U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 AM

305 posts, read 197,677 times

Advertisements

Do it - or, a smaller less expensive alternative is Alchemy in Georgia ( second largest burn ).

You only live once - at your age, there's little harm in trying something new that's outside of your norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 11:24 AM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
You might enjoy Zozobra -- Old Man Gloom -- in Santa Fe. He is a giant 50 foot marionette with moving arms and head and filled with written notes of peoples' worries and gloomy problems. He goes through various contortions as he goes up in flames. He burns on or about Labor Day weekend and has been a tradition since initiated by the artist, Gustave Baumann in 1924. You don't have to sleep on the ground...unless you want to. The crowd will approach 50,000 for the event.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:02 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,701,816 times
I don't believe that you can just go, I thought there was a long waiting list for those wanting to attend.
There is a very good documentary about it, it was on Netflix "Spark: A Burning Man Story"
Netflix

bill

Old 04-21-2016, 01:01 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
If you want to go, GO! People of all ages there so that's no worry. It's an experience!

Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,623,113 times
I have a friend who went to her first Burning Man last year at the age of 67 and she loved it! She and her partner were trying to get tickets to go again this year. Another thought is to look into regional burns - smaller scale, same concept and much cheaper. I went to my first one last summer in Canada and am planning to go to one a little closer to home next month. My friend and I have discussed Burning Man, but we're still undecided if we want to make that investment when there are other options out there. It's not so much on my bucket list, but in terms of festivals, Mardi Gras is.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:32 PM

12,260 posts, read 12,507,549 times
At your age, take a travel trailer or RV. It's hard to run AC on a generator, so think about swapping the AC for a swamp cooler, which would work well in the desert and could be run from a small camp generator. Your own refrigerator, shower and toilet would be a big help. Take a bicycle with balloon tires to get around. Lock the wheels to the frame or somebody else will ride off on it as soon as you put it down. At that, plan on it being stolen at some point. An RV will have to park a ways from the middle of things.

Take plenty of cash for drugs. The experience doesn't count if you aren't stoned.

Last edited by Larry Caldwell; 04-21-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 02:23 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...Take plenty of cash for drugs. The experience doesn't count if you aren't stoned.
You mean you can't barter BBQ chicken for drugs there <LOL>? Robyn

Old 04-21-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
...It's not so much on my bucket list, but in terms of festivals, Mardi Gras is.
You might think twice about that. Last time we were in New Orleans was a week or two after Mardi Gras (spring flower season). And the downtown area still smelled like vomit and bleach. Totally unpleasant (I like to drink as much as the next guy - but don't care to surround myself with a bunch of people who are tossing their cookies on the street). Robyn

Old 04-21-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...Lock the wheels to the frame or somebody else will ride off on it as soon as you put it down. At that, plan on it being stolen at some point...
I don't know much about Burning Man - but I always had the impression that it was a festival for techies with money. If so - why would anyone steal your bicycle? Perhaps I got the wrong initial impression or the clientele has changed over the years.

BTW - just thinking about it - I would be very wary of buying drugs from strangers. Even pot. Especially as a senior. The stuff today is much stronger than what we had when we were young. And - if your body isn't up to it (for reasons you may not know in advance) - well who wants to wind up in an ER? FWIW - the most popular drug dealer we knew when we were in school was a student at Harvard Business School. He was probably more careful about sourcing and labeling his stuff than most drug companies . Robyn

Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You might think twice about that. Last time we were in New Orleans was a week or two after Mardi Gras (spring flower season). And the downtown area still smelled like vomit and bleach. Totally unpleasant (I like to drink as much as the next guy - but don't care to surround myself with a bunch of people who are tossing their cookies on the street). Robyn
But it isn't like that when you are there!!

Of course when I went I was YOUNG and in the Air Force. Stationed at Biloxi AFB.

I remember the last night we went was the Fat Tuesday - the final night. They shut down the streets at midnight. We had class at 0600. We made it back.

Now that I am OLD, I wouldn't mind being one of the revelers up in the balconies and watching the fun below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or