Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM

828 posts, read 772,946 times

Advertisements

Playboy Mansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 5,175 times
We aren't retired yet, but have been learning so much from everyone on this site. In preparation we built a gorgeous 1 1/2 story on 10 acres (with existing barn) and added an in ground pool. It is wonderful and we are 10 minutes outside of a small town. Search House plan 5219 for the drawings minus the outside fireplace. We love it, but it was a lot of work.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:11 PM

496 posts, read 411,474 times
Vintage trailer (think Lucille Ball in The Long,Long Trailer) with a cute patio and minimal yard. Within walking distance of a library would be a huge plus. This should all be located in the southwest.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:29 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
The long, long Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucb9O8q1eOc

Old 05-20-2016, 05:47 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is a great thread. My wife and I want to leave TX and want to move to a retirement community in three years. I am much younger than she: 39, and she is 52. We are both very quiet people and think that is the best option for us. We don't need any sort of living assistance but would like to get away from loud noises, the party scene, plus the school taxes in our area are ridiculous. We're not sure about pet rules for these communities as our dogs are important to us. And is my age going to be a problem? Do both spouses have to be 55?
Check out the pets regulations in 55+ communities CAREFULLY. We are going to put our farm up for sale this August, here in NY, and move to Florida. We have 2 house cats(1 old, 1 young) and 6 dogs- four of which are seniors (8 1/2 to 14). We looked at the regulations of some of these communities (on line at their websites) in the areas we were interested in and NOT ONE allowed "many" pets. Some were "inside cats only", "two pets only", "1 dog under 40# only", No Pets, etc. Same with condo/ townhouse complexes, villa complexes, mobile home parks, "housing communities", etc. We were hoping to get into something that would have outside care done, and that had ppl our age, and a community center. Guess that won't happen. All our dogs were rescues and abused (beaten, has 3 legs, 1 eye, etc) so giving them up is NOT an option. So we will be looking into a small house instead.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Check out the pets regulations in 55+ communities CAREFULLY. We are going to put our farm up for sale this August, here in NY, and move to Florida. We have 2 house cats(1 old, 1 young) and 6 dogs- four of which are seniors (8 1/2 to 14). We looked at the regulations of some of these communities (on line at their websites) in the areas we were interested in and NOT ONE allowed "many" pets. Some were "inside cats only", "two pets only", "1 dog under 40# only", No Pets, etc. Same with condo/ townhouse complexes, villa complexes, mobile home parks, "housing communities", etc. We were hoping to get into something that would have outside care done, and that had ppl our age, and a community center. Guess that won't happen. All our dogs were rescues and abused (beaten, has 3 legs, 1 eye, etc) so giving them up is NOT an option. So we will be looking into a small house instead.
Forgot to tell you- only 1 spouse needs to be 55. Some will allow teen children, some don't, some will allow young children staying extended periods, some won't (think of a grandchildren staying for the summer). There are MANY rules and regulations and you MUST check them carefully. If any of them look and sound good< I would check online for reviews of the place and then GO THERE and walk around and talk to the ppl who live there- telling them that you are thinking of buying and would like to know about the area and community.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Vintage trailer (think Lucille Ball in The Long,Long Trailer) with a cute patio and minimal yard. Within walking distance of a library would be a huge plus. This should all be located in the southwest.
That's what I wanted but hubbie almost died with the idea, so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:22 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Note that you're not only talking about particular communities when it comes to numbers of pets. Our entire county has a limit of 5 household pets in areas that are zoned residential (and other counties have similar restrictions):

FAQs

You'll find similar ordinances in other parts of the US as well:

https://www.animallaw.info/article/o...pal-ordinances

If you want to keep 8 pets where I live - you'll need to find a property that is zoned rural/agricultural/similar. Robyn

Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 PM

7,449 posts, read 4,678,987 times
I already have this in the Philippines, 10 years ago when high-rise residentials are just starting to boom, I bought a unit on a 40-story building inside the country's main business district. I have morning sun and could catch the sunrise from my balcony. I could see below the business people rush to get to their work. In the afternoon, I would enjoy the action of people and cars lining up to exit the area while I enjoy sipping my Chateaux Margaux 1905 from my balcony and marveling at the sight of the beautiful skyscraper city skyline. The sun is on the opposite side so it's cool on my side in the afternoon and could really enjoy the twilight.

Everything I need is in the building -- restaurants, gym, pool at the top of the building, spa/sauna, convenience stores, laundry, internet cafes, etc. And since it is in midst of the Business area, all the major retail outlets, dining, theaters and what have you are just around the corner.

My favorite pastime is just walking around the city. I especially am fond of the trek to Greenbelt and being greeted by the oasis of lush greeneries and beautiful landscape. All this without a ride from my condo unit. Just walk.

An hour away ride is the Manila Yacht Club where you can rent boats and enjoy the coast. Two to three hours away and you have a lot of selections of beaches.

View from my balcony.

City trekking -- my favorite exercise (about 2 mile walk from my building to Greenbelt)

Old 05-21-2016, 01:08 PM

7,449 posts, read 4,678,987 times
Nice to find this video of a guy just walking around my neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx5_--Q4rnY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement