Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

I've not read all the responses, but maybe I'm not repeating anyone. If you are interested in games, you can still learn to play bridge. Elderly people are probably too old, but you're young enough to learn to play. It's an engrossing game and will keep you occupied and mentally alert. Lessons are often available.

I also read, but it's nothing new. If a person isn't already a reader, they probably aren't going to start.

Are you interested in art? Learn how to paint. Grandma Moses was 80 when she began painting, so it's never too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:05 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thank you!

I thought about all of this last night and early this morning and decided to take Spanish rather than Italian. Although I am Italian I won't have much use for it in this area whereas Spanish is very prevalent in this area. I took 3 years of it in school (many years ago) and have tried self learning as I worked with Spanish speaking people. I am also going to check into Creative Writing classes at our college. I am going back to the gym - since I lost 15 pounds and had to buy a few new, smaller clothes I feel motivated. I still need to lose another 20 and I will be at my goal weight.

Some of the suggestions like open my own business won't work because I don't have enough income for that and these days my back will not allow me to bend for long times in a garden.

You nice people have really knocked a little sense into me. I was really feeling inside that I didn't have many years left so why bother getting involved in anything. But with the clean bill of health from the oncologist and the realization that my grandfather lived to be 97 and my mother 81 I can't just sit around and wait to die.

Thank you all! And I am doing a blue mani/pedi today (from a different thread).
You may or may not know this already, but if you are planning to attend college classes, you might be able to do so at no expense. Florida's public universities have a tuition waiver program applicable to folks over age 60. There are conditions, you must audit the classes ( you can't apply them towards a degree or take them for credit), and you can register for classes only after the registration period ( after those taking the classes for credit register) if there is still room- the instructions are provided on each school's website. But it may well be that these conditions would apply for those creative writing classes you mention, as well as a myriad of other classes you might enjoy.

Best of luck. Now you can be as busy as you want to be.

A Senior Citizen Guide for College: Florida

Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Is this just Florida, or do other states offer free tuition, too? That may help me decide on Florida...

I have no idea what your health insurance benefits may be, but some offer free gym memberships as part of your Medicare supplemental policy, too.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is this just Florida, or do other states offer free tuition, too? That may help me decide on Florida...

I have no idea what your health insurance benefits may be, but some offer free gym memberships as part of your Medicare supplemental policy, too.
Texas offers free tuition for 65 and over. But there has to be open seats in the class.

And we do have beaches.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When I first quit working 10 years ago I had my own house and a fabulous garden. Then my husband died a few years later and I had to move to a condo. Some serious health issues kept me busy but now I am doing well, 61 years young, living in SW Florida and I am so flippin' bored! I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

There's only so much cleaning you can do in a small place. I go to the pool a couple times a week and have lunch with my sister or mother once a week. Other than that I don't know what to do. I'm comfortable financially but not enough to go on vacations. I like kayaking but have nobody to do it with. I like to bike when it's not too hot but joining a bike club is not for me. I'm rather introverted and other than being bored I'm content being alone. I don't golf and some activities are off limits because of fibromyalgia and back issues.

I tried volunteering at the local animal shelter but I'm afraid of the bigger dogs (Rottweiler incident from a few years ago). The one thing I am considering is joining a gym. I've lost 15 lbs. and want to firm up.

What do you retired folks do with yourselves all day? Play cards? Power walk in the mall? Another summer is fast approaching and if I have to stay cooped up to avoid the heat and humidity one more year I will go crazy.

BTW before anyone says move somewhere else - I would like to but my whole family and support system is here.
Are you joking? I do more of the things I used to cram in after work and on weekends. I sleep more and am happy for that (was perenially sleep-deprived when working). I read books, much more than before. I sign up for classes if I feel like it, knowing that I don't have to give up doing something else, or at least not by as much, by adding something new. I love going for a hike, bike, kayak, or anything else while there is daylight. I am way over on the introvert scale and do these things either by myself or with my husband, very occasionally with others.

Some of what you posted sort of contradicts itself. You want to kayak but only if someone else goes with you, and you enjoy cycling but don't want to join a club.

A couple of ideas based on yours:

- Volunteer at the animal shelter and specify that you cannot deal with large or aggrssive dogs. I see there are ALWAYS cats and small dogs at shelters. Some places also have guinea pigs, birds, and other less-intimidating pets.
- Post a paddling partners or cycling partners ad in Craigslist. Don't expect magic, but it is worth trying and costs nothing. There are other people who dislike groups but enjoy one companion.
- Try something completely new and out of character for you, just because you are free to do so. You might not want to stay with it but these kinds of trials teach us a lot about ourselves.
- You implied that you enjoyed gardening. Can you create a small one at your condo? If not, is there a community garden you could take part in? We have lots of those kinds of things where I live.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:15 PM

245 posts, read 304,299 times
Default Excellent post - me, too. What to do?

I've been retired 15 years and I still don't feel quite "right" about it.
I wish I never left my job - didn't know things were going to be so weird. I'm like the old milk wagon horse who was replaced by a truck, hanging around my stall all day. Plus I miss the money - you know, the money just to buy something on a whim w/o having to say "Do I really need it?" and then putting it down. No.

'Tried taking classes, volunteering, sewing, crocheting, writing, surfing the net (too much.)
My only salvation is that I'm a daily hour long runner - that keeps me a bit sane.

I really like to drink wine and watch true crime tv shows if the truth be known!! Another truth is I like staying home - too much and I'm starting to just want to be with my husband all the time - get very nervous when I have to deal with almost everyone except one friend. I never was an extrovert but I know this current path is not a good one.

I have to monitor those activities closely (esp the wine!!)😍 but that's the best part!!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
"I really like to drink wine and watch true crime tv shows if the truth be known!!"

Oh, no; you, too? Actually I'm more about lying in bed with the cats eating JUNK FOOD and watching true crime dramas. Love it too much. That's why I think I'd better have a plan in place for retirement.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
otterhere[/b];43842446]"I really like to drink wine and watch true crime tv shows if the truth be known!!"

{quote="christianstad: Oh, no; you, too? Actually I'm more about lying in bed with the cats eating JUNK FOOD and watching true crime dramas. Love it too much. That's why I think I'd better have a plan in place for retirement.

I've been retired since 2010. I was so happy to read both of your posts......made me laugh a little. I'm kind of in same boat. Only I have just allowed myself the wine. Came from a drinking family with problems and have always been a bit afraid I'd get like that, too. But at 74, I don't see it happening. I have a neighbor downstairs that has wine every evening. I've decided to join the "club" and relax a bit.

So a lot of the time, it's just TV (hate game shows, judge judy shows, etc). Watching movies from the library (free!). Now and then go downstairs to neighbors and have wine with her or she comes up and has wine with me. We chat about what's going on in our complex (always something!) etc. Other times I'm on computer much too much. Sometimes meet another friend for coffee and 2 hour chat.

But most of the time I'm by myself and finding I quite like my own company. When I got divorced 33+ years ago, I never wanted to be alone.

Time does heal. At times too long.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Sounds like you need some hobbies! Have you tried joining a MeetUp group? Any activities at your condo? Some have rec centers and regular events. Go out with friends.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:36 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
You all are great - no wonder I spend so much time on these forums! For those who didn't read page 4 or is it page 5 - I will probably be working part time with my niece 8 minutes from my house. I made a friend at the pool that I met last year but never pursued it at the time. Things are looking a lot brighter. Thank you all so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement