Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,636,826 times

Advertisements

Just a note to be aware of:

Many pay little attention to SS but if you don't set up an account some may do it.

If you have no use for the account putting a block on it will prevent ID theft.

First you get a letter thanking you for doing an account. Then a thank you for your direct deposit change.

A block will prevent this but even you cant see your info without going to an office.

hope it helps some people as the Anthem breach with numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 AM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
It has became popular among people living in the continental USA to open an SS account for their children soon after birth. It is not as common among US citizens living in the US territories.

I have had many co-workers [while serving in the US Navy] who did not have an SS account. I have also worked with men who had revoked their SS accounts.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:31 AM

16,095 posts, read 10,253,987 times
Speaking of putting a block on your SS account have you folks blocked your credit? It's another way of identity theft protection. I have no plans on getting another credit card or mortgage so I contacted Equifax and froze my credit. This prevents anyone from stealing your identity and opening credit against your name. If you do find the need to unfreeze it you simply contact them again.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM

4,522 posts, read 3,715,619 times
A credit freeze effectively blocks opening an SS account. Social security uses Experian as part of their verification process; an online SS account cannot be opened with your Experian credit frozen. Without being able to access Experian while trying to open an online account, a message pops up with a number to call SS. They also are not able to open an account on the phone with the Experian account frozen either. It takes doing a temporary unfreeze of your account to set up an SS account. I've never been to an SS office in person, so I don't know if they can get around credit freezes.

I learned all this when I had frozen my credit after I was involved in the Anthem data breach. Unfreezing credit accounts isn't as simple as contacting them. I have a password that if I forget is not easy to recover and it's a $10 fee for each of the credit agencies to unfreeze accounts each and every time. I've only needed it for SS and I called to see which one they used. The unfreeze can be lifted permanently or for a period of time you specify.

I still keep my credit frozen, it's a rare inconvenience but worth it to me.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-07-2016 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 02:48 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,804,740 times
I just checked mine. They STILL don't have my earnings for last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement