Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No need to wonder why governments from cities to states are getting rid of pensions. These kinds of benefits are ridiculous. It's not like government employees are underpaid as a whole. I just don't think they are. Every holiday off (depending on the position), good pay and benefits and good pensions. Most jobs don't need to offer all that to find employees.

I often hear people say they could make more in the private sector and for some that is true. But I'm willing to bet that for the average government job (if there is such a thing), the person would not make more. Private sector employers aren't just handing out high paying jobs. Some government employees might get a rude awakening when it comes to salaries.

Out here in the real world many people don't have the upper hand when negotiating. Hard to have that when there's always someone who'll do your job for less.

Just my opinion.
Very, very, very few, if any are getting rid of pensions. As a former administrator of a public sector pension for many years and one who is on top of the developments, I can say that with certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Very, very, very few, if any are getting rid of pensions. As a former administrator of a public sector pension for many years and one who is on top of the developments, I can say that with certainty.

They're not getting rid of pensions, they're switching from defined benefit to defined contribution. Alaska did that about 10 years ago.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:05 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
My company also froze our pension and switched to a defined contribution plan. I don't consider that a pension. So in my mind yes, they got rid of the pension. We didn't lose what pension benefit we already had coming -- but froze it, got rid of it, switched from it….whatever….going forward, it's not what we had before.

It may be my own limited definition. But to me a pension is a defined benefit plan. A defined contribution plan while nice to have, to me, is just a second 401K, funded by the company, instead of directly from my salary.

Last edited by selhars; 05-08-2016 at 01:28 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 04:50 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My company also froze our pension and switched to a defined contribution plan. I don't consider that a pension. So in my mind yes, they got rid of the pension. We didn't lose what pension benefit we already had coming -- but froze it, got rid of it, switched from it….whatever….going forward, it's not what we had before.

It may be my own limited definition. But to me a pension is a defined benefit plan. A defined contribution plan while nice to have, to me, is just a second 401K, funded by the company, instead of directly from my salary.
A lot of company's pension plans used years of service to determine the annuity payment. Your frozen pension probably stopped counting those years at that point. So you will have a factored payment or a lump sum depending on what you choose. I might be wrong and there is a third factor I haven't considered yet but I think that is a good bet. Going forward I do hope you took advantage of that change and invested in the company plan.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife and I are both California state retirees. I elected to take a cut in the monthly amount of my pension to provide full survivor benefits to my wife in the event that I precede her in death. Should that occur, she will receive an amount each month equal to what I receive, plus a yearly COLA, in addition to her full monthly pension amount and COLAs. There is no cap and the benefits are lifelong. We also receive Cadillac medical and prescription coverage for which we pay no premiums and the benefits also reimburse us for the monthly Medicare Part B premium through our pensions.

I'd say our pension benefits are a large boon. They are a significant part of what made it possible for us to retire and are not too good to be true. They are a big part of why we both chose careers in state service which also included reasonable pay and excellent benefits while working as well as the opportunity to do some good for the people of the state.

Why did you have to ask? The answer should be evident.
Agreed. The bulk of my retirement income is from my New York State pension.

In New York, you have several choices, including one in which your beneficiary receives your pension for his/her life. I believe that may only apply to spouses but I'm not sure. You can also choose other options for having your benefits continue for specified time periods (5 or 10 years) after your demise.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:39 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They're not getting rid of pensions, they're switching from defined benefit to defined contribution. Alaska did that about 10 years ago.

Who besides Alaska has made the switch?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Going forward I do hope you took advantage of that change and invested in the company plan.
We'll all have the pension payment we've "earned already" that's in the frozen plan. The company switched to it putting -- depending on years of service at the time the pension was frozen -- 5 - 8% of an employee's salary in the person's DC account (separate from -- but the same options as -- our 401k. The company used to also match some of our 401K contributions. That's went by the wayside as well. So now my contributions aren't matched.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:34 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
DH has a private pension from his company and his division was part of a buyout with his current company. They dropped the pension and went to only 401k's, although he was had both for a while in his original company. DH's pension was frozen, as in no more was contributed but he had 25 years into it and it has continued to grow. At the time of the final rollover to the newer company he had an option to get a lump sum from the pension, but he decided to stay with the pension plan as its well funded and managed, although the plan is being managed by another company now.
Same with me. I worked for accompany that had a pension then they did away with those and went to 403(b). When I retire I can choose either a lump sump from the pension plan or monthly payments. I don't even know how much of a lump sum might be offered. Someone I know got about $100,000, but she had more years with the company than I did.

They have been sending me emails asking if I want to roll over what I have in the pension into my 403(b) or another IRA. I don't think I want to...

Old 05-08-2016, 11:50 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
I don't know that I'd call it a "boon", because it was planned for, anticipated and earned through many years of federal, state and military service. But it's definitely a very large part of our retirement. My husband is drawing his military and federal (CSRS) pension now. If I work 6 more years in my current position, I'll have a state pension at age 65. Add in SS for both of us and my 401k savings, and we'll be in good shape.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also (and I may be wrong), as a California state employee aren't you excluded from Social Security benefits?
NO ONE is "excluded" from Social Security benefits IF they made the proper contributions. State employees with outside employment, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement