U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:03 PM

155 posts, read 202,712 times

Advertisements

is there a list of the towns with older folks in that are not big cities. I want the average age of the resident above 55! I want something with average age 55. I do not want a town that is offering jobs to young people, but sedate, town with sidewalks that close up at night, with minimal crime (many old people do not participate in such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,861,663 times
Consider Clemson or Seneca SC

Old 05-04-2016, 04:35 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,100,358 times
City of Venice- the actual city fits your criteria and the average age 67.
City of Naples- average age 65.

Venice is comprised of both the "city" and a larger area called Venice but serviced by the County of Sarasota. The city is not that large and includes the island of Venice. This would be a nice area for you to investigate.

There is also a 55+ website with places to investigate- Google 55+ communities. I think posting the link it would be cut as the site may be competitive to this one.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM

14,068 posts, read 20,418,504 times
The problem with small towns is: lack of medical facilities.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,533,374 times
I googled towns with oldest populations and C-D forum had a map with 100 towns listed e.g., Green Valley, AZ and Sun City near Phoenix and a bunch of places in Florida, some near AZ/CA boundary, also some in the North Carolina area. Try googling.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,355,119 times
I live in a very small Florida town, actually not a real town because no charter, no elected officials, just county regulations. We have a hospital rated "A" whereas the larger towns nearby have hospitals rated "D" and "C". I just went to the ER and now have first hand experience and think we are very lucky to have it under 10 minutes from home.

OP--there are many, many small towns in Florida with older populations and are low crime. Homes are not expensive and neither are taxes. Hurricanes? Yes. Summer heat? Yes, that's what air-conditioning is for.

When we purchased our home we thought the front door was kinda strange, 2 glass-paned french doors, not very high security. We called the local sheriff and asked about security and they sent someone to walk around and tell us how to improve it. He couldn't find anything deficient. When we asked about the front door he said there were no break-ins to worry about and most crime was petty juvenile type. In 8 years he's been right (except no juvenile crimes). Yes of course there are is crime in the county but not near us. No, we are not in an HOA, been there and hate them.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 AM

30,722 posts, read 49,529,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
is there a list of the towns with older folks in that are not big cities. I want the average age of the resident above 55! I want something with average age 55. I do not want a town that is offering jobs to young people, but sedate, town with sidewalks that close up at night, with minimal crime (many old people do not participate in such things.
My state [Maine] has a median age of 43.5 which is not far behind your desired 55.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM

14,018 posts, read 7,471,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My state [Maine] has a median age of 43.5 which is not far behind your desired 55.

Yep. Northern New England has the 3 oldest median age states in the country. West Virginia is #4.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:04 PM

783 posts, read 1,208,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Consider Clemson or Seneca SC
Good choices. I'd also suggest nearby Anderson, SC. Population is right at or slightly over 25k, plus you have a decent hospital, plenty of restaurants and shopping (local and chain), easy interstate access, etc. Lots of folks age 55+ and retirees there.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:45 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,873,820 times
It sounds like you are trying to 'back into' the 'old west, movie-depicted' advantages you expect from a small town 'on the prairie'. For one thing, an average age above 55 is probably a 55+ community, not a town, since a "town" would still offer town-related services and amenities provided to the 55+ group by younger people.

There are a ton of small, crossroad farm towns across the U.S. - Any state statistical abstract will give you the name, location and demographics. But, it might be worthwhile to compile a specific list of 10-12 things you want or are expecting from a town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement