Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

before i met my wife she was a widow . back in 2000 the broker she trusted at the bank loaded her up in tech funds . she lost 1/2 her money when the smoke cleared .

most folks really do not have a clue about this stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It depends on the cost of living where you live. 70k/yr. would not provide much enjoyment in the San Francisco Bay Area.
But you certainly can live on that income.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:49 AM

folks live on just ss here in nyc . would i ever want to ? not on your life . but we can live on anything if we have to

Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Not everybody is into to golf. My hobby(gardening) is dirt cheap and time consuming. I think there are many activities that are free. Hiking is one example. Bird watching is another. My husband likes to play guitar in his free time. It's very enjoyable for him and it's free.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM

we had a lot of free stuff to do when we had the house in pa . hiking and walking by the lake, but that grew stale just being their part time .

now most things cost us here in nyc . photography gear is quite expensive and so are places to go to keep finding new places and things to photograph .

a day in manhattan can run over 100 bucks just walking around , grabbing lunch and the train back and forth or parking and tolls .

we find with us time cost money and being retired sure gives us time .

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM

536 posts, read 844,941 times
Very interesting thread!

I think the state rankings have to be taken with a huge dollop of salt. It depends on what city or area within a state one chooses--and in a city what neighborhood, and what size of the house or apt. It's such a complex trade off when money is tight, as it will be for me--lower cost of living in an area, for instance, often means dependence on a car, at least in the places I am looking.

Even within a pricier town (I am looking at Portland, ME among other small cities), I might be lucky enough to find an inexpensive place. I don't need extras or tons of space--just a peaceful place to be.

I've had peace and quiet in NYC rentals (New Yorkers tend to be considerate about noise) and noisiness from my suburban neighbors.

I used to have a neighbor to the rear of me who, presumably when in his cups, would take his boom box out to his pool (2 feet from the fence between our suburban houses) and BLAST the annoying Tom Jones recording of "What's New Pussycat" at 3 AM - - over and over.

So money is definitely a factor in peace of mind, but there are so many others. Health, as others have mentioned, including the good health of loved ones. Peace and privacy, freedom from unsolicited Tom Jones concerts, frequent contact with family and friends. All those are important to me.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:53 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Very interesting thread!

I think the state rankings have to be taken with a huge dollop of salt. It depends on what city or area within a state one chooses--and in a city what neighborhood, and what size of the house or apt. It's such a complex trade off when money is tight, as it will be for me--lower cost of living in an area, for instance, often means dependence on a car, at least in the places I am looking. ........................
As for the part I bolded, I have posted that same thought over and over again when the question of ranking entire states comes up. And the larger the state, the truer your comment is. Even the geographically smallest state, Rhode Island, is bound to have differences within. (Although to be honest I don't know anything about Rhode Island).

Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
interesting that a goal would be to be a 'fun person'

also, I would be reluctant to not be humble if I had a wealth of resources....karma and all....

and yes, it is always startling & a bit stunning to be reminded of what the average income is of workers in the U.S......being $29,000 per year or whatever.....

I'm not understanding how being a fun person before money and an even more fun person after money translates into being a goal

I think you missed the point that your personality is enhanced by money either way. I'll try again.

If you're a rectum before you had money you could be an even bigger rectum after you have money.

If you were a fun person before money you could be an even more fun person after money.

Money is a tool used for both good and evil. Does this clarify my perspective a little better for you?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:09 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
[quote=matisse12;43954775]Pertaining to money beyond $72,000 as not producing additional happiness, and that the happiness level for most people in most all states is $69,000 to $75,000.....

in psychology and in life in the U.S., it has been found that too many choices can produce dissonance and cognitive conflict and unhappiness.....

and that life in the U.S. has so many choices that it leads people to be in mental conflict because they do not know which choices to make.....plus all the comparisons with others causes conflict & lack of peace of mind.

Analysis paralysis. I guess if I had Bill Gates money I could learn how to take the good with the bad.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:13 PM

not enough choices can lead to misery and disaster . i learned that first hand as a teen . it stayed with me for life as a motivating event to at least become successful enough as to always have choices in life . my mantra is money may not buy happiness but it sure buys choices in life .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement