Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

So once retired, it seems that many people follow a loose "bucket strategy" with part of that including a large "cash" account that may be a couple years (or more) of expenses. This is not an emergency fund but just the most conservative bucket of several that make up the entirety of their retirement funds.

It seems relatively easy to fund this if you're currently maxing out your 401(k) and Roth accounts but I may never actually get to that point. So my question is, to achieve this objective I'll have to forego putting some money in a tax advantaged account in order to build it up?

That's tough to do! Or do you wait until you're actually retired and then make a large initial withdrawal that covers the first couple years, or whatever portion you want to have on hand to prevent needing to later have to take money out at a potentially bad time, marketwise? Of course THAT might be a bad time, itself.

All this is easy if you have more than enough money to cover it all, but if you don't, what's the smartest way to accomplish it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
We have always had a cash reserve of about 75% of one year's income. It has fluctuated over the years but really never went below 6 months income and if it did we always had income coming in so it was replenished. Having a cash reserve does not have to be too hard. Just pay yourself first and start it. Once you have the start it becomes easier. Oh an in retirement I think we will do 1.5 year's income. That is what our FA has in our plan.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:24 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
we set a side two years right from day 1 . while using the current year we start to fill up the 2nd years money in reserve .

with 2 years being 8% of the portfolio at the max and reducing as we spend down i don't really care about the low return on cash .

Old 05-02-2016, 10:27 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
I don't think there is any magic. To save, expenses need to be less than income.

Financial advisors recommend that every employee should build a cash reserve. Even very young employees need this to handle a job loss or unexpected expenses. If there are matching employer contributions, then the first savings should go to the 401k. Beyond that a cash account is next even if that means greatly cutting back on expenses. As we age the account should get bigger. I try to maintain 2 years in cash. By cash I mean highly liquid and highly safe investments including bank accounts, or CDs, or very short term bond funds. I am not strict about maintaining 2 years of cash. In fact this past year, my investment returns and overall investment portfolio dropped. I am spending cash to avoid selling equities when they are low. When I get down to a year or certainly 6 months of cash, I will take another hard look. If the markets are still down, I may still do some selling to avoid selling if they drop even more. If the markets go up, I will slowly rebuild my cash values.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:47 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
I have cash for the next coming year but I also have a large HELOC line.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Set up a separate bank account or mutual fund account. Have a part of your paycheck directly deposited into the account. Don't touch the account and the money will build up and you won't even notice it. Do that until you have what you need and then enroll in your 401k program.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Thanks guys....I put a total of 22% of my salary into my 401(k) and my Roth and have done so for years. My thoughts are that even so, I haven't maxed them out. So by putting CASH aside I am losing any tax benefit on that which makes it harder for me to want to do it! If you're already doing your max contributions then sure, you have no choice if you want to save MORE.

The question I have is whether it makes more sense to forego the tax benefit and put money into a regular account (NOT AS AN EMERGENCY FUND) as 2 years of expenses getting ready for when I retire. Or can I stop worrying about that now and once I retire just take out a couple years of expenses then from my 401(k)?

Old 05-02-2016, 04:48 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Remember when you do reach the point of withdrawing from your 401k, the taxes are due. For separate savings you pay taxes on the interest and/or cap gains each year. I am reaching the point where I need to start withdrawal from my qualified accounts and the amount of taxes I will pay will be substantial.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:35 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thanks guys....I put a total of 22% of my salary into my 401(k) and my Roth and have done so for years. My thoughts are that even so, I haven't maxed them out. So by putting CASH aside I am losing any tax benefit on that which makes it harder for me to want to do it! If you're already doing your max contributions then sure, you have no choice if you want to save MORE.

The question I have is whether it makes more sense to forego the tax benefit and put money into a regular account (NOT AS AN EMERGENCY FUND) as 2 years of expenses getting ready for when I retire. Or can I stop worrying about that now and once I retire just take out a couple years of expenses then from my 401(k)?
How close are you to retirement? Only have a cash bucket if you are ready to retire.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So once retired, it seems that many people follow a loose "bucket strategy" with part of that including a large "cash" account that may be a couple years (or more) of expenses. This is not an emergency fund but just the most conservative bucket of several that make up the entirety of their retirement funds.

It seems relatively easy to fund this if you're currently maxing out your 401(k) and Roth accounts but I may never actually get to that point. So my question is, to achieve this objective I'll have to forego putting some money in a tax advantaged account in order to build it up?

That's tough to do! Or do you wait until you're actually retired and then make a large initial withdrawal that covers the first couple years, or whatever portion you want to have on hand to prevent needing to later have to take money out at a potentially bad time, marketwise? Of course THAT might be a bad time, itself.

All this is easy if you have more than enough money to cover it all, but if you don't, what's the smartest way to accomplish it?
The purpose of the cash bucket is so you do not have to sell investments in a down market to cover your living expenses. No reason the cash can not be in the 401k or ROTH.

Thinking of 70 1/2 when you have to take a MRD out of some retirement accounts you would want at least some of that cash in the retirement account.

I would plan on starting to fund the cash bucket about 5 years out. First stop automatic investing of dividends. Direct new cash into the cash bucket. If you want more funds look to selling some investment with maybe a trailing stop loss. Depending on the market and your resources you can still be funding the cash bucket once you are retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement