Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times

Advertisements

A friend of ours recently lost her husband, who was collecting SS benefits. She, herself, does not collect SS as she was a teacher and never paid into SS. She received a letter from SS stating "she is entitled to SS widow's benefit" of an amount over what her husband was receiving. The next line says, "we are unable to provide you a check at this time."

She eventually will have to go to a SS office or spend a few hours on the phone but she has a paralyzed son so I wondered if anyone on C-D could provide some input. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:15 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
A friend of ours recently lost her husband, who was collecting SS benefits. She, herself, does not collect SS as she was a teacher and never paid into SS. She received a letter from SS stating "she is entitled to SS widow's benefit" of an amount over what her husband was receiving. The next line says, "we are unable to provide you a check at this time."

She eventually will have to go to a SS office or spend a few hours on the phone but she has a paralyzed son so I wondered if anyone on C-D could provide some input. Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert on this..BUT as a widow of a vet..and he passed almost 2 years ago..I had to provide a death certificate ...also since you friend hasn't be already vetted by SS..She will be required to provide an original of her marriage certificate ( The always demand originals to certify then will return them to you).

Then you didn't mention if your friend now retired or not..but IF not she may have to prove she isn't making over the limit ( at least I had to) So maybe take in her tax return as well.

There must be a lot more to it..surrounding having a disabled son..was her husband getting any benefits for his care and support? That may be something she may have to provide as well IF that is the case.

Hopefully more will chime in to offer further advice...Good luck to her..and pass along my condolences

Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Too many unknowns to offer much specific info. They all affect possible benefits.
1. Ages of husband, wife, child
2. Age husband started benefits
3. Age child's disability started
4. Effect of WEP on Survivor's benefit

And yes, she will need to provide original marriage and death certs, and possibly birth certs for child.

Here are some SSA webpages that may help to understand the possible issues.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou2.html
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou4.html
https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kban...uestionID=3759
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10026.pdf

Did the "award" letter she received not have instructions for what she needed to do further ? If not she needs to call the number on the letter and ask for an appointment to meet with a SSA rep for clarification of her and the child's status.

Good Luck to her.........

Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 AM

756 posts, read 835,953 times
SHe should at the very least call for more info and an appointment. In person they are able to provide you with full details of your particular situation. There is no obligation to take the benefits at that time. She can go home and think about it. If she decides to take them, she just gets another appointment to go back.

I found them to be extremely helpful.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:48 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I recently signed up for widow's benefits. I called the SSA's toll free number, and got an appointment at my local SS office. The appointment didn't take long, maybe because I was already "in the system" from when I applied for the $250 death benefit 3 years ago. At that time, the person I spoke to on the phone provided me with all the info I needed about how much the widow's benefit would be, and how and when to apply for it. I've found them to be helpful, also.

You have to be 60 years old to qualify, apply 3 months before your 60th birthday. I was asked to show my own photo ID, my marriage certificate, and bank account information.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:02 AM

Thanks everyone for all your help. She plans to call the SS 800# and set up an appointment so she isn't waiting hours and will have the proper documentation.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 PM

168 posts, read 174,478 times
She is entitles to 100% of husband's ss if she is fra. If she is under fra but over 59 she can elect to receive a pro-rated amount.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:25 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
My husband died when I was 57, and I signed up for widow's benefits a couple of months before I turned 60. The SS office I went to was extremely helpful and even helped me determine what my probable benefits would be on my own SS at age 62, FRA at age 66, and at age 70. I just got a letter stating that I can now apply for FRA benefits since I turn 66 next month, but I'm putting it off as long as I can. Anyway, I hope your friend talks with SS staff that are as helpful as I had. Good luck to her!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:31 PM

She went to SS and they told her that although she was "eligible" for her husband's SS, she is not "entitled" to it because she makes too much money in her retirement pension. She is 66 and is entitled to his medicare. I have never heard of being denied SS because you get too much $$ in another pension.

Her son, who is paralyzed, is 29 and receives his own money from SS.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
She went to SS and they told her that although she was "eligible" for her husband's SS, she is not "entitled" to it because she makes too much money in her retirement pension. She is 66 and is entitled to his medicare. I have never heard of being denied SS because you get too much $$ in another pension.

Her son, who is paralyzed, is 29 and receives his own money from SS.
If her husband or her were CSRS that is entirely possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement