U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times

Advertisements

I've run into a bit of a stretch of hard luck over the past week. Last Saturday, I felt fair, but a little worn down, and was out in the rain to early vote here in Indiana, and was soaking wet by the time I got in the courthouse. Sunday, the weather was better, so I went to watch a baseball game and ended up drinking too much with some of my 60+ friends here. By Monday, I felt like death and hell warmed over. I toughed it out, but Tuesday I had this lump under my arm flare back up that had been there off and on for a few months. Turns out that lump was staph that I had probably been fighting since December, with limited success.

That ended up being cut out at an urgent care, along with having a sinus infection, bronchitis, and an inner ear infection. I'm on some fairly strong antibiotics and feel considerably better, but still feel weak and low energy compared to how I normally am. I walked about 3 miles today and did a couple hours worth of cleaning.

Is sickness getting you down more than it did? Are you healing as well, or do you notice that you get over things much slower as you age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:00 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,943,481 times
Somewhat slower, not a lot slower. (72)

Old 05-07-2016, 10:21 PM

4,376 posts, read 2,426,594 times
I just do the best I can with what I have got. I am thankful that I don't have to go to work. I am 82.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 PM

5,415 posts, read 3,386,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Is sickness getting you down more than it did? Are you healing as well, or do you notice that you get over things much slower as you age?
Time-traveling to the future again, eh?

My question to you is: Why aren't you resting? At any age, you need to get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal. Then work back up to your former level of activity gradually.

At 61, I had back surgery. It took me about three weeks to get any significant strength back but there was no stamina. I've been working with a trainer 3 times a week for the last six months and finally getting some of my old endurance back. It takes time.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 AM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Your body slowly breaks down as you age. It's a matter of life, you learn to adjust.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:11 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,384,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've run into a bit of a stretch of hard luck over the past week. Last Saturday, I felt fair, but a little worn down, and was out in the rain to early vote here in Indiana, and was soaking wet by the time I got in the courthouse. Sunday, the weather was better, so I went to watch a baseball game and ended up drinking too much with some of my 60+ friends here. By Monday, I felt like death and hell warmed over. I toughed it out, but Tuesday I had this lump under my arm flare back up that had been there off and on for a few months. Turns out that lump was staph that I had probably been fighting since December, with limited success.

That ended up being cut out at an urgent care, along with having a sinus infection, bronchitis, and an inner ear infection. I'm on some fairly strong antibiotics and feel considerably better, but still feel weak and low energy compared to how I normally am. I walked about 3 miles today and did a couple hours worth of cleaning.

Antibiotics have that effect on me. They make me feel weak and tired, almost as if I have the flu, and it takes a couple of weeks after finishing the antibiotics for me to feel back to normal again.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:12 AM

4,327 posts, read 4,350,986 times
As you get older it takes more time to heal. So the best strategy: Don't hurt yourself.

I've learned to hire people to do some things that I used to do for myself. For example, I no longer will get on a ladder to climb up on the roof. I will no longer try to lift things that weigh more than about 50 lbs. I now hire the fence guy to replace broken posts; he has a twenty something helper who can easily lift the concrete chunks from the hole.

The most common pain among old people is back pain.

To prevent that, I joined the YMCA and do exercises to strengthen back muscles.

I had kept my old cars for 18 years; I'd do all my own maintenance and all repairs. No more.

We bought 2 new cars with warranties before I retired. Never again will I attempt to replace an intake manifold gasket that requires bending over the engine and lifting heavy parts. If the car needs repairs, I'll take it in for warranty work. If the cars start needing too many repairs, I'll get a new car.

The best Health Plan is the Redneck Plan: Don't get Sick

Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,349,976 times
In my late 40's I started to notice that my colds lasted longer and I now cough for a few weeks following the cold or flu. A few years ago I got the flu and a sinus infection set in very quickly and ruptured my ear drum which had never happened before. There was a nasty flu going around my office a couple of months ago. The younger co-workers took a few days off or were only sick for the weekend while I was sick for more than a week (I'm now 60 and I always get flu shots early in the season). Although my colds and flus have increased in severity and duration, fortunately the frequency has not increased and this was my first cold/flu in 3 years.

I fractured my wrist in my late 40's and it took 2 weeks longer to get the cast off than expected and seemed like forever to really heal. I've had some skin cancers removed from my lower legs and these also take a long time to heal - could not exercise for 6 weeks or so the last time as to not open the wound. If my cat bites me, even a very tiny bite, I have to go to Urgent Care and get antibiotics within 24 hours - I don't remember cat bites getting infected when I was younger. I have not yet had any serious illnesses but am not looking forward to it.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 05-08-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 10:00 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,062,113 times
Serious you need to get some chicken soup and put yourself to bed. Rest is so curative at any age.

At my age (65) I am more to the prevention and healthy food rest exercise than I am the healing. Best to avoid the problem than heal from it if at all possible

Hope you feel better soon

Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 AM

9,282 posts, read 4,736,816 times
I rarely get sick. I have seriously been ill once in the last 10-20 years that I had to take antibiotics. But I broke my leg once and still getting a little bit of stiffness there. I need to stretch more. But I'm still relatively young, still cheerful, maybe it's my attitude. I take plenty of vitamin D when the weather is bad, I get a little depressed, wish I was living in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement