Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times

Advertisements

I am retired but may be working very part-time so its the work clothes (office type) I mainly wonder about. Guess I'll keep a few dressier basics and add what I need to when we get resituated. I must be making progress though because I have a large amount of coat hangers left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 02:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
In addition to retiring, we are getting ready to move to a new state with a exactly what I'll be doing workwise after we resettle so not sure how much of the work type clothing and shoes to keep. Any advice?

Workwise? You're not ready to retire. Relax. Save it for another day.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you will notice those "high tech" wicking type fabrics are typically just a way of describing standard poly/cotton blends. For years anything with polyester was supposed to be cheap. We needed to wear 100% cotton. That was often supposed to be some sort of exotic material such as "Egyptian" cotton. 100% cotton is a killer especially in the extremely cold weather. It also works poorly in the heat. I do lots of hiking in the desert Southwest. For those extremes I usually wear 100% synthetic and also typically long sleeve shirts. I have been able to accumulate a collection by buying on sales. As I get older I find I have even less use for these. Regardless of clothing I cannot tolerate 90+ degrees and merciless blazing sunshine.

I also do not need to worry about your golf club or the yacht club down my street. I really avoid places that deserve the epithet, snooty. I have found alternatives that better fit my interests.
I find certain brands/blends work better for me than others. Don't know the exact blends. Do know the brands. And the brands vary between me and my husband.

There is nothing snooty about not dressing like a slob. Which - unfortunately - many men - especially a lot of senior men - seem to do these days. Some can't seem to get out of their underwear a lot of the time. My husband and I dress in old sloppy clothes when we do some things - like gardening. But we both look better when we get a little dressed up - with nice golf clothing to play golf - or a lot dressed up when we visit big cities.

And - IIRC (although I might be confusing you with someone else) - you live in southern Arizona. Which is an odd place to live if you can't tolerate high heat. Robyn

Old 05-19-2016, 04:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I don't play golf and my former work place was basically Friday casual five days a week. I did have a few ties for court. Haven't owned a sport coat in 10 years-gotta love small town USA!

Kept two pairs of dress shoes and a tie, just in case. Got rid of of a number of shirts and work pants. For church, I wear nice jeans and shirt, unless I am playing music. Paired down to two nice pants, three pairs of jeans, a small up to date collection of collared shirts. Heavy on outdoors technical stuff, which also looks fine in town. And no, cotton blends are not technical to agree with a previous poster.

Bottom line, got rid of a third of my clothes when I retired.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:39 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There is nothing snooty about not dressing like a slob. ....

And - IIRC (although I might be confusing you with someone else) - you live in southern Arizona. Which is an odd place to live if you can't tolerate high heat. Robyn
Your comment comes pretty close to what I would indeed consider snooty. At this point I don't even have any clothes I would consider "slob" clothes. I have a hard time finding something to wear when panting the house or staining the deck.

Years ago I downsized, then sold the house, retired and moved into a small RV. I decided there was no way I wanted to look like a slob because I was "camping" and living outdoors a lot. I got rid of all my old clothing. I got rid of anything that looked old or out of date or that I did not like. I replaced most of my everyday garb with functional clothing including good raingear, hot weather and cold weather gear and the most comfortable footwear I could find. I kept one pair of dress shoes, one simple blue blazer, a pair of casual dress pants, one red tie for weddings and one black tie for funerals. So far in over 5 years, I only wore the getup once for a wedding.

I don't live in southern Arizona. I live on Long Island. I am not in the top 0.1% or even the top 1% so I don't need to worry about the country clubs, yacht clubs, and $100-200 a person dinners. A lot of that stuff seems to be for those who are trying to show off, network and get ahead in business. In addition to being retired I don't fit in at all. I even have my old wife instead of one of those young blond trophy wives.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:11 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Yeah, "dressing like a slob" is really a personal judgement. I have no doubt there are lots of folks who think I dress "like a slob". They've even been so rude as to say so.

I think to myself it's that, unlivability is never fashionable, and you're unlivably overdressed. I'm referring to, for example, a summer day in downtown Chicago that's mid 90's in both temp and humidity. The formal work clothes might work if I'm spending my day in the (air-conditioned) office. But I'm not.

I don't criticize your choices, and if you criticize mine then, <massive shrug>.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
For the snooty golf club.

$4.02 blend knit shirt with collar: Jerzees J300 5.6 oz. Heavyweight Blend

Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That's a lot of golf shirts! My husband doesn't have anywhere near as many. Nor do I. Even though we play golf probably 50+ times a year. Note that if we only played when the temperature was between 68 and 73 degrees - we might play once a year - if that .

BTW - perhaps you limit your play because those old style heavy knit golf shirts are far from state of the art today. There are all kinds of new fabrics that are designed to help keep you cool when it's warm ---> hot. Better to have 2-3 of these shirts than a dozen rejects culled from the bargain bin at the end of the season.

Cutter & Buck 'Championship' Classic Fit DryTec Golf Polo (Online Only) | Nordstrom

Robyn

Oh I'm very familiar with the new fabrics, I probably have 20 of those too. But as I said these heavy weight shirts happened to be the ones on sale and as MightyQueen said "such a deal!".

I find it funny that growing up cotton was king and people made fun of those who wore polyester. How the man made are the fabric of choice.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yeah, "dressing like a slob" is really a personal judgement. I have no doubt there are lots of folks who think I dress "like a slob". They've even been so rude as to say so.

I think to myself it's that, unlivability is never fashionable, and you're unlivably overdressed. I'm referring to, for example, a summer day in downtown Chicago that's mid 90's in both temp and humidity. The formal work clothes might work if I'm spending my day in the (air-conditioned) office. But I'm not.

I don't criticize your choices, and if you criticize mine then, <massive shrug>.
If several people have said that you dress like a slob then, well, you probably dress like a slob. I would never call someone rude if they pointed it out to me because it would probably be true.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
When my father got into his 80's, he decided to wear sweats everywhere. This included going out with us for fancy meals on holidays. He was a friendly type who liked to joke with strangers and service staff, so he was not unobtrusive. I figured he could wear whatever he wanted at his age. One of my careers was as a sociologist and I was always intrigued to see how people treated him with his non-standard dress. Mostly, people seemed not to care how he was dressed.
As I have gotten older, I care less and less whether other people approve of my attire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement