U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:05 AM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times

Advertisements

Go while you still can! Who cares if anyone here thinks it's weird! BTW, I could have gone to Woodstock....my friends had all gone up (from PA) on Friday and we were supposed to go Sat. But we fell for the news reports saying it was a sea of mud and I hate getting dirty, so we stayed home. Well, that was one of the biggest regrets of my life. Whether or not I would have enjoyed it is beside the point. One of my friends even ended up in the movie....he's on his motorcycle in the long line waiting to get in, and the camera guy's camera hits him in the helmet....the friend turns around and glares into the camera.

My bucket list is pretty lame at this point -- mostly a tattoo. But knowing me, I'll get some kind of infection or other weird side-effect, as I do with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 AM

466 posts, read 290,990 times
I've been, just a couple of years ago. It was rough and hot and dusty and too much techno-music...and awesome and interesting and crazy fun! Go here and explore the site. They'll tell you all the stuff you need to bring. Nothing is for sale there so make sure you have enough to keep you going the whole time you are there. Lots of water. Baby wipes to clean up with! It was well worth every bit of inconvenience. Go for it!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
I have friends who've gone and do so every year they can. Its a place to push away the preconceptions and just enjoy. I'd love to go, even with heat and dust, but I know I'd end up too hot and tired without seeing much. Given the health problems, I'd rather go to a really good science fiction con, used to yearly at least one before I moved. Its the same unconventional view of the world but at a hotel with parties and food and when your tired, crash in your room. Thought I could still stay up until the last room party ended on Saturday night.... And wear the Nightbird outfit...... but with the new over the knee lace up english riding boots!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:38 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,570,580 times
You will have a great time. Just have an open mind, try not to judge, and enjoy yourself. Nobody will give you a hard time there.

Be aware: you might see a lot of breasts and penises. LOL

Old 04-20-2016, 08:35 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
It will be quite an adventure. It is hot, dry and the alkali soil/dust is very hard on the skin.

See the website for excellent info:

Playa Living | Burning Man

Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM

7,686 posts, read 4,725,286 times
There's a Northern California company that rents out Roadtreks (compact Class B RVs). They are already quite expensive rentals, about $4,000 a week. If you take it to Burning Man, there's an additional $3,000 cleaning fee to get all the dust out of it.

I like my comforts, so that's pretty much all I needed to know.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times
I think I am just plain too old. Hanging around with a bunch of young nude or semi-nude women sounds great, but again I am just plain too old for that. After a great many years, I tried some legal marijuana. What a surprise. Way, way more potent that the stuff I smoked in the 60s. Again, I am just plain too old.

Do I really want to be around people who want to congregate in crowds, who want to strut their stuff and show off? I am just plain too old.

Years ago I drove within a few miles of the big Quartzite congregation and decided I would rather visit nearby beautiful areas instead of camping on the sand with tens of thousands of people.

A few years ago, I did spend a night or two at slab city. Now that Leonard Knight has passed on, I doubt I will return. I really don't want to live in the wild west and strap on a handgun. I am just plain too old for that.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,188,707 times
OP, I've been wanting to go to Burning Man too!

But from what I've seen and read it seems as though we should have gone at least 10 years ago - the event seems to have gotten away from the original intentions and become too expensive for an art event that is supposed to be free participation.

So what I've been thinking is that it would be natural for the artistic people who originally enjoyed it to create a new event in a new place which would be just as exciting but carrying on the original intent.

So, let's you and me keep eagle eyes out for the Next and New and jump in and participate as soon as we discover it, wherever and whatever it is.

Or maybe we should create our own next and new?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,783,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
OP, I've been wanting to go to Burning Man too!

But from what I've seen and read it seems as though we should have gone at least 10 years ago - the event seems to have gotten away from the original intentions and become too expensive for an art event that is supposed to be free participation.

So what I've been thinking is that it would be natural for the artistic people who originally enjoyed it to create a new event in a new place which would be just as exciting but carrying on the original intent.

So, let's you and me keep eagle eyes out for the Next and New and jump in and participate as soon as we discover it, wherever and whatever it is.

Or maybe we should create our own next and new?

It HAS changed a lot in recent years, from what I have heard...I went to one of the earlier ones, I'll never forget it, & glad I went. Now, it's a lot more expensive, crowded, & commercial...but I still think, if you can handle the $$$, & can go very prepared (esp. water, sun protection), you should do it.

BTW, my daughter used to go to Coachella, but stopped for the same reasons I cited about Burning Man...but a lot of ppl she knows still go & enjoy, so...

Old 04-20-2016, 05:04 PM

536 posts, read 632,312 times
I haven't been and won't go, as I don't like the heat and have a skin way sensitive to hot sun. (One reason I am trying to move from FL.)

A good friend has attended Burning Man, I think two years ago; he is my age and went with his whole family. His son is a professional musician, and the whole family are very creative. They all really enjoyed it and thought it enhanced their appreciation of creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or