U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:08 PM

635 posts, read 406,246 times

Advertisements

C'mon OP, take a walk on the 'wild side.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,543,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
. . .
A few years ago, I did spend a night or two at slab city. Now that Leonard Knight has passed on, I doubt I will return. I really don't want to live in the wild west and strap on a handgun. I am just plain too old for that.
Uh-oh! Handguns at Slab City????? I haven't heard mention of that, so I will have to research that. I have zero desire to be back in the 'wild west'!!!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,193,542 times
I went to one of the early ones and had a great time (but I'm a bleeding heart liberal). I don't think I would enjoy the current ones, but what's life without a little adventure and there's a lot to be said about getting out of your comfort zone.
If you want to go check out Green Tortoise Adventure, and make sure you have a strategy for getting a ticket. They sell out fast.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM

6,309 posts, read 4,757,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Uh-oh! Handguns at Slab City????? I haven't heard mention of that, so I will have to research that. I have zero desire to be back in the 'wild west'!!!
I take it you have not been to slab city?

Lots of folk are there because they do not fit in with normal society to put it politely. They like the absence of any police, law and order. They like their privacy and do not take to people trespassing on their space. Driving through in the day is no problem. When I stayed overnight, I did not have a warm and fuzzy feeling.

There is no water, no electricity, no sewers and no garbage service. People have been living there for many years. You can imagine what it looks like.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,872,210 times
Yes that or the EDC would be fun but I would feel out of place. I like electronic music so I would be in heaven.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,543,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I take it you have not been to slab city?

Lots of folk are there because they do not fit in with normal society to put it politely. They like the absence of any police, law and order. They like their privacy and do not take to people trespassing on their space. Driving through in the day is no problem. When I stayed overnight, I did not have a warm and fuzzy feeling.

There is no water, no electricity, no sewers and no garbage service. People have been living there for many years. You can imagine what it looks like.
I'd been to Salvation Mountain a couple of times, but not to Slab City. I've read blogs of folks who've visited and didn't feel out of place. Most recently one described an area there she referred to as the LoW (Loners on Wheels) area where she felt fine and she could interact with the Slab City residents as much or little as she and they wanted.

I have no problem respecting the wishes of people who are escaping the normal. And I couldn't care less how they or the place looks. I would, however, be reluctant to be anyplace where handguns were freely waved around, and it doesn't matter how conventional or not the area is. So I do need to keep an eye out for stuff like that.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 12,402,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Slab City? Good grief, I had no idea something like that existed!

Back to burning man I could see spending a day or even two but a whole wee without showers etc? Nah, last time I was that dirty for that long was Vietnam and I have no desire to go back there either.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:05 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,950,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
You should probably go. But be prepared to wonder, when it's all over, "What was I thinking?!?"

I went to Woodstock at age 22. I was too old, too responsible (a Republican even then), too straight (back when that meant straight-laced, not sexual preference).

It's fun to say I was there, but frankly, it wasn't fun to be there.
I went to Woodstock too (age 21). Even back then - I liked my "creature comforts" - so my reaction was pretty much the same as yours (sleeping in a muddy field is an overrated experience IMO ). Glad I packed a cooler with BBQ chicken before I went. Food was in short supply and was a great bartering currency .

That said - the OP may not share my sensibilities - and may enjoy Burning Man (I know I wouldn't). Perhaps he is thinking of renting an RV (don't recall seeing those at Woodstock - then again - I don't recall hardly anything about Woodstock ). Robyn

Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM

6,334 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Slab City? Good grief, I had no idea something like that existed!

Back to burning man I could see spending a day or even two but a whole wee without showers etc? Nah, last time I was that dirty for that long was Vietnam and I have no desire to go back there either.
Here is a video about Slab City - done by Vice tv.

Slab City | VICE | United States

Yeah - no thanks.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:31 AM

7,330 posts, read 4,176,914 times
It's your bucket list, and you can put anything on it you wish! Have fun at Burning Man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or