U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,254,936 times

Advertisements

I'm of an age where I've started taking the required minimum distribution (RMD) from my tax-sheltered funds. Almost all of my funds are in IRAs and are actively managed by an advisor who withdraws their quarterly fees from these funds. While I agreed to this arrangement when I first became their client, I've recently had some questions about it. My questions are:

- Since the advisor is receiving these funds directly from my IRA, do I count these disbursements toward my RMD?

- If the answer to the above question is yes, should I be counting these distributions as income and paying taxes on them?

I asked the advisor and she said no to both, but that doesn't seem logical.

Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 01:11 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,265,978 times
Yes, it would be no to both. Hope you really trust her. Her fees are reductions to your taxed earnings, so have nothing to do with the RMD amount, except it lowers the actual RMD, which is based on the value at the last day on the year. It can't count as an RMD to you because the while point of the RMD is for YOU to pay taxes, on the amount YOU deferred and have made earnings on. Her fees are not distributions, which by definition, is income to you.

If you were to pay her out of pocket, from your annual RMD amounts, then your total value in your deferred accounts would be higher, which means a higher RMD, higher taxes on that higher income, you then subtract the amiunt you can actually spend by paying her.

I hope her accounting is solid and you realize the true cost of her fees in a managed account.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:19 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,927,825 times
My gut reaction would have been the same as the original poster's - but Perryinva is correct.

OTOH - you have the option of paying the IRA fees with outside funds. Pays for the OP to do a little figuring to determine which makes the most sense for her:

How to Pay IRA Expenses

Robyn

Old 04-21-2016, 05:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,254,936 times
Thanks Perryinva and Robyn for your very helpful responses.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:10 PM

4,362 posts, read 3,698,498 times
If your RMD is more than you need I would pay the advisor from funds outside of the IRA. This will leave more money in the IRA to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement