Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM

4,343 posts, read 4,715,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I haven't posted a bad review of the outfit on Facebook or Google or Yelp or elsewhere. Haven't even mentioned the name of the outfit. I just posted an inquiry on what I believe is a somewhat intimate chat board.

Now that you mention it - what do you think it's worth for a company to avoid negative online publicity these days - which I can certainly deliver if I care to? Robyn
Where did I mention anything about naming the company? I didn't. But putting your entire story out onto the internet would be a defense attorney's dream.

And, in a state where you almost have to kill a cyclist in a car (drivers found negligent) for the cyclist to be made whole, I'd give your burn medical costs only.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,473,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Where did I mention anything about naming the company? I didn't. But putting your entire story out onto the internet would be a defense attorney's dream.

And, in a state where you almost have to kill a cyclist in a car (drivers found negligent) for the cyclist to be made whole, I'd give your burn medical costs only.
A friend of ours - well her husband was training for a triathlon - and he get killed when training. A car hit him and killed him. When he was on his bicycle. There was a total of $2 million in policy/UM limits - and she got policy limits.

Might you want to rethink settlements here in Florida? Robyn

Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,126,113 times
Quote:

I am - knock wood - very lucky not to have had breast cancer. It's kind of a big deal cause here where I live. When it comes to this (and other things as well):

Breast Cancer Marathon |

Robyn
Can you explain? Don't follow why your locale is associated with breast cancer...

Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,078,944 times
Medical costs and $3k tops. You chose a glass shop instead of a lamp shop. You are just as responsible for the results UNLESS you specified to the glass shop the temperature conditions of the lamp. The punative is to deter the glass shop from ever taking on lamp repairs, for which they are not qualified. Most glass shops would iust give you the glass and say install it yourself, We are Not Liable for its use. All the ones around here operate that way. Accidents happen and $100k because you are too cheap to toss an old light that you knew gets really hot is insane. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,277,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Medical costs and $3k tops. You chose a glass shop instead of a lamp shop. You are just as responsible for the results UNLESS you specified to the glass shop the temperature conditions of the lamp. The punative is to deter the glass shop from ever taking on lamp repairs, for which they are not qualified. Most glass shops would iust give you the glass and say install it yourself, We are Not Liable for its use. All the ones around here operate that way. Accidents happen and $100k because you are too cheap to toss an old light that you knew gets really hot is insane. Take responsibility for your own actions.
This is a very odd reply. You seem to impute to the customer an equal obligation that an experienced glass company has to understand the limitations of a potentially dangerous product. I call glass a "dangerous product" because of its propensity to shatter and inflict injury. Surely, I am not held to the same level of technical expertise that someone who deals in sophisticated product line is. Why on earth would any customer know what temperature a lamp burns at? One one would at least think that a glass company would be concerned about this themselves and ask questions about the lamp or examine it carefully if this were a potential problem.

Honestly, someone who doesn't understand the most elementary things about their product ought to do the rest of us a favor and go into some other occupation.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 4,715,404 times
Quote:
A friend of ours - well her husband was training for a triathlon - and he get killed when training. A car hit him and killed him. When he was on his bicycle. There was a total of $2 million in policy/UM limits - and she got policy limits.

Might you want to rethink settlements here in Florida? Robyn

No I don't want to. I know what the numbers are. Sorry about your friend.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,078,944 times
Yes, I do. Glass has been around for ages. We are not talking about an inexperienced child here, but an experienced adult. Glass can break, ANY glass, and present a danger. A glass shop is not a lamp repair facility. If the owner of the product has used it for any length of time, they know how dangerously hot a halogen lamp gets, as would a lamp repair facility. Why would a glass shop? Do they advertise or claim expertise in lamp repairs? If you go to Home Depot and buy a weed wacker replacement line based on the comment from an hourly sales associate, that it's the right one, then injure youself using it because it slices up your leg, would you try to sue Home Depot for supplying the wrong line? Of course not. Liability should be a two way street, where ignorance is not an excuse and ownership bears some responsibility. Ignorance of the law is never a valid reason, yet acknowledging a known dangerous physical condition of a product you use, apparently is.

On a diffetent note, most anyone with enough sense would not position a blazing hot light anywhere near where it could injure them. Again, common sense responsibility. Also, it makes a lot more safety and energy sense to replace all halogen bulbs that are indoors with their cool running LED replacement. Most every halogen form factor has an LED replacement that consumes far far less energy and no heat at all.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do. Glass has been around for ages. We are not talking about an inexperienced child here, but an experienced adult. Glass can break, ANY glass, and present a danger. A glass shop is not a lamp repair facility. If the owner of the product has used it for any length of time, they know how dangerously hot a halogen lamp gets, as would a lamp repair facility. Why would a glass shop? Do they advertise or claim expertise in lamp repairs? If you go to Home Depot and buy a weed wacker replacement line based on the comment from an hourly sales associate, that it's the right one, then injure youself using it because it slices up your leg, would you try to sue Home Depot for supplying the wrong line? Of course not. Liability should be a two way street, where ignorance is not an excuse and ownership bears some responsibility. Ignorance of the law is never a valid reason, yet acknowledging a known dangerous physical condition of a product you use, apparently is.

On a diffetent note, most anyone with enough sense would not position a blazing hot light anywhere near where it could injure them. Again, common sense responsibility. Also, it makes a lot more safety and energy sense to replace all halogen bulbs that are indoors with their cool running LED replacement. Most every halogen form factor has an LED replacement that consumes far far less energy and no heat at all.
Like I said - I had used this lamp for 30 years without issue. I never noticed that it was blazingly hot. Then again - I didn't touch the light bulb. Just like I don't touch any light bulb. Or - for what matter - a hot stove top.

Note that I am not cheap - not just trying to save a buck. I have a lot of expensive and now very valuable vintage lighting in my house. Bought new. 20-30-40 years ago. (Many people have lighting fixtures with older technology than this particular lamp). But I would never use anything I thought or anyone told me was dangerous. We did invest close to $2k in LED lighting in our "ordinary" house fixtures over the last 2 years or so. So we wouldn't have to get on ladders to replace burnt out bulbs (saving maybe $20/month on electric costs was an extra bonus - although it doesn't make make a dime's worth of difference in our power bills here in Florida in August).

I think the proof of the pudding is that corporate here told all its store locations never to do another job like mine. That is not usually admissible evidence - but it might be if someone ever attempted to mount a defense like the one you propose (there are always exceptions to various evidence rules). Robyn

Old 05-18-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
...Honestly, someone who doesn't understand the most elementary things about their product ought to do the rest of us a favor and go into some other occupation.
Amen. There is so much talk here on the Retirement Forum of things like retirement planning. What if someone went to a "retirement planner" - and the planner told them to do X,Y,Z and it turned out to be a disaster. And then the planner told them - I don't know doodle - and you should have known better than to trust me. Pretty lousy defense IMO. Robyn

Old 05-20-2016, 12:05 PM

106,529 posts, read 108,647,625 times
Quote:

led's throw off a lot of heat . they just have lots of heat sinking that absorb the heat away from the glass . but smaller wattage lamps in led do not have as a great an amount of heat sinking and the glass can run as high as 120-140 degrees on a compact led . the higher wattage's like 12 and 13 watt run cooler on the glass because they are bigger and have more heat sinking .

quite a few brands of led are marked not for use in enclosed fixtures because of their heat . in fact it is a good idea not use any of them in enclosed fixtures because of the heat .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.