Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 12:17 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I am retired and have been living in Peru (Miraflores district of Lima) for the past 13 years. I love everything about it....... Old people are respected by the young and we have really weird looking dogs.

I stayed there in Miraflores and enjoyed every minute. People were friendly and there was an old world respectfulness that they seemed to have toward everyone. We walked everywhere even after dark. We were walking along a sidewalk one night and a guy on the sidewalk pulled out a flashlight and made sure we crossed a street OK. Sadly, I don't remember the dogs...

I would never drive in Lima's traffic (worse than anything I've seen in Europe) and there are other challenges in a city that large that I'd not want to deal with. There were a few private homes with obvious security. Peru had some tough times in the past but that seems settled for the most part and the economy was in good shape. But still, there were clearly two extremes of existence (as there are in most places).

I think that, in general -- for Lima or elsewhere, if you are there and immersed in the local scene (and enjoy it) some of that odd stuff becomes second nature and it falls into place as part of life. There are places in the US that I'd not want to live but other people take it all in stride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM

7,429 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
This is a video of my neighborhood. The only problem is it as shot in the dead of winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XyL2qSn_20
Very nice.

Do they allow purchase of land/house there by foreigners? If not, the option would be a condo unit which I'm guessing anyone can buy anywhere.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Poland.

Nice friendly, down to earth, yet "classy" people, beautiful cities with lovely historic buildings, cheap living, a continued "adoration" for Americans (why, I don't know), and fairly cheap living even to this day. The food is awesome. I spent 6 months there in cowidge, found the language surprisingly easy to learn, and liquor was cheap (for American $'s). Seniors are highly respected, even by the youngin's. Healthcare is quite up to date. Unless things have changed, as a second generation Polish-American, I can "re-patriate." A trip there to suss it out is on the agenda. Krakow is my favorite city, but there are others. I think I want to be buried there.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-29-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Poland.

Nice friendly, down to earth, yet "classy" people, beautiful cities with lovely historic buildings, cheap living, a continued "adoration" for Americans (why, I don't know), and fairly cheap living even to this day. The food is awesome. I spent 6 months there in cowidge, found the language surprisingly easy to learn, and liquor was cheap (for American $'s). Seniors are highly respected, even by the youngin's. Healthcare is quite up to date. Unless things have changed, as a second generation Polish-American, I can "re-patriate." A trip there to suss it out is on the agenda. Krakow is my favorite city, but there are others. I think I want to be buried there.
If I may, I saw this video of Krakow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPXE8CL9oU

Old 05-29-2016, 09:05 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Poland.

How is the health care?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 PM

I know it's not New Year but it's just fun. One of the allures of high-rise living.

Makati, Philippines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRbkl8qZfk

Old 05-30-2016, 12:54 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Yup, totally lost the ability I had achieved in one language because later on I had no one to speak with, and reading wasn't enough.

I speak my present second language at an adequate level for daily life and simple conversations; but when I had a good friend who spoke the language my ability zoomed very quickly back to where it had been once before. But for me second languages are new skills easily lost, I have to keep at it.
I took a couple of years of Spanish in high school, plus worked with Mexican migrants in the summer. When I was planning a trip to Spain I tutored ESL at a local CC. I swapped language lessons with Spanish speakers, half an hour of only speaking English followed by half an hour of only speaking Spanish. By the time I got to Spain, it only took a couple of weeks before I was comfortable in the language again. Once you learn a language, it comes back quickly.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:10 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Israel.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm quite happy where I am in the US (NM) but if I "win the lottery" I'd consider a 2nd home in Umbria, somewhere around Assisi and Perugia.
Perugia, Italy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh_LQs_Rxow

Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yep. I'm that ignorant.
Well, then don't ask dumb questions so we don't think you really are that ignorant. Some people have never left their town, much leaa their state or country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement