Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 05:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Saw this article come up on newest Investment News email...
There is SSA form of notification you can complete and turn in to establish your intention to file/suspend under current rules before end of month
Gives the form #

Relief for looming Social Security deadline

Also discussion that one attorney ("expert" on suing SSA) thinks that people who fall into a narrow birthdate bracket MIGHT be eligible to file/suspend and (maybe) file restricted for spousal after April 30 because in past SSA allowed people to file applications 3-4 mo before they actually became eligible...so their eligibility would be established and benefits in train at first eligible date...
So sounds like some people might take leap and sue to test that practice if their birth dates make them eligible within those dates...
For some couples denial of this loophole means losing quite lot of additional SS benefits...
And since the provision was cobbled together so quickly the language in it might allow that interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Not sure why anyone would go through that online 435 process when they can just go ahead and file and suspend online. Here are the step-by-step instructions:

How to File and Suspend Social Security Benefits Online Before 4/29 Deadline | Investopedia
As stated on that site:
Quote:
Make sure you review, sign and submit your application. Print out your confirmation screen and hold onto it. It is your proof that you beat the deadline. As long as you submitted your application on or before April 29, it will be processed under the existing, more favorable, rules.
By "sign", it means you just type in your name, and then you submit it electronically. As it says, you'll be sent to a confirmation screen.

Like the article says, some of the questions seem tricky but she tells you exactly how to answer them.

I did it several weeks ago, and it took about 15 minutes. Instead of typing her recommended verbiage in the Remarks section, I simply typed in "I WISH TO SUSPEND MY BENEFITS". However, her wording certainly sounds more specific and official.

A SS rep called me at home a couple of weeks later to confirm the information, but that was just a formality.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times
biscuitmom,

Thank you for the information about doing it online. We are filling the form for my husband and do not know how to answer this question

Do you want benefits to start in 04/2016?

If we choose No (meaning to delay the benefit), the latest date under the No option is 8/2016

Yes No (Your other available options are 09/2015 to 08/2016.)

Should we choose Yes meaning to start the benefit on 04/2016 then state in the remark that we want to suspend?

Last edited by BellaDL; 04-27-2016 at 10:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times
I believe I found the answer to my question regarding what benefit starting date to choose in filing SS form but with the intention to suspend.

This article is quite helpful to provide more details in how to file for SS benefit on line

How and why to file for Social Security benefits online

Quote:
You request your benefits to begin when you turn 66. Later, in the “remarks” section near the end of the application, write: “I want to suspend my benefits.”

"I realize that it is possible to request an immediate start to retirement benefits and then to write 'I want to suspend my benefits' in the remarks section of the application, but this procedure is neither obvious nor intuitive,” I wrote on the public comments website. “Why not include information about the ability to file and suspend directly on the application so more people will learn about the option to earn delayed retirement credits?”
The advice to request benefits to begin when one turns 66 does not apply to my husband before he is older than 66. Based on the statement that "it is possible to request an immediate start to retirement benefits and the...", we will choose the earliest date choice of april 2016.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
BellaDL, yes your understanding and the information you quoted in the box is correct.

My understanding is that essentially the question is asking do you want your application filing date to be effective immediately or later. You want it effective now, before the deadline.

I'm 67 and when I filed, March 2016 (meaning immediately) was the earliest option so I selected that. The SS rep later confirmed that I had properly filed and then suspended my benefits.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
My husband did his file and suspend on line as well using info from that same link...

Some people are just gun shy about doing forms on computer via email or e-notice...

The other form can be printed, completed and taken to the local SS office and delivered--
Get a receipt for it with date delivered

I don't know why you couldn't do the application itself and hand deliver and get same result except that form might cover anyone who is not currently eligible but would be under the prior suggested process that encouraged people to actually file 3 mo before they were 65 -- that basically was for SSA's benefit because workers had a longer lead time to activate people's benefits...it helped their workload...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement