U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2016, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
Reputation: 27772

Advertisements

Last night, I started mentally reviewing the last ten years and how things have changed for me as I've gone from 20 to 30. While I'm not retired or old, there are some things that made me feel a little old, so to speak.

1) 3/4 of my grandparents are still alive and all are at least 80. I know I have precious few years left with them, and instead of using the two days I took off to go tear up the party scene, I'm going back home to see family. I haven't been home since January.

Likewise, my parents are going to be 59 this year. Dad is still doing well, but mom has gained a noticeable amount of weight in the last ten years or so and has slowed down noticeably from where she was when I was 20. I know we're probably more than halfway through our time together on this earth.

2) My maternal grandmother has a downstairs den that was primarily used by grandfather before he died back in 2009. It really hasn't been touched much since. Mom sent me a picture of the room asking if I wanted any of the furniture a few weeks back, and it showed his rotary dial phone, cassette answering machine, and a bunch of VHS tapes. I used all of these. Blast from the past.

3) Virtually all of the great aunts/uncles are dead. Most would be 90+ now. I didn't know them well, but it shows that that generation is virtually gone, and I've "moved up in the batting order."

4) In my head, I still see some mid-90s cars as "newer models." I'll also sometimes think of the music I listened to in high school in the early 2000s as still current.

5) Physically, I don't feel much different and haven't had any health problems, but I do stiffen up a lot more than I used to. I work in IT, so I'm at a desk all and not moving around like I did when I was 20 and in college.

What makes you feel old, either physically, socially, or spotting trends that have come and gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 5,085,406 times
Reputation: 12910
I've been feeling some stiffness in my hands lately. My feet can start hurting sometimes if I don't switch shoes day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,778 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Reputation: 14355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Last night, I started mentally reviewing the last ten years and how things have changed for me as I've gone from 20 to 30. While I'm not retired or old, there are some things that made me feel a little old, so to speak.

1) 3/4 of my grandparents are still alive and all are at least 80. I know I have precious few years left with them, and instead of using the two days I took off to go tear up the party scene, I'm going back home to see family. I haven't been home since January.

Likewise, my parents are going to be 59 this year. Dad is still doing well, but mom has gained a noticeable amount of weight in the last ten years or so and has slowed down noticeably from where she was when I was 20. I know we're probably more than halfway through our time together on this earth.

2) My maternal grandmother has a downstairs den that was primarily used by grandfather before he died back in 2009. It really hasn't been touched much since. Mom sent me a picture of the room asking if I wanted any of the furniture a few weeks back, and it showed his rotary dial phone, cassette answering machine, and a bunch of VHS tapes. I used all of these. Blast from the past.

3) Virtually all of the great aunts/uncles are dead. Most would be 90+ now. I didn't know them well, but it shows that that generation is virtually gone, and I've "moved up in the batting order."

4) In my head, I still see some mid-90s cars as "newer models." I'll also sometimes think of the music I listened to in high school in the early 2000s as still current.

5) Physically, I don't feel much different and haven't had any health problems, but I do stiffen up a lot more than I used to. I work in IT, so I'm at a desk all and not moving around like I did when I was 20 and in college.

What makes you feel old, either physically, socially, or spotting trends that have come and gone?
Oh my goodness, at your age I would say it's more like you are feeling the passage of time, rather than your getting old. And IMO that realization of time flying by is a good thing, as you indicate a desire to appreciate the moment, your loved ones that are still around, and hopefully, to appreciate what's around you in the moment. Because it's so true that the present is all we can be sure of, the past is gone, and none of us are guaranteed the future.

What gets to me sometimes, and what I regret, is not trying to contact people that meant a great deal to me in my formative years, or when I was lots younger. There are too many of these folks that I thought of over the years, thought "someday" I would try and contact them again, but then learned that they had died, and now it's too late. And thinking, as I have, that if only I had not postponed meeting with these folks brings only sadness, and maybe a resolve not to do it again.

I'm much older than you are-older than your parents, and the passage of time, seeing children grow up, have children of their own, then grandchildren, seeing friends grow old and have to fight the vicissitudesnof old age (as I do as well), seeing changes everywhere, realizing how long it's really been since I visited a given location, seen a friend, I know that is the nature of things but yeah, it makes me feel old.

Looking in that magnifying mirror so I can see to put on my face, such as it is, REALLY makes me feel old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 11:10 AM
 
4,342 posts, read 2,274,939 times
Reputation: 5591
When I realized that OLD now means online dating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 11:22 AM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
3,912 posts, read 2,887,120 times
Reputation: 6291
Physically, the osteo in one foot makes me feel old when it acts up; I don't like being slow and gimpy. It bugs me more than other things because when it acts up I can't keep it from being noticed by others. It is not all that frequent and 3 or 4 motrin will make it feel better in an hour or two (but does the ringing in my ears bother you? Tinnitus volume peaks with NSAIDs). Also some hearing loss; not much but sometimes I miss things and ask someone to say it again and get the "it's not important" and I can hear them mentally adding "pops"...

Socially, a few of my friends and family near my age are on disability and won't work again. One or two probably could manage to get past the issue but just realizing that we are close enough the end of our work life that taking early retirement is a common option makes me feel old. I don't personally know anyone I consider to be a full generation ahead of me that is still working.

Mentally... what was the question again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM
 
6,322 posts, read 4,765,544 times
Reputation: 12983
At age 30, you have no idea.


I have so many aches and pains, I consider it fortunate that I am getting to the point where I don't even pay attention to them anymore.


I noticed this topic because yesterday was a bit weird. I spent a parts of last Thursday and yesterday participating in a hobby with a University club. I am probably not really eligible for even practice since I have an "associates" ID card. I was as I said weird since the average age was probably all of 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
Reputation: 27772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been feeling some stiffness in my hands lately. My feet can start hurting sometimes if I don't switch shoes day to day.
Me too, but I think it's just too much time on the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,250 posts, read 8,572,788 times
Reputation: 35701
No one tells you just how young you are when you start to feel "changes". You imagine you'll be 60 or older but it starts far before then. You'll find out how irritating it is if you go to the doctor at around 40 saying you're "tired" and they say, well you're not 30 any more!

You'll be sore like the day after going to the gym, but...you haven't been to the gym! That'll be the new normal...crackly knees...maybe more indigestion. You definitely won't be able to eat as much as you used to and maintain weight...well, your weight may stay the same but you get fatter as you lose muscle so your clothes won't fit the same. So stay fit because once you lose it then it's much harder climbing back up that hill - it gets steeper every year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Haiku
4,188 posts, read 2,607,728 times
Reputation: 6178
OP - You are barely 30 years old and you have 10,000 posts on C-D? You need to get a life and quit hanging around here with us old geezers. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 12:35 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 5,085,406 times
Reputation: 12910
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
OP - You are barely 30 years old and you have 10,000 posts on C-D? You need to get a life and quit hanging around here with us old geezers. Sheesh.
eh - it gives him some insight into what is coming up.

I hang out with people 15 or more years older than me. I see the things they do and sadly it is more not something I would want for my future, rather than what I want to do.

Darn, maybe I need better friends and family??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top