U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:48 AM

14,540 posts, read 8,011,929 times

Advertisements

I'm 59 and I DON'T feel old. I roller skate every Friday morning, ice skate once a week and we went skiing once a week. I can jump on my bike and easily do a 12 mile ride and do so once or twice a week. I also do three hour long night rides and I'll be out until at least 3am. That's after I walk the dogs for an hour.

Yesterday we took out our fish pond and I hauled wheel barrel after wheel barrel of dirt after John gave up. Okay I was in agony last night but today I'm just a little sore and ready to go haul some stone for the little dry stream we made in place of the pond.

Your mother needs to get up and move dear one. She is old before her time and could be heading towards a lot of health problems way too young.

We roller skate with someone who is 92 and I want to be just like him when I grow up. We have quite a few 80 year olds on wheels too. They're fit and amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:54 AM

4,018 posts, read 2,936,047 times
Another one occurred to me. Kind of a sad watershed event; when my parents first started asking for my input on their decisions I was really proud, but when it moved into the stage where they were really asking me to make the decision I didn't like taking the torch near as much as I thought I would.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:09 AM

8,057 posts, read 4,930,782 times
My knees make me feel old. Looking in the mirror and seeing pale age spots on my face makes me feel really old.

Hair coloring was damaging my hair, so I'm growing out the gray. It does make me feel a bit old.

Getting junk mail from mortuaries and assisted-living facilities makes me feel both old and depressed. They started their full-court-press advertising barrage the day DH turned 65.

However, there are days when I get the urge to dance to my favorite music and that makes me feel young.

Since I've been working with a trainer, I have some days when I have to burn excess energy because it's bedtime and I'm still wide awake. I had almost forgotten what having energy was like. Chalk it up in the "young" column.

A handsome young man pushing a baby stroller walked past my house yesterday, smiled and waved. Not being invisible for once (especially being noticed by a hottie) makes me feel young.

I am 62.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:12 AM

9,820 posts, read 7,126,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I got "sirred" this morning by a younger coworker; someone I don't work directly with and don't know well. It was absolutely respectful, but...
LOL, maybe you'd have rather been called "DUDE"?

Old 04-20-2016, 10:12 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,596,952 times
My best friend age 75 lives in the past, couldn't care less about computers or technology. Annoys me as we can't talk about it, I'm certainly not good with it but do try to learn all I can and keep up some.
He professes to be a car fan, so am I but with him only old cars, doesn't know a thing about newer cars and has no interest at all. I read about newer cars and know them fairly well.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,297,794 times
The realization of just how many changes we've seen throughout our lifetime can become a daunting experience for the fact that our past has little in common with the present, and, that means that your past is now irrelevant to anything of any consequence. Like the old horseman telling the young auto driver of his exploits at the terrifying speeds of 25 MPH, one can find oneself falling behind in the current events dept, fairly easily.

Not to say that this falling behind is necessarily a bad thing, nor can it be addressed as a kind of shameful or unpleasant factor in life, it is the way of aging, and the numerous tales of 90 year old people skydiving or downhill skiing, well, I don't know what to make of that except to say there's always an exception to the rule.

Most of us know we are old at retirement--that's the thing, the knowing, and we've all seen the "unknowing" types that persist in thinking of youth as a superior form and actively pursue any youthful activities in defiance of their age. All in all I do OK most of the time, aches and pain are my old companion of thirty years or more, it won't be much different for my grand kids, we all age, and we all die, so, the present is all we've got and that goes for ALL of us not just the old.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM

4,018 posts, read 2,936,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, maybe you'd have rather been called "DUDE"?
I would have been okay with that. I guess the reason it bugged me a little is that even though I don't know him well, he isn't a total stranger. Cashiers have been doing it for several years but it is more of a canned response than an actual evaluation of me personally.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,167,155 times
When my hip is hurting as I try to go to sleep.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM

4,742 posts, read 3,304,068 times
A friend of mine and I walked into Target and a young man called us "girls." He had a big grin on his face.

I thought that was kind of cute. No offense taken by either of us.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:43 AM

10,673 posts, read 14,464,126 times
Verifying an ID an realizing the oldster in front of me is my age or younger, sometimes a lot younger!
OTOH I can still work circles around a lot of my younger co-workers so that's a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or