U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,511,755 times

Advertisements

Before renting, you can always ask tenants how the management is.

For example, when my friend was renting she learned that the tenants stayed until they either moved to a house or out of state because the management was so good. Her neighbors were a middle-aged couple who have now been there 15 years.

Last edited by Lillietta; 02-19-2008 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,252 times
I bought a condo 19 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. Of course, the price has gone way up since then - if you stay somewhere long enough, it WILL go up.

The tax break is one of the top reasons to buy. I get so much back every year because of real estate taxes and interest on the mortgage.

Where I live, in any case, (Boston area), it would be more expensive to rent than to stay where I am. So, I don't have much choice. I couldn't leave unless I bought another condo.

And, mine is in a Victorian house, in a neighborhood of all beautiful Victorians, near the water. It's not for everyone to own in a very old house - 112 years old. It takes a lot of work, but we have it in good shape now.

I'm getting older, though, and would like a more modern place with an elevator!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or