Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,354,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live on a second story apartment and the parking lot is about 20 feet to the building door, then up a flight of steps and another 20 feet to my door. I get 40 packs of water at Costco and load them on my shoulders and carry them up the stairs, but I am a muscular young guy. I can't imagine an older person or woman getting stuff into my unit easily.

There was a thread about me that got legs a few months back. No book, just a bored office worker with little personal life here.
I don't waste my time answering questions posed by a bored 30-year-old office worker. You must get quite a chuckle out of all the sweet old people who do though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,171,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Actually, Millennials are absolutely freaking out about getting older, retirement prep, etc. Imagine starting out with a 5 or 6 figure student debt and there are only barrista jobs. Finally, approaching 30, you land a real career - but you are still renting, unmarried, etc, etc. I am now managing some teams of millennials in the work place and it has been an eye opener. Even as an Xer I feel lucky in comparison.

If I were a millennial I'd worry too.
My son spent a year applying to anything he could, and ended up at a sandwitch shop on minimun wage. Then he got married and they rented a room together and actually saved. Then she found a possible job out of state, and he applied too, and both got jobs. They moved and were able to rent a place with space for her brother to move out too. He's working a lot of hours but he's gettting paid well and learning something with a future. I used to be really worried about him but I'm quite proud now. He's looking at all the possibilities now. And he's taken the controls.

I got the short stray since I had problems with a cronic illness, but still wonder if I hadn't had the problems what I could have done. I'm glad my son will not have to wonder since he seems to have his visions of tomorrow in the right place.

Oddly enough, my son got his job because he liked gaming. The job required ease with the same sort of systems, and the owner had found that gamers made good prospects since they understood the basics already. In some ways the current generations are lucky with all the experinces they might have used to play with which in the end can be used for something life enhansing.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:15 AM

496 posts, read 550,053 times
I find it intriguing that OP is interested in what older people have to say.Young people rarely show much interest in the perspectives of much older people. In fact, most of them don't even "see" older people.

The fact that he's doing it on work time is of concern to his employer, not to me.

Also, I doubt anyone is on the forum who isn't otherwise a teeny bit bored.

Finally, I am many things, but sweet is not among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't waste my time answering questions posed by a bored 30-year-old office worker. You must get quite a chuckle out of all the sweet old people who do though.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,781,040 times
The conversation takes on a life of its own and this one has some interesting tidbits and made me think on a few things. I am not concerned with the OP's motives, especially since I could only speculate what it is.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:01 AM

10,805 posts, read 14,867,338 times
The realization that to many I lived in history.

I remember when Eisenhower won his second election, the building of the Berlin wall, the Cuban missile crisis, the Kennedy assassination and my time in Vietnam.

Remember in grade school they would have the "duck and cover" drills so second graders across the land would know what to do in a nuke attack? Go ahead and try to explain that to a 20 something today.

It seems many people alive today weren't around when these things happened and when I do mention it I am looked at as if I am an Egyptologist explaining how to read hieroglyphics.

I feel older when it dawns on me these things all happened half a century ago and to put it in perspective I take 30 years off my life to when I was 38 years old and subtract 50 years from that. 50 years earlier from 1986 WW2 hadn't even started yet and America was still in the great depression.

Technology; it seems rather slow coming to me but look how technology changed between 1910 and 1960. Fifty years, unbelievable to me.

And then there is health. Actually not health but just getting older.

I am still working and yesterday I had a job site meeting at a construction site for a three story motel. Of course elevators aren't in and there is still a ladder to the roof. I am climbing up and down this ladder and I realize it is taking me twice as long today as it did just 10 years ago. My footing isn't as sure even on something so simple as stairs. My balance isn't what it once was.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:38 AM

14,827 posts, read 11,967,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
But apparently you don't think you are wasting your time with commenting on it? Or is it that you can't resist a snark when you see an opportunity.

Here's a hint. You find a topic/thread you don't like, the easiest, fastest way to deal with it is to ignore it and move on.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 AM

34,847 posts, read 30,914,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My son spent a year applying to anything he could, and ended up at a sandwitch shop on minimun wage. Then he got married and they rented a room together and actually saved. Then she found a possible job out of state, and he applied too, and both got jobs. They moved and were able to rent a place with space for her brother to move out too. He's working a lot of hours but he's gettting paid well and learning something with a future. I used to be really worried about him but I'm quite proud now. He's looking at all the possibilities now. And he's taken the controls.

I got the short stray since I had problems with a cronic illness, but still wonder if I hadn't had the problems what I could have done. I'm glad my son will not have to wonder since he seems to have his visions of tomorrow in the right place.

Oddly enough, my son got his job because he liked gaming. The job required ease with the same sort of systems, and the owner had found that gamers made good prospects since they understood the basics already. In some ways the current generations are lucky with all the experinces they might have used to play with which in the end can be used for something life enhansing.
Something similar happened to a couple of long time friends of mine. One of my best friends committed suicide back in 2013, and one of his lifelong friends was absolutely devastated and not making much money himself. Anyway, the dead man's sister got a job in Michigan and her husband went with her, then Tim went, and they ended up helping a couple other people get on at various places in Ann Arbor. I probably know half a dozen friends and acquaintances that moved from my hometown to Ann Arbor.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,822,274 times
I am 69 and although I walk with a cane, cannot sleep more than six hours, make three trips to the bathroom at night and need devices to pull on my socks and put on my shoes I still don't feel old. i will know I am old when a sexy young Woman enters the room and I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,528,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Last night, I started mentally reviewing the last ten years and how things have changed for me as I've gone from 20 to 30. While I'm not retired or old, there are some things that made me feel a little old, so to speak.....................
your local high school kids and younger would probably disagree

Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 AM

10,805 posts, read 14,867,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
Debbie Harry is 70? I didn't feel old before, but I do now!
And she's going to be 71 in July!

Not bad at all for 71, not bad at all.

I'll probably get a violation for the photo but I couldn't help myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement