,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What makes you feel old, either physically, socially, or spotting trends that have come and gone?

Physically: When I can't fun as far at the same weight I was before.

Socially: Feeling appalled by the lack of class and values.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM

536 posts, read 631,961 times
Two words: neck wrinkles. Mushrooms could grow in my neck grooves.

No facial wrinkles, but puh-leese. One of the Ephron sisters wrote the book first--I think the title was "I Hate My Neck!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or